• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I edit .mkv files now since Adobe decided to remove support?!!

Contributor ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, OBS is a very popular and free screen recording software that I use. It has several options for formats, but for multi-channel audio formats, only MP4 and MKV will work. They recommend using MKV files since it will still save the file to the drive even if the OBS program crashes, while with MP4 files, it will not save to the drive if it crashes, so you'll lose the screen capture.

That being said, I have several dozens projects created with MKV files and up until version 13.1.2 everything was fine besides a few bugs that Premiere always has. In the latest update, 13.1.3, Adobe decided to remove support of MKV files in both Premiere Pro AND Media Encoder, so now all my old projects are useless and cannot be opened, AND I can't even convert the mkv files to another format since Media Encoder can't even import the files.

Isn't the point of media encoder to encode media?

So as a paying customer of Adobe, using their professional video editing software as a professional Video Editor, I no longer can edit my videos.

How can I convert .mkv files?

And yes, I've sent Adobe feedback on the other site, but that's completely useless. It's obvious they simply do not listen to customers, there's feedback requests from years ago with several hundred upvotes like people wanting time re-mapping faster than 1000% that STILL hasn't been implemented, so my new feedback requests with 3 upvotes are buried in the many pages of other feedback requests, and are likely to never be implemented.

Anyway, I guess I should downgrade? Even though I have $700 worth of professional media applications from Adobe, what non-adobe program can convert mkv files, since I can't do that with Adobe?

It's like the Premiere team decides what will annoy customers, then they do it.

By the way, the new version 13.1.3 that says it has a bunch of stability improvements is actually REALLY SLOW. Projects take twice as long to open now, and while editing, it's really sluggish compared to 2 hours ago when I was in 13.1.2..

It just never ends with Premiere.

Yesterday, sent in 2 crash reports because it crashed while putting warp stabilizer on a clip.

Photoshop, After Effects, Illustrator RARELY crash, so why does Premiere ALWAYS crash? Why is Premiere ALWAYS buggy and ALWAYS slow?

When you have client projects due and Premiere is being buggy, so you upgrade because it lists a bunch of stability improvements, then it's actually twice as slow, it makes you really frustrated.

Sincerely, a customer with no more patience for Adobe.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Just had this problem today and here's how I managed to get around this issue using only OBS Studio to convert my .mkv into .mp4 really easily:

1. Lauch OBS
  2. Open "File"
  3. Select "Remux Recordings"
  4. In the left pannel, select the .mkv file you want to convert to .mp4 and in the right one set the destination
  5. Clic on "Remux"

Otherwise, if you haven't created the video files yet you can select the automatic remux option in OBS:

1. Open "Settings"
  2. Go to "Advanced"
  3. In the "Recording" section tick the "Automatic Remux t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

This is a great tool every editor should have. Has options to 'Cut without re-encoding'
https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

MyerPj_0-1706905867714.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of converting .mkv files, Handbreak has worked for me in the past:

https://handbrake.fr/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. I've used handbrake a bunch for other files, but never for .mkv files. Do you know if it'll handle the multi channel 4 audio tracks that will be paired with the mkv file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a while since I have used it (I'm due to test this with OBS with my team soon, so this is something I need to look into anyway!), however looking at the documentation, there is an 'audio passthru' setting, which I interpret to mean that the audio will remain the same as what is put into it, and mux'd into the output file.

Some information here (under 'audio defaults'):  https://handbrake.fr/docs/en/1.2.0/advanced/audio-subtitle-defaults.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recommend "professional video editors" start with "professional media".  Software screen recorders don't really produce such.  Use a hardware recorder for screen capture.  Something like the following.

https://www.atomos.com/ninjav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I've used pro i-o devices many times, but if the software screen recorder has worked fine for years, it's adobe limiting us, not the software screen capture company.

It's also good practice to convert footage to ProRes for example. Adobe even offers a solution for that; Media Encoder! They even offer ingesting footage and converting it upon import within Premiere! However, now I can't do that with mkv files! Premiere or Media Encoder does not allow me to ingest/import and convert mkv files to ProRes to edit efficiently.

What if you were given a hard drive full of mkv files to edit by a client? Adobe software used to be able to work with it, but up until two weeks ago, adobe software no longer can. So now we are forced to use third party applications when working with mkv was fine in 13.1.2 and older.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you were given a hard drive full of mkv files to edit by a client?

I would seriously consider turning down the job, as such a client isn't likely to be a professional, but a consumer who (very frequently, in my experience) brings unrealistic expectations about price and timing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is about a feature that was supported and now is not supported. It acknowledges multiple reasons why someone might have MKV files rather than other formats, and only questions Adobe's choice to end support for it.  An appropriate response should never be to denigrate other creators over what format they work in or which clients they choose to take on. 

This response is a very elitist viewpoint. It denies the existence of many smaller comercial and non-professional clients such as churches, families & individuals, small businesses, etc. Some of these smaller ventures are bread-and-butter clients for many designers and editors including those just starting out, honing their skills, or just prefer smaller, more flexible jobs and clients.

Your refusal to take on these jobs only makes the pool of folks who will smaller. And that let's them charge better rates for doing so. If these are too small or too unprofessional for you to bother, good for you, that doesn't change anything about why Adobe chose to no longer support the format when they previously did so. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your response is incredibly unhelpful. Your assumptions are ridiculous. Either answer the original question or go back to yelling at kids to get off your lawn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 06, 2021 Jul 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And ... you are referring to and commenting about a two-year old post.

Which hath a certain humor in it perhaps.

I and many others use OBS daily or near every day. I've never once had it crash ... does it crash regularly on your system? If so, then there's something on your system that needs some attention.

The very easy fix to needing to use recordings from OBS is simply to have OBS use mp4. As so many do. Problem solved.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Will,

Sorry for the removal of support. That's a real bummer—and you're not alone in wanting it back. You can upvote this feature request: Restore MKV Format Support – Adobe video & audio apps

In the mean time, check out this workaround: Re: problem with mkv format

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upvoted it. Thanks. Based on the past, I bet that it will not be added back though. Especially since older requests with several hundred upvotes that haven't been implemented stay on the first page, which by default makes new, or smaller requests with less votes buried.

That being said, I found out that OBS has a feature that can remux the mkv files to .mp4 after recording, which is an extra step to what I've been doing for a while, but at least I don't have to actually waste time rendering the files, it'll remux instantly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro supported file formats Apparently they added VFR support. All OBS MP4 recordings are in VFR which is why they have audio sync issues. Apparently if you drop this effect in it will sync up the audio and add and drop frames when necessary. Why this isn't a default feature or why in their right mind they would drop MKV I don't know but at least this is a decent if not non zero sum trade off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I'm doing screen captures without showing myself, the out of sync hasn't been an issue and re-muxing to mp4 in OBS has worked perfectly, but anyway - thank you for that information.

Ya, Adobe seems to love to take something that's fine, and add something new and shiny that takes several releases to fully work, while simultaneously messing something up that used to work haha it never ends.

For example, in the latest version, I'm still experiencing a bug with time remapping that has existed for several versions. I've filled out the feedback form, but it's useless because they seem to not pay any attention to it. Anyway, the bug happens where to get around speed ramping a clip past 1000%, I change the clip speed to 1000%, then change the time-remapping of the clip to 10% making it the exact same again; then I start doing speed ramping and when I do, it instantly turns the clip to 1 frame length, and I need to expand it out to see it again, and sometimes it's not correct so I need to do it again. But on the other side, we now don't have support of .mkv files in the latest version! sweet!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2020 Jan 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The newest version of OBS has a built-in remux feature. It will take some time, but you can remux your videos from mkv to mp4, without having to reencode, as you will with Handbrake.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2020 Apr 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remuxing to mp4 still doesn't work as Premiere doesn't want to play in the correct framerate of the video. I'm assuming this has to do with how OBS remuxes in VFR? It's a shame Adobe keeps removing features and adding other before tackling the loads of old bugs. Would love a solid fix from Adobe if they won't bring the feature back with already hundreds of votes since last summer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've remuxed this video SEVERAL times and I can not get this to work. I've remixed with OBS, FFMPEG, Handbrake, VLC, XMedia Recode, you name it. Every time I import it only gives me an audio file. Why?? I can play the mp4 just fine in file explorer, why is after effects only seeing it as an audio file???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you're having such troubles! Maddening.

I record in OBS routinely, and don't get any VFR, only CFR media out. I have OBS set to record mov files in the Settings/Output tab, and it works flawlessly. You might try that?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Neil. I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately the footage was not recorded by me and was sent by a studio. I did end up being able to fix it though! VLC has a fantastic conversion method that allows container transfers without re-encoding the video. I was able to take the 70 minute 4K clip and convert it without issues or loss of quality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just had this problem today and here's how I managed to get around this issue using only OBS Studio to convert my .mkv into .mp4 really easily:

1. Lauch OBS
  2. Open "File"
  3. Select "Remux Recordings"
  4. In the left pannel, select the .mkv file you want to convert to .mp4 and in the right one set the destination
  5. Clic on "Remux"

Otherwise, if you haven't created the video files yet you can select the automatic remux option in OBS:

1. Open "Settings"
  2. Go to "Advanced"
  3. In the "Recording" section tick the "Automatic Remux to mp4" option

Now you can use your footage in Premiere Pro!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @cedricpaulhiac!  It worked like a charm and is super fast. I have this screen record of 2.2Gb and it was converted from .mkv to .mp4 in the matter of seconds like 20-30secs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent!!! Thank You!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2024 Feb 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a great tool every editor should have. Has options to 'Cut without re-encoding'
https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

MyerPj_0-1706905867714.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines