• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Import DPX Files into Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried importing the .dpx files through the media browser or through the dropdown menu option, but the .dpx files still do not sequence. Every time the image sequence box is marked, the .dpx files are unable to import fully, not with all of the individual files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Looking at your screenshots, it appears that you are importing a folder containing sequentially numbered DPX files. This will result in multiple instances of the DPX Sequence being imported (since the files are sequentially numbered, it will automatically import all individual DPX files as a DPX Sequence).

The Image Sequence checkbox in the Import dialog is dimmed as it will always import sequentially numbered DPX files as a DPX Sequence (a few other file formats also have this exception). If you

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the files correctly numbered referencing each frame? Are you selecting only the first one? What happen if you try importing with the import dialog (Ctrl+I)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2018 Jul 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathans, still having this problem? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2018 Sep 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello same problem on Mac : we can't import DPX sequence anymore

I'm on high Sierra 10.13.6 with Premiere CC 12.1.12

I have a lot of vfx on this format and I despair to see back this function.

Until now the only way I have, is to work with the 12.0.0 of Premiere
it's the last version of premiere can import DPX

Kevin, any solution or info about that ?
Do you know when the fonction go back or DPX import is over on Premiere ?

Thank's for this informations
Arnaud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathans and Arnaud,

Would it be possible for you to provide us with DPX sequence files that fail to import for you? This would greatly help us with our investigation.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jonathans and Arnaud,

If you have numbered DPX files, you only need to select the first DPX to import as a Image Sequence (all DPX files are grouped in a single Image Sequence file - acts as video file in Premiere). Are you seeing some DPX files not appear in the Image Sequence? If so, are all of your DPX files sequentially numbered?

Or, are you saying that you would like to import all of the DPX files as individual Still files in Premiere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this ever resolved? Having this same issue on the latest version of Premiere. Transcoding isn't really an option - DPX sequence was created from an After Effects composition specifically to retain raw quality for colour grading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trent Happel​, this should not be like this: Re: Import DPX Files into Premiere Pro CC

How can I send you the sample sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screenshots, it appears that you are importing a folder containing sequentially numbered DPX files. This will result in multiple instances of the DPX Sequence being imported (since the files are sequentially numbered, it will automatically import all individual DPX files as a DPX Sequence).

The Image Sequence checkbox in the Import dialog is dimmed as it will always import sequentially numbered DPX files as a DPX Sequence (a few other file formats also have this exception). If you wish to import a single DPX file as a still, you will need to move the DPX file on disk to another location (not next to sequentially numbered DPX files) or name it differently so that it is not part of sequentially numbered file names, then import that single file.

To import only one DPX Sequence, you can use the File > Import dialog and select only the first numbered DPX file. This will import is a DPX Sequence. The other option is to use the Media Browser and when you point that to your DPX folder, make sure the Directory viewers (eyeball icon) is set to DPX. It will then show your sequentially numbered DPX files as a single DPX Sequence which you can import.

it would be a feature request o be able to import a folder and only receive a single DPX Sequence. Please feel free to submit this request to User Voice Premiere Pro: Hot (5501 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

If I have misunderstood your issue, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A-ha, so this is how it works?

The DPX import appeared to work well. But this means that you have serious usability issue in Premiere:

When people try to import a DPX sequence they see the dimmed "Image Sequence" checkbox and automatically think that sequence import doesn't work. And they just click "Cancel" button. Because from what we see it is obvious that the sequence won't be imported.

What makes me to believe even stronger into the fact that DPX sequence import doesn't work is that when you try to import, for example, TIFF sequence, then the checkbox is not dimmed:

We have 2 different behaviours in the same conditions.

So, when I see the dimmed "Image Sequence" checkbox, then I even don't try to click "Open" button. I just click "Cancel" and try to find alternative methods/solutions.

I'm not new to Premiere and After Effects and I used to the scenario that if you click a file in a sequence, then it could be imported as a sequence together with all the files next to it. Or I can choose to import it as a single file (unticking the checkbox).

The last thing which makes my belief stronger: AE doesn't have this problem with DPX. And I perceive AE and Premiere as related products with a common environment. So when I see that in AE this import works well (checkbox is active), I automatically think that something is wrong with Premiere:

P.S. Trent Happel, as you're in Adobe team, maybe you can bring this idea to your colleagues faster? I'm just afraid that after posting this to the uservoice.com it will be lost in the hundreds of other requests and nobody will vote for it (or it won't gather enough of votes). But this is still a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2019 Jul 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All posts to User Voice are reviewed by the team. I have also forwarded this post to the team.

Thank you for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 12.1.2 problems when working with DPX image sequence (version 13.0 is not resolved ((when importing, the frame rate instead of 25 is 25.010, you can’t solve the problem of importing image sequence! The After effect can drop  directly into the bin image sequence folder. After effect understands , and exactly what you need to appear in Bin !! Why can't the Primere do this? You managed to release a new version 13.0 , but there are more BUGS  when working with DPX image sequence!! Do something with this !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible for you to supply us with DPX image sequence that gives you the wrong frame rate in Premiere Pro? This would be greatly appreciated and help us with our investigation.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this issue before in previous releases one workaround is to open in After Effects & Render out / Transcoded files of your preference. then bring those into premiere.  Haven't tried with latest release though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to have a numbered sequence without any distruptions first in your file sequence. Next you need to use the pull down menu to the right of the selection window and select Cineon (cin./dpx.). Then just highlight the first frame in the sequence and import. This should solve your problem. I don't know why they have the Image Sequence box there as it stays grayed out all the time. You used to be able to select this in the past. Kind of confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have problem with DPX sequence too.

jonathans16583806​, it works if you import not a sequence, but the entire folder which contains this sequence, like this:

After import, in Premiere Pro you will have it like a folder with individual files:

Then you go into the folder and drag any one of these files  into your timeline and Premiere makes clip out of it:

But the process is slow and laggy. For me it takes a lot of time to cache and make clip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro 2020 still have that issue with dpx sequence import? Frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2021 Jun 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey guys, I've found solution for this problem.

In my case I am using Premiere Pro 2020 14.3.2.

I had the same thing with the dimmed "Image Sequence" and couldn't open it.

So how to solve it:

- Go to Import

- Find folder with .dpx files

- Select the first one

- Click Open

It is not the "right way" as it should be but it works and it will appear as whole clip in your project. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines