• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add the ability to keyframe an imported After Effects MOGRT

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be extremely useful to be able to keyframe the controls in Premiere Pro for a MOGRT (Motion Graphic Template) created in After FX. I create a template in AFX, add it to CC libraries, I can import this into Premiere and adjust the controls, but I can't keyframe them. This would take the power of MOGRT's to a whole new level.

I have extensively documented the process I'm trying to do here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/255599

Regards, aTomician
Idea No status
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Hi Y'all... 
This isn't supported because properties that get added to the Essential Graphics Panel and get exported to Mogrtland can only represent 1 value at a time. 
The control in Premiere can only tell Tiny Inception After Effects (nested inside Premiere Pro to make Mogrts work) “make this Opacity 60” ... it can’t tell Tiny Inception AE, “make the opacity go from 20 - 60 in 3 seconds from time 1 to time 4.”

It's a limitation in how the communication between Premiere and Tiny Inception AE wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Contributor ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm loving the added controls available in the motion graphic templates, but am I missing something?  I want to keyframe the start and end of a change in opacity, which I bodged together with a slider & expression.  I was hoping the fact that opacity is now a valid control would mean no more workaround, but I don't see an option to keyframe.  Is this true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can keyframe any element of a mogrt created in PrPro in the ECP.

Each element will have it's own line there to work with.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a mogrt created in AEP.  Does that change things?  The ECP has each line, but no keyframe icon and, FWIW, the Graphic Parameter "effect" is greyed out, too.

ECP2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh ... Mogrts created in Ae are more "locked down" ... they only user adjustable parameters are those added to the exported UI EGP panel in Ae. So, in Ae you should be able to alter that. And to get control in PrPro, you need to drag the item from the effects layer listing for the comp in Ae up to the EGP panel. Then the PrPro instance will be able to change that bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think until now you can keyframe mogrts coming from AE.

They are meant to provide you with controls over the animation and

not actually customizing or altering the keyframes inside the animation.

Mogrts were designed to smooth the workflow between motion designers using AE

and video editors using Premiere Pro. a video editor will not bog herself down with

keyframing techniques, she would just change colors, alter the design elements,

change text (although font change is still missing), change position rotation and other

properties without affecting the essential animations and motion keyframes.

you can always still alter the motion and transform properties of the mogrt clip

itself in the 'Motion' menu and add an additional 'Transform' effect on it with all

possible keyframes that you can work with inside premiere.

Hope this helps

Carlos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, got all that.  I was just hoping the opacity slider would be keyframe-able so I could change the duration of a fade in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess you can write an expression for opacity duration and attach it to another

slider controller inside AE if I got you right, can help you out with some expressions

if you share screenshots of your workflow on AE

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can check with whoever created that Mogrt.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Apr 13, 2018 Apr 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C'est moi, unfortunately! 

@carlosz13485882 -- I have that in place, I was just hoping that having opacity available would mean no more workarounds.  I had three sliders in place for Scale, Y position and start of opacity ramp.  This new release let me kill two of the three.  Just being greedy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a bunch of motion graphics templates I've coded up in AE, I really really want to find a way to keyframe these in Premiere.

Is there any methods, any workarounds, any way at all of doing this?

It would be very useful for me - for instance I have a feature picker that draws a line from 2 points - from a feature on a product video to text, to highlight what the text is referring to.  This has a minor animation when entering, plus a couple of other options that would make it very time consuming to create entirely in Premiere.  I have this nicely coded up in AE and I can simply keyframe the two points and everything else links up for me.  However it does mean that I have to export a precomp from Premiere into AE via media encoder, animate the line and add the text, and then export it out and back into Premiere.  This also means that if I have to edit the text, it means repeating the process.

Trying to keep my workflow simple, I'd love to be able to add text and keyframe the two points in the mogrt directly in Premiere.  Is there a way?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you make a mogrt in Ae, you need to include most anything you'd want the editor to be able to control in the EGP within Ae. This particular question ... has me puzzled. I don't think I've tried this, and I'm at home on my laptop, not at the studio on my editing rig.

For general info, Jarle Leirpoll ... one of the "pioneers" of mogrts before they were an acknowledged "thing", just released a book on making mogrt's in Ae. Adobe, while reviewing it for accuracy, liked it so much they acquired it and it is now linked from their site ...

Leirpoll ebook, Making Mogrts: https://adobe.ly/makemogrts

Neil

(Btw ... I was the proof-reader for the book ... )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Neil.  I'm not hundred per cent sure I've got what you're saying but I'll try to clarify - I've got a mogrt template in AE, added the relevant controls to EGP, i've exported the graphic as a mogrt through creative cloud, and I can drag it into a premier project from CC libraries.  I can edit the mogrt using the controls in EGP exactly how I want - but I can't change the controls over time using keyframes in premiere because there no option to.  And that's what I want to do. 

The reason behind this is it often requires a lot of tweaking to get it right and to go into as every time I want to make a small change is quite time consuming.  I didn't know if it was possible to keyframe directly in premiere to give me an easier editing workflow.

I will have a read through the guide you sent, and see if I can find an easier way to work.  I can add some screenshots next time I'm at my computer if you think that would help explain what I'm trying to do.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just grabbed one of the 'included' mogrts, which may have been made in PrPro for all I know. I was able to go into the ECP and modify the keyframes for that one. But then ... with PrPro created mogrts, ​everything​ is up for grabs by the editor.

Position, scale, and such are "supported" properties within the EGP in AfterEffects, which means you should be able to drag those from your comp to the EGP and have them available for the PrPro editor. Have you tried adding the keyframes controls you've applied in Ae to the EGP panel there?

Also, in the book, page 65, is a section on changing the timing of keyframes using expressions, and he gives some expressions to use as samples for that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Tomy-rex!

Were you able to adjust your .mogrt in Premiere? I'm super curious to hear if this worked.

Thanks!

Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carolinesears Not yet, I'll do some testing today and share some screenshots of how I get on.  I haven't been able to do it before, but if I share some screenshots of what I'm trying to do then maybe it will make it clearer.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello carolinesears​ and R Neil Haugen

OK, here's my graphic in AE, although it looks very simple, it's got some nifty coding going on.  What it's for is to draw a line between a feature on a product video and a piece of text, so that it's very clear what the text is referring to on a video.

Below is roughly what the line would look like in a finished video

In the EGP I have a control for either end of the line, and a check box so that I can change whether the line starts vertically or horizontally.  (so I can have  ___|  or  |¯¯¯  )

In Premiere, I have this precomp below.  the product with the wheel is moving, but the text isn't, so I want to have the line go from the text and follow the wheel as it moves into the scene.

I drag in the mogrt from CC libraries into the precomp, and I have the configurations on the right.

I can very quickly change the lines mogrt to point from the text to the wheel.

BUT - there are no keyframes.  Yet this is an essential example of where I want to be able to keyframe the mogrt I've made so that the line can follow the wheel as it moves into the frame, it would save a lot of work.

Is there anything I can do - any hacks, methods, anything I can use to make it possible to keyframe the two control points in Premiere?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not that I'm aware of. Would be a nifty ability, but I think you'd need to send that into the UserVoice system as an idea ... post it back here, and ask everyone you know to up-vote it.

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature service: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that would be so useful! The development of .mogrts is still ongoing and we're constantly looking for ways to improve the feature. Please follow the link that Neil shared to request keyframing within .mogrts! Our engineers check that page regularly for ideas to work on.

If you share the link here, I'll upvote it as well so it will have a higher priority!

-Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomy-rex,

Sorry for the frustration. I know what you want to do.

Is there anything I can do - any hacks, methods, anything I can use to make it possible to keyframe the two control points in Premiere?

Not at this time. You would need to create the .mogrt in Premiere Pro, not After Effects.
Can you try that? You might need to construct it differently, though. Come back with questions.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, thanks for the comments.

R Neil Haugen​  and carolinesears​ I've submitted a feature request here: Add the ability to keyframe an imported After Effects MOGRT – Adobe video & audio apps - any votes much appreciated!

Kevin-Monahan​ - Thanks for the tip.  But I don't believe I can hard code animations in Premiere can I?  Do you think it's possible to create a MOGRT in Premiere with the right controls, and edit in AE to add in any code, so that it can still be keyframed in Premiere?

Cheers.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I up-voted ... thanks for posting back!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe I can hard code animations in Premiere can I?  Do you think it's possible to create a MOGRT in Premiere with the right controls, and edit in AE to add in any code, so that it can still be keyframed in Premiere?

You can create templates in Premiere Pro. All the ones created for Rush are from Premiere. Try it and report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any methods, any workarounds, any way at all of doing this?

No. .mogrts created in After Effects contain no keyframe capability. You can create .mogrts in Premiere Pro where keyframing is possible, however.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've submitted a feature request here: Add the ability to keyframe an imported After Effects MOGRT – Adobe video & audio apps - any votes much appreciated!

I upvoted. Thanks for making the request.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've upvoted too! - this feature seems like a bit of a no brainer. Really hope it's included in the next version.

What I found weird, was that I actually managed to see keyframes inside Premiere from a template made in AE (see my attached screengrab), and for a second I was like "I got it working!". But then the moment I de-selected the clip, the keyframes disappeared.

Bit odd ?!

Screenshot 2018-11-18 at 14.47.59.png

Votes

Translate

Translate