• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link Media on Network drive in Premiere Pro CC

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. In premiere pro CC, I'm trying to link media that has been changed or moved to a project. The media I'm looking for is on a network drive. When I click on "locate media" I am unable to browse to the netwok drive as there are simply no drives showing up under the "network drives" dropdown. Any ideas on how to make Permiere see my network to locate these files? Thanks in advance. BB.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

I just had the same problem. The workaround was to create a shortcut to the folder holding the media on my desktop. Then in the Premiere Locate File I was able to dive into the server to access and link the files that way. Although this solution has a big shortcoming, because it relies on the shortcut being there. If you remove the shortcut the files can no longer be located.

Sidenote: In this day and age, that Premiere doesn't handle accessing media on servers well, is very surprising to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Just switch off 'Use Media Browser' in the Link Media dialog box, Premiere then uses Explorer (WIN) or Finder (macOS) and you can find your network drives (and your locally attached drives) in the normal way.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, outside of using Adobe Anywhere, the better option is usually to keep everything local.  Use network drives only for backup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some/all? versions of Premiere do not work properly, if at all, over a network

-see messages #1 and #3 in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771151

-you MUST give all users administrator accounts to use Premiere

-and especially Encore dual layer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

-#5 Server 2008 is UNsupported http://forums.adobe.com/thread/851602

-a work around, of sorts http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957523

-and not on a "domain" http://forums.adobe.com/thread/858977

-http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/kb/networks-removable-media-dva.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 17, 2023 Jul 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A shortcut didn't work for me.

Deselecting "Use Media Browser" in the Link Media browser box kind of worked, but it was making me link each file and not relinking automatically. And yes, "Relink Automatically" was selected. Given that there was hundreds of files to relink, it was impractical to relink them one-by-one.

The solution for me was inspired by John T Smith's answer. I needed to go to "Security & Privacy" in "System Settings" and under "Privacy" -> "Full Disk Access". I needed to add Premiere to this list. First you have to unlock the settings by clicking on the lock in the bottom left. Then you click the plus sign and add Adobe Premiere (navigate to Premiere through the Finder).

Once I did that, everything relinked right away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We work with a NAS server. And since I have a new computer Premiere Pro crashes as soon as I open an old timeline. It seems like premiere can't find the files from the server. I can't even link myself because premiere crashes right away. So there is no error message but it crashes right away. Does anyone have a solution for this? On the other computers it works this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is the project file on the server?  If so, try moving it to the local computer (and also try keeping your autosave and other "scratch disks" on the local computer.      Also, did you try all the solutions/workarounds posted in this thread in a systematic fashion?    Never easy to troubleshoot premiere problems from a distance so please tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card and if you have any 3rd party plugins installed for Premiere... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes is on the server, tried everything to make clear to Premiere that it has to read the files from the server. As soon as I open Premiere it crashes, downloaded a new version, tried several options and nothing works, while my colleagues work exactly this way. Also tried copying the auto-saves to the local drive of my PC but that didn't work either. Win 11 Home (64 bit), Premiere version is 24.0. 32GB ram, 13th gen Core i9 (3 ghz), GeForce RTX 3080.

Could copy all files to the local drive but then my colleagues can't access the project. So that won't work as a definitive solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

First, if you open premiere without opening the project, does it crash?   And you're saying that other users can open the project and access the media without any issues?  Any obvious differences between your setup and the other users...  And will the project open successfully if you've saved it the project locally?    If so, there may be some different workflows that will solve your problem...  Since I don't work this way, I'm not sure I can help, but may be able to point you in the right direction.

Working with shared media is a tricky process and back in the day, Avid Media Composer was the software of choice for this workflow because it was designed for this workflow.  And even then, it was import to have an IT person setting it up properly.   The fact that other people on your system are able to work this way and you cannot is what puzzles me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem. The workaround was to create a shortcut to the folder holding the media on my desktop. Then in the Premiere Locate File I was able to dive into the server to access and link the files that way. Although this solution has a big shortcoming, because it relies on the shortcut being there. If you remove the shortcut the files can no longer be located.

Sidenote: In this day and age, that Premiere doesn't handle accessing media on servers well, is very surprising to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2015 Feb 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2015 Aug 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just switch off 'Use Media Browser' in the Link Media dialog box, Premiere then uses Explorer (WIN) or Finder (macOS) and you can find your network drives (and your locally attached drives) in the normal way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 23, 2016 Jan 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Richard,

Unticking "Use Media Browser to locate files" in the "Link Media" dialog and using the OS file browser is quick and painless.

M3ixyPm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what worked for me. Thank you for the tip!

(Media browser wasn't even able to find an alias on my desktop).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked here as well. We have this contious problem on/off when Premiere working on the server. Usually derived when a project is created on Mac OS and then later on opened on a Windows machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked.. thanks so much. Lost precious time fighuring out this. Why Adobe changes things that worked for users, for somethinmg else more complicated...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2021 Jun 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is a GREAT tip but you missed a critical step. It is not possible to launch the dialog if you go to File > Link Media. 

It requires the following:

1) In your project window, select-and-highlight any missing asset.

2a) Go to File > Link Media

OR

2b) Right-click and select Link Media

3) De-select the 'Use Media Browser to locate files' as shown in the screen capture.

4) Using your system file browser (with access to the newtwork!) now select and replace the missing asset. This must be completed.

This setting will now remain as the new defailt, even after you close and re-open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @RichardB99-bbh2ia , unticking "Use Media Browser to Locate files" fix my problem too.

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2022 Jan 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just be aware that there can be issues with working off of media via a network.  Might have some performance hits if other people are doing any heavy lifting at the same time, and there may be an issue with file naming conventions.   Also, if other people on the network are working with the same files at the same time, this could cause some problems.  If I remember correctly, there are some Premiere preferences to make sure you are not altering your source files while you're working with them...    Generally it's safer not to work with media via a network unless you're working with a system that's specifically designed for this workflow.  That's why Avid has dominated the shared media market for so long...   Just remember if you have any issues on your system and you post here, to be sure and say you're working via a network...  And if you do have issues, try and work locally and see if that solves the problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 15, 2022 Jan 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Michael Grenadier 

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally works this solution, use this people, thanks Julienprod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can not believe I've never noticed that option before!!!! Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution is to map the network drive to your computer and then Premiere Pro CC will detect it under network drive at the Media Browser panel.

I've created short blog post with step by step instructions and screenshots for this problem. Do check it out! SOLUTION: Link or Import Media on Network drive in Premiere Pro CC 2015

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 02, 2016 Sep 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. You saved my day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2016 Oct 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handy workaround, but workaround all the same. Have Adobe acknowledged that isse?
The technician I talked to just blamed my network config (I am on Windows 7 pro), but I just checked with Bridge CC and if I go to Desktop/Networks, then all my network drives appear.
So it is definitely an Adobe Issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2017 Dec 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks, the shortcut is the solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines