Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Moving the Cache

Enthusiast ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

A ingloriously basic question for many. I'm working on the latest version of PrCC on a Windows 10 machine, just updated with the April update.

I've had a couple of new HDDs installed and one of my plans is to move the cache to a new drive because my C Drive is very limited. To be honest, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat on fiddling with locations and I am anxious that I don't banjax anything. I don't know if there's there an idiot's guide somewhere, but:

1. Can/ should I cut and paste the cache folder into a new location and point to that new location in preferences? or

2. Should I use the Windows 'Move Tool' to relocate the cache folder? or

3. Can I redirect the folder from preferences? and

4. I use After Effects as well and I think it uses the same folder as a cache, so do I have to manually point Ae to the new location as well, or will it automatically follow the file?

Sorry this seems basic, but I have read some people have got into a state moving the cache and I really do not want to loose a day or so trying to correct something I could have avoided getting wrong.

Regards,

Graham

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also keep the cache on a separate, fast drive.  You can change you cache folder within the application preferences, (a new one will be written upon opening the project).  You can then delete the old one.  There are options where where you can also periodically delete the cache folder using time and/or size to trigger it.

cache in preferences.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0 see reply 4 for the setting that you need to manually change to a different drive... and then delete any old temp files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 24, 2018 May 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I'll follow your comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2018 Jun 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A quick question; I 've finally got around to moving the cache files, but should I move the database as well or leave that in its current location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not even bother moving it.

I would delete it and let Premiere make new ones at the new location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Ann. I have successfully set-up a new location on a new drive. I assume it's safe to just delete the old 'Media Cache' and 'Media Cache Files'' folders in my AppData/ Roaming folder now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 10, 2018 Jul 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, you can go ahead and delete the old cache files.

-Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines