• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you apply a transition to multiple clips? NOT using default transition.

Participant ,
Aug 22, 2012 Aug 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using CS6

I have videos on one track and titles on another track. I want to apply dissolve to black for the videos and gradient wipe to the titles.

Right now I have to assign dip as the default transition, select all the video, and apply default transition. Then find the gradient wipe, change *that* to the new default transition, select all the titles, and apply default transitions. Then I have to go back and reset my default transition to gradient wipe since that's my "main" default transition.

Uhhhh... why can't we just select a bunch of clips and drag ANY transition to the selection and have it apply just like regular effects? Why force us to do this complicated singular default transition dance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

This works from cs6 through 2017.

apply default transition to selection.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select all the video, and apply default transition.

How do you do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

select all the video, and apply default transition.

How do yo do that?

Huh? Say that I have 10 clips that require dip to black 2 seconds centered. 5 that require dip to black 4 seconds on the right. 20 that require cross dissolve of 2 seconds. 2 that require film dissolve at 2 seconds. What's the fastest way for me to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the only way I know is to drag and drop every transition, or change the default and use CTRL+D.  I see no way to add transitions across selected clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Well the only way I know is to drag and drop every transition, or change the default and use CTRL+D.  I see no way to add transitions across selected clips.

Is there any reason why transitions shouldn't be able to be applied just like Presets/Effects? Select a bunch of clips, drag a transition into that group, voila? Select a bunch, apply once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't work like that.  They just don't yet.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

I can't think of any reason why they shouldn't work like that.  They just don't yet.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It is ridiculous how many of these rudimentary issues I'm finding with Premiere... how old is Premiere?

Looks like it was released almost a decade ago. I absolutely can't fathom how I could have been the first person to come up with this suggestion in ten years.

Nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember that this is a user-to-user forum.

We have to submit feature requests just to have a chance at getting things changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am currently doing a simple project in the latest version of premiere.

i taught computer training classes for a number of years and have been out of the tech scene for about 5 years.

having observed application development now for about 20 years, i am floored by the lack of progress in application usability -- pretty much across the board (microsoft, apple, adobe, etc.).

if adobe would like someone to come in as an end-user advocate and help clean up the user procedures, really, give me a buzz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2012 Aug 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select a bunch of clips, drag a transition into that group, voila?

I was just made aware that you actually can do that.  Select the clips and in the Sequence drop down menu you'll see Apply Default Transition to Selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't get the default transition idea to work, but for those just looking to have a common transition for multiple tracks - you can just 'nest' the clips together that have a common transition, then drag the transition effect to the combined clip.

To nest, select the tracks you want, then right click and click nest. If you ever need to dive back into the individual clicks, double click on the nested sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a way to apply the default transition to a bunch of clips at once, selecting them on the timeline (I'm using Premiere 6.0).

What you need to do is to select the clips and enable trim (some red brackets will appear at the beggining or end of the clips). Then, right click and Apply default transition.

It works only with the default transition, but it's better than nothing!

This also works in cuts between two clips (CTRL + click). To select multiple cuts, use CTRL + SHIFT + click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 06, 2014 May 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D. Vivian,

d. vivan wrote:

What you need to do is to select the clips and enable trim (some red brackets will appear at the beginning or end of the clips).

I just marquee drag with the Roll tool to select the edit points.

d. vivan wrote:

Then, right click and Apply default transition.

Or use the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + D (Windows) or CMD + D (Mac).

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 29, 2017 Jan 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct.  @fuzzybabybunny & d. vivan this can be done.  The slow way is to click on each edit where you want a transition while holding down shift.  You will see the edit point highlight in a red color.  Then either drop the transition you want from the effects panel or right-click "apply default transition."  The fast way is to use the rolling tool to select all of the edit points at once as Kevin mentioned.  Then either drop the transition you want from the effects panel or right-click "apply default transition."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit points dont need to be selected. Just lasso the clips and hit Apply default transition to selection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only lasso the clips if the Rolling edit mode is activated (shortcut N key).  When the rolling edit tool is activated and you lasso the clips it selects the edit points.  If you're on the Selection tool (the arrow) and you lasso the clips it won't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope you can do this with the selection tool (V)

Been doing this for a long time now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2017 Feb 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I see how you're doing it now!  You don't just lasso the clips though, you have to lasso the clips while holding down the command key and then it works.  Otherwise the selection tool just selects the clips and not the edit points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't need edit points to add the default transition to a bunch of clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2017 Feb 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you do.  Otherwise it selects the clips and not the edit points.  Explain step by step please how exactly you are doing it or post a vid and provide the link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works from cs6 through 2017.

apply default transition to selection.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot view this vid, it's marked as a private video, but I think I figured it out now. 

You're selecting the clips and using the Command + D shortcut, correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its public now.

Edit: YT clip replaced by screendump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ok thanks! 

I was originally trying to right-click after selecting the clips and also trying to drag the transition from the effects panel after selecting, but both of those methods don't work here.  Good to know that it can be done this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a track with Powerpoint slide images that I'm trying to fade in and out over the video of the speaker using Cross Dissolve.

Sequence / Apply Default Transitions applies the transitions between adjoining slides, but doesn't do anything at the beginning and end of a slide or sequence of slides.  Apply Video Transition Ctrl-D is greyed out.

Any suggestions?  Using PPro CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines