• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPhone 11 Pro (X, Xs) 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Participant ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone 11 Pro 4k 60FPS HEVC will not work in Adobe Premiere CC 2019/2020

Here is the issue:

The issue is that Adobe Premiere will never play the full clip if you try to move around the timeline. It will always revert back to the beginning of the clip and glitch out. It imports no issus, but playing on the timeline is wrong and glitched, even saving a project with the file in it crashes Adobe quite often. The codec is Apple's H265 which is the ONLY codec you can use to shoot 4K 60FPS. This means I have to run all footage through handbrake to even begin to use it in Premiere, this has been an issue for years. I just wish this response from their twitter was more than damage control and them actually having a solution.

This is where Adobe says this is not working as intended: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187219976249368576?s=20

This is the example video of it messing up: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1187408078741868545?s=20

And this is the reply I got back from customer support saying it doesn't happen for them, which I find highly unlikely:

Thanks for sharing the file! I have downloaded it and I'm going to share it with the engineering team for testing. I'll update you as soon as I hear from them. ^Shivangi
Oct 24, 2019, 5:34 PM
Thank you.
Oct 24, 2019, 5:35 PM

Thank you for remaining so positive and calm while our experts is working on it. ^Shailesh
Oct 24, 2019, 5:40 PM

Hi Tristan. sorry for the delay in response. We're unable to reproduce the issue at our end even with the sample file you shared. Would you mind contacting our phone/chat support team? We'll need to troubleshoot the issue further by hopping on to a remote session. Here's the link: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html Let us know. ^Shivangi

--------
So yeah... any fixes in the pipeline?

-----UPDATE from Twitter Support-----
2019-11-01 17_38_09-Window.jpg

-----------------UPDATE with Adobe 2020------------

a rep on Twitter who tried it on Mac and Mac it seems to be fine, because it is Apple's codec afterall wrapping the H.265. 

2019-11-10 18_53_44-Window.jpg

However on the PC side of things, you cannot play nor edit HEVC from an iPhone on a PC in Premiere without the issue shown above. Nor can you export or render without the issue above or a crash. Nor can you save a file without a crash 9/10 times. 

Adobe 2020 on a PC:

Example 1: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193680897087885312

Example 2: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193684072171741189

UPDATE 11/18/2019:

2019-11-18 18_12_02-Adobe Customer Care on Twitter_ _@tristanpope Hi Tristan, please file a bug so w.jpg

Support on twitter confirmed this as a bug not just a performance issue. I have sent them a file to work with via their twitter chat for testing.

I have gone ahead and filed a bug and pointed it to this thread as rewritting all of this would be impossible in the new format as requested as well: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/39063853-bug-report-iphone-...

UPDATE 12/13/2019:

I went on a bit of a rant on twitter. Cause twitter and this not being at least acknowledges as a bug and how it has been dealt with is so unprofessional.

I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...I went on a bit of a twitter tangent...

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.^KM is useless. And seems to not actually understand how computers work.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.Caroline is nicer but has now gone with the "it is processor based" approach.

A mac user contacted me about having the same issue.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

Seems like someone on a MAC is also having the same issues. So with this and my multiple processor tests seems that debunks the AMD is the devil because we are in bed with Intel theory.

2019-12-13 10_33_40-Anne Levasseur on Twitter_ _@tristanpope @AdobeCare Thanks a lot for your answer.jpg

Adobe seems to forget that filmmaking is also journalist and majority of journalists use mobile these days.

I cannot replicate that issue on an old Macbook running a VERY slow Intel processor from 2013, which according to Kevin should be my issue on the faster intel processor listed below in my spec list...

2019-12-13 10_44_12-I am having exacly the same problem with video fro... - Page 3 - Adobe Support C.jpg

but as you can see on the macbook with a much slower processor from intel... no issues just a little laggy: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204218684341997578

What I would like to see is someone who has a mac with both Windows and MacOS on it and can bootcamp into windows to test a premiere timeline then ON the SAME machine do it on the MacOS side of things. I bet you on the Bootcamp side you will get the stutter and on the Mac side you will not. But I am not going to do all the work for Adobe here. Stupid I had to do this much research when they have an example file that doesn't work already sent by me.

UPDATED VIDEO on how to work with this footage until ADOBE decides to care about it's paying SERVICE, Davinci Resolve on the same computer loaded at the same time, running the footage without a hitch:

https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1204999383378477056

Best part is this is free software for most, and a one time purcahse if you need the extra features. But our payed for every month software giant can't seem to handle it and the excuses are just piling on rather than just admitting to the bug and giving us an ETA on when it will be fixed.

So that's it folks, this is where we are at. Davinci Resolve or Handbrake until Adobe get's a clue.

STATUS UPDATE JAN 8 2020:

Still not working or fixed.

Tested on multiple computers. These are some of their specs:

First rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR RUSH Chassis with Tempered Glass Sides, Brushed Black Aluminum

**Motherboard:** ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99

**Processor:** Intel® CoreT i7 6900X 8-core 3.0GHz/3.5GHz Turbo 20MB L3 Cache w/ HyperThreading (16 Threads) OC to 4.2GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 32GB HyperX® FURYT DDR4- 2666 (4x8GB) [QUAD Channel]

**Graphics Card:** Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition

**Power Supply:** 860 Watt Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum

**Operating System Drive:** [M.2 NVME SSD] 512GB Samsung® 950 Pro [2,500MB/s Sequential Reads]
**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 1 gig samsung ssd

Second Rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte White

**Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX

**Processor:** AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz

**Processor Cooling:** [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR EPIC 240 Supercooler

**Memory:** 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)

**Graphics Card:** NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply:** EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM

**Operating System Drive:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Three:** 1TB Samsung SSD

**Hard Drive Bay Four:** 2TB HHD WD Scratch Disk for Cloud Services

**Operating System:** Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Third Rig:
**Chassis: MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte Black 

**Motherboard: MSI Pro Carbon AC ATX

**Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz Turbo)

**Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] MAINGEAR Epic 240 

**Memory: 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB) 

**Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply: BeQuiet 850W Gold

**Operating System Drive: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**M.2 NVMe SSD: 2TB Western Digital Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD [up to 3,400 MB/s] (SSD-WD-SN750-2TB-M.2-NVMe (WDS200T3X0C))

**Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home - 64-bit, OEM 

TOPICS
Export , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 26, 2020 Jun 26, 2020

Were you using a new project from scratch or existing ones? The fix (shipped in 14.2) requires deleting the media cache if using previously existing projects. I'm guessing you might have already tried this, but wanted to make sure. (Filing a new bug now and trying to isolate as much as possible.)

Thanks for your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a beefy machine to edit H.265 realtime. And I mean beefy...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my rig. 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX
Processor: AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz
Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling] 240mm Corsair H100i
Memory: 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6
Power Supply: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM
Operating System Drive: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe
seocond drive M.2 NVMe SSD: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Think this consitutes as beefy. Also the issues shown in that video is obviously a software not a hardware issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you working with footage you ran through Handbrake, or is that the raw HEVC footage in the timeline?

JVK

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I convert it through Handbrake to be H.264 it works fine.

If I use the raw out of iPhone .mov H265 it will not work.

Video referenced above.

According to Adobe's twitter, this is not what should be happening:

2019-11-01 15_59_18-Window.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you upload a short clip to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I uploaded a clip to Adobe's team already, but they said there was no issue..... I would prefer to keep that for them only as these are unedited files I don't want out in the public for a film and the candid nature of the directing in the sound. I can send it privately however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tristan,

If Shivangi over at Adobe had no issue, it might be some issue with your hardware. The only thing unusual is your AMD processor. I wonder if that could possibly be at the heart of the issue since it's the only thing significantly different since we've tested both on PC and Mac from our side. Possible to try this media in a CC2020 project. If that doesn't work, perhaps you can try the files on another machine and report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

This happens on both Intel and AMD based systems. I have two rigs. Both have the same issue. I never heard back that this was tested on a PC. Have you confirmed this test?

First rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR RUSH Chassis with Tempered Glass Sides, Brushed Black Aluminum

**Motherboard:** ASUS Rampage V Extreme X99

**Processor:** Intel® CoreT i7 6900X 8-core 3.0GHz/3.5GHz Turbo 20MB L3 Cache w/ HyperThreading (16 Threads) OC to 4.2GHz

**Memory:** 32GB HyperX® FURYT DDR4- 2666 (4x8GB) [QUAD Channel]

**Graphics Card:** Nvidia 1080 GTX Founders Edition

**Power Supply:** 860 Watt Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum

**Operating System Drive:** [M.2 NVME SSD] 512GB Samsung® 950 Pro [2,500MB/s Sequential Reads]
**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 1 gig samsung ssd

Second Rig:

**Chassis:** MAINGEAR VYBE Mk. V - Matte White

**Motherboard:** ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/ WIFI - ATX

**Processor:** AMD RYZEN 9 3900X 12-Core 4.6 GHz

**Memory:** 64GB HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 3200MHz (4x16GB)

**Graphics Card:** NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6

**Power Supply:** EVGA 850W SuperNOVA P2 80+ PLATINUM

**Operating System Drive:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Two:** 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVMe

**Hard Drive Bay Three:** 1TB Samsung SSD

**Hard Drive Bay Four:** 2TB HHD WD Scratch Disk for Cloud Services

**Operating System:** Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64-bit, OEM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me 24 hours or so to investigate.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TristanNYC I have the same issue.  Been trying to capture it via Screenspresso but whenever I attempt to it renders fine in Adobe.  Was trying to write up my own post on this (https://community.adobe.com/t5/Premiere-Pro/Premiere-Pro-2020-Stutter-and-Incorrect-Clipping-Render-...) but yours is much more comprehensive. 

https://twitter.com/ZTodd/status/1193666579298443266?s=20 <-- thats the best I could do for side by side, top shot is the file playing through, bottom shot is the file in premiere resetting about 2/3 of the way through

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the new version ztodd.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He is using the new version...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tristan,

I'm not sure what's going on there, but I advise you to try a brand new CC2020 project. My underpowered Mac can import and playback this format (albeit with dropped frames - my system is outdated). You can also try transcoding it to an editing codec for best results. HEVC is not the best format to edit with. In fact, it's the absolute worst performing codec there is. So, no, you do not need to introduce Handbrake to your workflow. After you try the new version, do let us know if it solved your issue or not.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I highly recommend you try this on a PC. I already spoke with a rep on Twitter who tried it on Mac and Mac it seems to be fine, because it is Apple's codec afterall wrapping the H.265. 

2019-11-10 18_53_44-Window.jpg

"HEVC is not the best format to edit with. In fact, it's the absolute worst performing codec there is. So, no, you do not need to introduce Handbrake to your workflow."

What? If it is the worst codec to work with ever, then yes you do need to encode it with handbrake on every platform even if it did work then...

But this is not the issue at hand, the issue at hand is that you cannot play nor edit HEVC from an iPhone on a PC in Premiere without the issue shown above. Nor can you export or render without the issue above or a crash. Nor can you save a file without a crash 9/10 times. 

Adobe 2020 on a PC:

Example 1: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193680897087885312

Example 2: https://twitter.com/tristanpope/status/1193684072171741189

Still not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, I'll give trying a PC when I get back into the shop tomorrow. I'm on my day off today. That said, I thought Shivangi tried this and she's definitely on PC.

Sorry, that sentence is not exactly clear. What I meant to say was to transcode using Media Encoder and furthermore use an intermediate codec like ProRes or Cineform. Not H.264 with Handbrake.

After I try your issue out on PC, I'll let you know the results. OK?

In the meantime, try Media Encoder, please.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate it. Would be  great to get a fix for this since it has plagued the iPhone footage since HEVC has been released 3 years ago. Let me know your results. If you need the file let me know.  

Also what exactly do you want me to test with media encoder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try encoding a clip to ProRes in Media Encoder.

Cheers,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried handbrake for the first time yesterday (~10 hours or rendering) and changed it to mkv h264, but now 2020 won't accpet the files.

Will attempt ProRes in Media Encoder tonight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin_Monahan

The media conversion works through Media Encoder, but as such it strips vital metadata which is needed for the project.  This essentially renders the files (still) uselss.

So, I don't see a work around through Handbrake or through Media Encoder as viable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2019 Nov 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've written a short powershell script using GetMediaInfo to rename my files to their encode dates + filename (needed for projecT) and will now pass them through encoder... 

#Import the GedMeidaInfo DLL
Import-Module -Name C:\users\alexa\Desktop\test\GetMediaInfo.dll 

#Change to my target DIR
cd "Z:\2019Videos\iCloud Photos"
#Only look at my source .MOV files
$SourceFileArray = Get-ChildItem  -Filter *.MOV 
foreach($SourceFile in $SourceFileArray)
{
    #Get the Encoded Date out, as a string
    $FileDate = (Get-MediaInfo $SourceFile -General | Format-List Encoded_date) | out-string
    #Clean extra stuff...
    $FileDate = $FileDAte -replace "Encoded_date : UTC",""
    $FileDate = $FileDAte -replace "-","_"
    $FileDate = $FileDAte -replace "`r`n",''
    $FileDate = $FileDAte.Substring(0,11)
    #Combine the file date and the existing name
    $TargetName = ($FileDate +"_"+ $SourceFile.Name)
    #Rename File
    echo $TargetName
    #$StringDate = $FileDate.ToString()

Rename-Item $SourceFile -NewName $TargetName

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does this do exactly? Because holy confusing batman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Kevin, I think Tristan noted it earlier, but I am using 2020 (14.x).  

The project I'm working in is brand new and created in 2020 natively.  I had initially thought it was a 2020 problem and loaded into 2019, but I had the same result.

I'd love to not use handbrake....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having exacly the same problem with video from iPhone Xs.

Video recorded on iPhone Xs (iOS 13.2) using DJI Mimo App at 4K 30fps (mostly), some using the camera's native app at 24fps and 30fps

Moved video files to Win 10 using iCloud Files. I am working on Win 10 Pro (current version) + Premiere Pro (latest version)
As for hardware the i work on Intel i9 9900K, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080 Super . I worked on an NVMe disk and NVMe + SSD.

Other programs playback footage no problem. Encoding it to different format with Handbrake also is no problem.
This is unacceptable for me. To see such big and professional company have problem with simple phone camera video is blows my mind.

I found out that after changing video settings in Camera App Properties (iOS -> Settings->Format) from High Efficient to Most compatible allows me to work on those new recorded vides no problem at all.

Base on that I assume that HEVC is problem here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are correct it is the HEVC that is causing the issue. But you cannot record 4k 60fps or 240fps 1080 in anything but HEVC. This started with the iPhone X. And still has not been resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines