Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Integrate 30 pds using identical automation for 20 layers per psd

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all-

I'm a fairly experienced photoshop user who's just learning to use premiere pro and I'm hoping someone can help me since I fear I'm using premiere pro in a way for which it wasn't designed...

Here's the background:  I'm building a movie for our local school in which I'd like to include a repeating sequence for each teacher that is essentially animated layers from psd files that have been built (one per teacher) using a dataset.  The layers on the psd include the  teacher's name, image, grade level, favorite book, favorite food, favorite hobby, etc.  Building the psds was within my skillset.  I can import the psds without issue as well.  I have also developed an appealing sequence that reveals the different layers for the first teacher using the effects panel to sliding them in from different directions, have them move, etc.  From a content standpoint, I have everything within the premiere pro world... and that's where I get stuck. 

Here's the question.  I have developed the one sequence that does everything exactly the way I want to.  I would like to avoid recreating the sequence for the subsequent teachers.  I'm not sure if I am being clear here, but what I am trying to do is replicate the photshop capability of essentially building one template, and using a dataset to populate many different instances of that template- but in premiere, I think I want to duplicate the sequence, but have it use teacher #2 for the second sequence, and teacher #3 for the third, etc.  Is this even possible?  I've tried building a sequence and then telling premiere the assets were offline, but that just seemed to cause problems.  Help?  Thanks for reading...

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Experiment , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

It's a bit more advanced but you might want to look at creating data-driven mogrts in After Effects, which can then be used in Premiere:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/data-driven-motion-graphics-templates.html

You'd still need to create multiple sequences; but if your information is in a table, it would make it easier to swap out for each person. If you relinked the image for Teacher#1 to Teacher#2, then it would replace it in both the Teacher#1 and Teacher#2 sequences since they a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit more advanced but you might want to look at creating data-driven mogrts in After Effects, which can then be used in Premiere:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/data-driven-motion-graphics-templates.html

You'd still need to create multiple sequences; but if your information is in a table, it would make it easier to swap out for each person. If you relinked the image for Teacher#1 to Teacher#2, then it would replace it in both the Teacher#1 and Teacher#2 sequences since they are using instances of the same clip. But if you duplicate the Teacher#1 sequence into a new project, relink the image there, then copy it back into your original project then the two sequences will keep their respective images because it will create a new copy of the 'image' clip which is linked to the other image file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much, Mike- I'll give that a try.  As a followup- is there a way to automate this?  I'm a programmer by training, and I'm at the point where I'd be happy to fall back and write a script if that would help- it would certainly cut down on user errors, which I'm really good at injecting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dabble with Python a bit, but I haven't yet got as far as starting to develop for Premiere so I don't have much else to say other than you'll probably want to start here:
https://developer.adobe.com/premiere-pro/

I'm confident you can achieve the automation you desire via the scripting route, of course it's up to you to figure out if the time savings are worth the investment into learning the Premiere API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect.  Thank you again!  Happy Holidays!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines