• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Making a gradient on text?

New Here ,
Jun 08, 2019 Jun 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently I updated from an old version of Premiere, I was using either 2014 or 2015. Now that I have the 2019 version the new graphics panel seems really complicated compared to the simple title system I used to have. All I want to do is put a gradient on text, but I can't seem to figure it out. I tried doing a mask with a rectangle gradient but it's just not working for some reason. If I can, I'd prefer not to have to make a mask layer because my project already has 9 layers (and is 10 hours long-- Youtube content haha) and I don't want to make another one just for a mask. Can anyone help me?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

I'm happy to announce the implementation of Text Gradients as of the latest public release of PrPro 15.2. Please try it out when you can and let us know what you think.

For information about how to apply Text Gradients as well as a couple of short how-to videos, go to this link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/text-gradient.ug.html
And here is a snapshot of a Text gradient inthe Program Monitor:
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.43.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V1: draw square or rectangular size of the text and fill with gradient.

V2: write text

Now add Track matte effect to V1 and set to V2 with matte luma.

Might be others way but this came to mind.

To cut down on the layers you could nest.

gradient text.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I ended up going into Photoshop and doing it there but I'll do this next time I need to make a gradient text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this all within the graphic, Type your text, then go to Edit:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.47.25 AM.png

Then add a rectangle shape behind the text (you may need to drag the order of the layers within the graphic around):

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.48.20 AM.png

Click on the Fill color well to bring up the color picker tool:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.48.39 AM.png

Click on the drop down menu at the top left to change it to a gradient.

When you have your gradient built:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.49.39 AM.png

Making sure you have the text layer selected, check the box for Mask with Text to punch out the matte:

Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.49.56 AM.png

and now you have a self contained graphic with the gradient.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make the colors go from top to bottom instead of side to side?

I currently type my text and add "Ramp" from the effects menu. But having more options is always better!

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can control the direction of the gradient in the program monitor using the little blue handles.

temp.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method works great until you have to add a stroke to the text. How can I have a gradient fill AND add several strokes in different colors? When I do this, no matter what color I make the stroke, it just expands the fill gradient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am faced with the same dilemma. I just want to place a black stroke but the stroke remains the same color of my gradient fill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil's reply below explains this better. Here's what I ended up doing:

text layers.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One last step to keep the strokes ... copy the text, paste back in on top of the EGP layer stack. Now for that top layer, uncheck the fill color. The strokes you have will show now.

I also recommend making such multi-line creations into a "group" in the EGP, so you can change position/scale/rotation of the entire object together.

Neil

EGP text with gradient and strokes.PNG

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh! Perfect! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm happy to announce the implementation of Text Gradients as of the latest public release of PrPro 15.2. Please try it out when you can and let us know what you think.

For information about how to apply Text Gradients as well as a couple of short how-to videos, go to this link:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/text-gradient.ug.html
And here is a snapshot of a Text gradient inthe Program Monitor:
Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 12.43.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines