Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MP4 workflow

Participant ,
Oct 10, 2023 Oct 10, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am noticing more and more experts are editing with mp4 files that always have the yellow render line above them. 

My workflow has always been to use Media Encoder to encode UHD prores files and HD proxies (from inside of Premiere). I put those mp4 files away as raw shooting files. This has consistently proven to be a bullet proof workflow, especially when you have clients who always wants to change stuff. Has something changed and am I just being the old dude stuck in his ways? Would love to get feedback from other people's workflows here. 

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mp4 ... typically, the long-GOP files ... are heavily dependent on the hardware bits on each computer. Some Intel CPUs have the "quicksync" function, and they can process H.264/long-GOP significantly better than the Intel CPUs without it. Newer quicksync capable Intel CPUs can do more versions of that format.

And most AMD CPUs, to my knowledge, are not great with H.264/5-long-GOP files. Although some GPUs apparently can offer some assistance.

So ... it's complicated, and it all depends.

Most colorists I know, who have machines vastly more massive than most of us editor types, still t-code or proxy nearly all H.264/5 media when working in Resolve. So ... pick your poison. Check your machine's ability with long-GOP files. And test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your way is still the best way to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand what Neil is saying, when you are dealing with a lot of long footage and need to work fast, it would be understandable. My machine can handle the transcode, storage is cheap, and I do roundtrip everything through Resolve. 

Thank you MyerPJ for the confirmation. I just don't want to be the old guy that's stuck in his ways. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would absolutely agree with you with one caveat -  I would maintain the source resolution, regardless of what it is. So if the source is 1920x1080, then my interim ProResHQ would be the same. If it were in SD then I would make an SD ProResHQ from that. If uprezzing is mandated by the client, I would use a dedicated tool for doing that - from an interim ProResHQ at the supplied resolution.

Why anybody work with an MP4 makes no sense to me at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines