• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add the ability to keyframe an imported After Effects MOGRT

Enthusiast ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be extremely useful to be able to keyframe the controls in Premiere Pro for a MOGRT (Motion Graphic Template) created in After FX. I create a template in AFX, add it to CC libraries, I can import this into Premiere and adjust the controls, but I can't keyframe them. This would take the power of MOGRT's to a whole new level.

I have extensively documented the process I'm trying to do here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/255599

Regards, aTomician
Idea No status
TOPICS
Graphics

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 27, 2023 Jul 27, 2023

Hi Y'all... 
This isn't supported because properties that get added to the Essential Graphics Panel and get exported to Mogrtland can only represent 1 value at a time. 
The control in Premiere can only tell Tiny Inception After Effects (nested inside Premiere Pro to make Mogrts work) “make this Opacity 60” ... it can’t tell Tiny Inception AE, “make the opacity go from 20 - 60 in 3 seconds from time 1 to time 4.”

It's a limitation in how the communication between Premiere and Tiny Inception AE wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 124 Replies 124
124 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sam_dawson239​​ - interesting!  When you have it selected, can you grab and move the keyframes?

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, you CAN keyframe MoGRT properties in PPro. However, the keyframes will be ignored. Just for fun, in the Timeline, if you right click on a MoGRT's "FX" icon, you will be able to select a property from the Graphic Properties wing menu. This enables the Rubber Band for the clip to accept keyframe creation/manipulation, directly in the Timeline. However, any values/keyframes created will not be calculated - looks like the values are locked when the MoGRT is first read by PPro. Perhaps the functionality will be opened in the future.

For now, you will have to write Expressions in AE that can internally adjust keyframes in time while also accepting a change of values. Off course these changes will have to be user-initiated within the EGP. I believe Jarle's MoGRT e-book covers this topic.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ye you can grab and move the keyframes. But Roland's response is correct (unfortunately!)... Premiere doesn't read the keyframes at all.

It's like they're teasing us !

.. I'm sure in a future it will work. I'm pretty sure a lot of companies hold back on some features, so that they have stuff to release down the line.

For now.. I'll have a look at the expressions in AE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sam_dawson239 Hmm don't think Adobe are so organized that they 'hold back on some features' - from experience they release features willy-nilly, untested and usually ones that aren't useful, while features that users have been requesting for years seem to go unnoticed.  Sorry but I've been using some of the programs since college, and from my experiences generally, I don't have much faith in them any more.  The everyday users on this forum are usually more help then the 'trained' staff that you can get hold of if you have the patience to hunt down the right contact us page, fill out copious forms and wait for a response (which 95% of the time is: "please reset preferences")!

I've personally chased up valid requests that are years old with hundreds of votes, stand individually contacted key staff about the issues, and rarely does anything happen!  I do hope they get a better internal structure in place at some point.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Time Remap feature in PPro is quite easy to put into use - I feel it's best to let users use this feature instead of slowing down a MoGRT with unnecessary Expressions.

As a general rule, if you have a group of properties at play and you want them to be time-sensitive; encourage users to use Time Remap. If you want independent control of time, of one or more properties, without affecting other properties, then use Expressions.

Motion Graphics Brand Guidelines & Motion Graphics Responsive Design Toolkits

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oo crickey - yeah fair enough.. I rarely use these forums etc.

It is frustrating, and it terrifies me a bit. Premiere / After Effects is all I've ever used (7-8 years), and the idea of changing over seems really daunting. There seems to be a bit of a negative vibe towards Adobe since the CC switchover

Yes - hopefully they will sort soon !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Roland - that's a great workaround for controlling the speed. Don't know why I hadn't thought of that.. nice

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiences and workflows differ. One person's useless features are other user's dreams. It's frustrating they can't do more. I do criticize Adobe for not putting more cash back into PrPro and Ae, as much as the editor of that pair brings in. Ae needs some serious updates to UI and toolset in my opinion.

And some things in PrPro need changes too.

I do find the new EGP a huge step forward in so many ways ... but why didn't they recreate all those many keyboard shortcuts they still have for the old Titler for use with mogrts? That would make using the EGP a ton faster and more precise.

The changes in Lumetri this round were huge for me, it's so much more of a production tool now. So, that I do like.

At NAB last spring quite a but of aisle-talk was wondering if a tradeoff ... reduced range of codecs and gear for recommended use to get better stability and operating speed ... would be a good thing.

Maybe. Or maybe getting them a bigger staff. Not that many people on the teams, really.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a good tip Kevin, and that's helpful where mogrt's need to be faster or slower, and I've done this before.  However, I'd still really like to have control over keyframes for EGP controls...   Those familiar with PPro but don't use AE would love this feature, allowing them to use really advanced Mogrt's without having to touch AE.

Another way I like to change mogrt animation speed in PPro is to create a linear() expression in AE for the animation, and have a slider EGP which changes the end time.  Means I can get really consistent effects across different projects.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea ... post that over on the UserVoice system, relink here, I'll vote for it!

Neil

Adobe Bug /Feature service: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. Thanks!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upvoted as well!

-Caroline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, voted too, and in the same vein, I proposed moving the inner protected areas (wether in Ae or Pr, by the way) Move protected areas inside mogrt – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I voted for this also Franck. Great idea.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also upvoted.

I have created an EGP template in After Effects that allows me to link an animated bullet point to a slider in the template, which is ideal for timing the appearance of the bullets with the presenter, however this is only going to work if I can add keyframes to the slider.

I appreciate that this could now be done in Adobe Premiere, but I think that basic transform options are a little limiting, as our design team are producing some really nice animated elements within After Effects. Adding keyframes would be a serious timesaver to our team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I built some mogrt-files in AE and brought them over to Premiere. No problem here. I see all the parameters I exposed in AE and can change those values....BUT...is there any way I can animate those parameters (keyframe in Premiere)?

Thanx for any help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 15, 2020 Sep 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, seems like when I create a template in after effects and then open it with essential graphics in premiere pro, I can't animate the parameters, on any of them.

Any solution on that ?

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take it you moved the parameters you wanted to change into the EGP box for doing so? As only the items you set to be changeable within Premiere will be so.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can animate them, but can't key them, that's the issue.

Sorry

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that is also something that needs to be included on the Ae side. Have you been through the free ebook by Jarle Leirpoll that Adobe bought out to distribute while doing the final check-over for accuracy?

Making Mogrts

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for this, seeyoc,

It's a known issue. I'll move this to the Ideas forum. Please upvote.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a bummer, what's the point of making mogrts and not able to key them ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a simple MOGRT from within PP; say a text with simple fade in/out plus 2 position keyframes.

is there a way to make those keyframes adjust dynamically when this MOGRT was extended or shrinked?

(like or similar to the protected area in AE)

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is, but you'll need to do so when making the MOGRT.

It's called Responsive Design (Time)! When you view the root level of your graphic in the Essential Graphcs panel (no layers selected), look for the Intro and Outro durations you can set.

Once set, those ranges will be protected ranges of which the contents and keyframes inside will not be altered when shorterning or lengthening future uses of the clip (you'll see these highlighted in Effects Controls once set). Anything outside of those protected ranges, I believe will adjust to the duration of the clip.

Just like an AE-made MOGRT, you can put your in/out animations in those protected ranges, and then anything else in the middle will retime per the intanced duration.

Votes

Translate

Translate