• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to import SRT file with foreign language(Korean specifically)

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2018 Jan 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using Premiere Pro CC 12.0 on Mac.

I have Korean subtitle in SRT format, which works fines on YouTube and other Subtitle program.

But when I import it to Premiere pro, I get this.

Gospel Project_16-1.srt.00_00_05_18.Still001.jpg

Every letter is replaced with * mark. I checked the encoding, which was UTF-8, so I don't think its encoding problem.

I even tried converting original SRT to new SRT with encoding conversion, just to make sure. but it's all the same.

So, I've been manually copying each subtitle text from SRT and pasting it onto Premiere Pro's Caption panel. Then it works fine, but it's so much work!

Do you know any easier way to solve this problem?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since Adobe hasn't gotten around to answering this question in two months, I think I can help:

• Re-save the SRT file in your text editor using UTF-8 with BOM (byte order mark)

It appears that Premiere is incapable of properly interpreting SRT files encoded in UTF-8 without BOM. I had a project today that was in multiple languages, and this solved the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue - I tried saving as utf-8 - but didn't see an option for BOM. Didn't import into premiere properly.

any help appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

angelog272​​, you will need to use a text editor that supports saving to UTF-8 with BOM, such as Sublime Text. Unless you save with BOM, you will get the ***** treatment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ahh - thank you! I was trying to do it with text edit and couldn't find the option. Used Text Wrangler and boom. Thank you so so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I also used Subtitle app called Aegisub to export art file and change text encoding to "local". Once I saved set file with "local" text encoding, new srt worked fine in Premiere Pro. Can't believe it took me 3 months to figure out this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2018 May 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe that in 2018, it remains this difficult (and the solutions so obscure) to make use of SRT files in multiple languages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!
That solves the problem for Hebrew subtitles.

BTW, YouTube Studio is an amazing tool for subtitle creation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Helo Justin, I need to embed captions in multiple laguages to the same clip: do you know of a good tutorial i could read or watch to get started? Thank you in advance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Mac App developer. I have an app called SRT Converter which is served to convert between hundred of subtitle format. I am wondering if I can put this 'Export SRT File in UTF-8 with BOM for Adobe Premiere' to my app. I will do this within 15 days.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2024 Mar 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @augustjune  Based on some research online, I think you need to convert srt into Timed-Text Markup Language (.TTML) file to make it work.  Or you have to open the foreign subtitles file in a text editor that allows a BOM (byte order mark) feature. Then re-save your file using the UTF-8 encode with BOM enabled. After saving the file with this specific encoding, it might work. Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines