• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to change the duration of the timeline in Premiere Pro CS5.5?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm used to working on Avid systems where the length of the timeline is determined by the last asset in the timeline, where it ends. I'm editing commercials and don't need or want a 10 minute timeline. Does anyone know how to change the duration of the timeline, like you can in After Effects? I've tried everything I can think of and It seems like it is not possible.... Thanks!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Your timeline ends with the last media file...
ignore anything beyond that.  That's what Premiere does.

You can use the backslash key (\) to fit your timeline view
to the length of the assets it contains.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, You mean you have 10 hr videos on to your timeline and you want to export only 2 min video right? can you share Screenshot or something that would better to understand.

If you want to Export only 2 min video from 10 hr clip in timeline, mark In and Out points in Timeline. Go to export and in range select source In/out and export.

Thanks,

Suraj Shinde

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my new post to help explain the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding to the heap of thanks! It's not perfect, and it's stupid that I can't dictate the length of the sequence but this is way better than nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2022 Dec 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm still having trouble shortening my 10-hour timeline for a 2-minute video. Could you elaborate more on how to shorten it or post a quick video? Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2023 Mar 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for the tip. I'm still having trouble shortening my 10-hour timeline for a 2-minute video. Could you elaborate more on how to shorten it or post a quick video? I feel like I'm doing what you said, but the blank space isn't getting any smaller. Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2024 Mar 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! So for those confused, click on the timeline window, hover over the top of that window to allow for window resizing. Then drag the window down, and back up to where you want. Doing this will reset the timeline amount to the standard 10min beyond the last asset file. Thanks so much Easilycrazyhat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2017 Mar 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue hasn't been answered for me.
In fact, when I export, the output is 30 minutes long!
The clip is just 1:36.
Why does it extend so much blank space and how do I eliminate it?
Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Is there no solution yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are in the XXI century and adobe still does not solve the problem of the long time of the timeline, I think I will change to Davinci.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2019 Jun 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PPro CS6 was last updated August 2013 and is End of LIfe and no longer updated

If you want new features, you have to buy a Cloud subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go the end of the last clip in your sequence (the start of the black section you want to delete).

Mark IN

Hit END

Mark OUT

Hit X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2020 Jun 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 2 factors being discussed here.

1) Seeing only the visible data on the Timeline.

Seeing the Timeline only where there's data was covered by using the \ (<--backslash) which is usually located just above the "Enter" key on a keyboard.

2) The length of the video that gets saved & exported.

I shortened a video a few days ago and forgot to shorten the gray line above the data on my Timeline.  I don't know what it's called but it's right below where you put the time marker.  It's the gray bar with the arrows pointing at it in the picture attached to this post.  Go to the far right end (where the 3 arrows are) and drag the blue end of the line back to where your video ends.  It will sense it when you're real close to it.  It's possible that it somehow accidentally got dragged waaaaaaay out and it's doing its job and telling the computer to export what's inside it.

Good luck!

PPro 2020 Line.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 and Premiere still don't allow you to change the length of the timeline it seems.... I am making a 5 min. clip and it always show as a 15 to 17 minutes clip to me, so resizing the timeline always looks pretty bad. I too feel this is pretty dumb in any situation. And this famous +10 minutes must be hell of a stupid thing when you try to work on a 1 min. clip... Seriously, this is the worst feature I saw in Premiere so far and it should be addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, So I am quite certain that the problem is with having messed with Nesting or Duration of longer clips. If you have a nested clip that is 20 minutes long and you adjusted the entire duration of the nested clip to 15 minutes then the sequence will be 20 minutes long but the work area will be 15.

So you have a cutting board with bits that extend past the working area.

See Screens. I am now Quite CERTAIN This is the "Problem" It isnt really a Problem once you know what is causing it. 

But agreed, the Nested duration should not be reflected in the Sequence Work Area. 

Capture1 - Copy.jpgCapture2 - Copy.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines