• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing .mts AVCHD video into Premiere Pro CS5.5, HELP!

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2012 Jan 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am new on Adobe forums and I nedd a question answered.

I have seen that there is no definite answer on how to import .mts files from my Canon Vixia HFR20 to Premiere Pro CS5.5.

I get "The file has an unsupported compression type" message. For now I convert the videos to .AVI but i would why would I continuosly convert them?

I bought the camera mainly for the HD, so help soon would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Ethan

P.S: I have a PC to put that in mind...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, dragging a .mts file from the Media Browser onto the Timeframe went with a bang. The video now displays in the Program monitor.

One thing though is that Export does not list the .mts format. Is there a way to retain the same .mts format or other format that maintains the 60 frames/second frame rate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good tip to find for a newbie.  I can confirm that using the media browser sorted my issues as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too , it's useful to newbie, first, I tried the entire copy folder thing, then it failed with some unknown problems, luckily , have tried the browser, then it worked,and at the same time, I used one free app to help me if the browser didn't crack correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2016 Apr 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello How do I find the interface?  I have PP2 open and I do not see it anywhere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2016 Apr 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you really using Premiere Pro *2* ?  If so, there's no way it can import or edit AVCHD.  And there's no Media Browser in that version, either.  To work with AVCHD footage you'll need to upgrade to the CC version.

Cheers,

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2015 May 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2017 May 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest sourcing the higher level files if possible, and retaining the original file structure.

If you can't source them, at least bring in what you have via Media Browser. Sometimes where a single MTS take has spanned across two clips Premiere will import two files into the project that are the same exactly. Just double check they are they same and you could remove one if it bothered you.

Editing with MTS and movs will be fine, however to make Premiere work as smoothly as possible be sure to set your editing timeline to the format that the majority of the clips are in. For example, if 90% of the media is MOVS then grab one of the mov clips from the project bin and drop it onto the 'new sequence' button in you project panel and a new sequence will be created that will be set for optimized editing of MOVS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is too little too late but I saw that this thread still gets a lot of views. With most Canon cameras the easiest thing to do is use the Data Import Utility that the camera came with. Connect the camera to the computer and run the utility to automatically import the AVCHD (as .mts). Not only does it do it for you but if you have a camera that breaks longer scenes into small bits it will "stitch" them together while importing. Then just bring the .mts file into Premiere. Hope this helps.

Just a note too the Utility is now hosted by Pixela in case you dont have the cd and search the web to download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe Premiere 2018 supports .MTS files.

To avoid problems with the RAM you have to remove the files you want to put on premier from sub-sub-sub-folders, example:

YES: Movie.mts ----> move ------> to D: \ Movie \

NO: Movie.mts ----> move ------> to D: \ Movie \ SD \ File \ local \ Movie file \ HD \ because all these folders \

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines