• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to apply a Bokeh/Defocus effect IN PREMIERE PRO?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I would like to apply a bokeh blur to footage in premiere. I am aware that after effects has this option (called lens blur, I think), but I need it to be key-framable in premiere. (I don't want to go back and forth between the two programs every time I want to change the keyframes.)

I recently switched from Vegas Pro, which has a "defocus" effect that creates this effect excellently. I used it on the background at 1:00 on this video for excellent effect.

I tried to use the camera blur effect, and while it's okay it does not have the intense bokeh that was present with the Vegas defocus effect.

Is there a built in effect I can use, or some free premiere pluggin?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Yeah, I see what you mean, and I love that the bokeh flares the light like it does.

Here's a list of all the Adobe-approved plugins! The blur effects will be under the first section "Effects & Transitions."

Third-party plug-ins for Premiere Pro CC

You may be able to find one you like that's not on this list, as well! Googling "bokeh on premiere pro" would be a good lead on finding a specific one. Most plugins you can find online are friendly and fine, but the ones in that link are the ones that A

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Joseph!

Welcome to Premiere! I think this effect will be best achieved by using the "Gaussian Blur" on your Effects panel under

"Video Effects" > Blur & Sharpen

You can keyframe the effect easily in the "Effects Control" panel.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do to help!

-Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have tried to use Gaussian blur, and while it is adequate, it's not exceptional. Mainly, with Vegas' Defocus effect, the bokeh has a bright color and the edges of the bokeh are NOT feathered. With the gaussian blur effect in premiere, bright points of interest do become noticeable, but they are feathered out into the darker surrounding footage.

As seen in the linked video, the bokehs do have a transparent appearance, but not a feathered one.

Edit: spelling

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I see what you mean, and I love that the bokeh flares the light like it does.

Here's a list of all the Adobe-approved plugins! The blur effects will be under the first section "Effects & Transitions."

Third-party plug-ins for Premiere Pro CC

You may be able to find one you like that's not on this list, as well! Googling "bokeh on premiere pro" would be a good lead on finding a specific one. Most plugins you can find online are friendly and fine, but the ones in that link are the ones that Adobe knows are safe and compatible, so that's all I can specifically recommend to you.

Here's another thread from a user who was looking for the same thing as you!

bokeh effect?

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! I will look into that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines