Exit

iPhone 12 Pro Dolby Vision HDR Export Solved

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sample Footage: 

https://youtu.be/xQjX-VGM7MY 

Ok finally after a month I've worked it out how to Export iPhone 12 Dolby Vision HDR projects in Premiere Pro and to save anymore tears for all of us 😂  1: Import your iPhone footage into Premiere Pro I'm currently using version 14.5 which you will need. 2: Set your sequence to match frame size, frame rate etc but the main thing we need to do is change "Working Color Space" to Rec 2100 HLG. iPhone Dolby Vision colour space is Rec 2020 HLG but this will work for now until they update Premiere. 3: Make sure when you color grade set your scopes to HDR and color space to Rec 2100 HLG. 4: Ok this is where I lost my mind for the last month but finally worked it out. For Export choose MXF OP1a Format Video Codec: XAVC QFHD Intra Class 300 Next go to HDR Graphics White (Nits) make sure this is 203 (75% HLG) which is standard. Tick Render at maximum depth, Enable Smart Rendering Codec, Hybrid Log Gamma, Use Maximum Render Quality. If your wanting to upload to YouTube or for a client this is the best and only option I've found that works with Premiere. I hope I've saved everyone from this headache. 

TOPICS
Editing , Export , Formats , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great for me. Just don't really know what to do with the huge mxf file. How did you get it to something more manageable for the end consumer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah unfortunately the file size is large. Until they update Premiere where we can export to H.264 or H.265 in HDR this is the only option I've found that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try this, it comes out too red. It looks perfect in Premiere, in the preview and also if I import the mastered file back into Premiere. But if I export as a quicktime or if I upload the mxf file to YouTube, it comes out with over saturated red tones

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to bring down the Reds when you Colour grade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for this! This was a huge help. Curious if you have tried exporting with Premiere v22? It seemed to me the default export setting for MXF OP1a Format Video Codec: XAVC QFHD Intra Class 300 works even though that shows HDR Graphics White (Nits) make sure this is 100 (63% HLG). I could be missing something and it still needs the extra steps.

Do you have any suggestions of how to use one of these clips in a mixed footage sequence?

Thanks again!

Brett

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brett,

Glad to help. I havnt tried working with Dolby HDR footage in the new version of Premiere V.22 but hoping you can export out using H.265, fingers crossed.

As far as using the footage on a "Mixed Sequence" that is fine, but being the fact that it is mixed you cant use the Dolby HDR format using Rec 709 colour space etc. The Dolby HDR clip will be a standard Rec 709 clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick update: Yes you can Export Dolby HDR using Mp4 | H.265 which is brillant, just tried it and it works perfectly, no more large files sizes!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am exporting a 6 minute video which is coming to 1.6G. I chose HVEC (H.265) with "HVEC - Match Source - HLG" which shows best previews. I am wondering if there is any other option to make this a smaller size video since it is significantly larger than if I use "HVEC (H.265)" with "Match Source - High Bitrate" and selct the HDR option of 300. Appreciate any tips or feedback. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1.6 GB is pretty standard size for a 6 minute video especially using HDR as there is more information. You can try adjusting your bitrate to a smaller output but you could loose some quality. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines