Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with Go Pro Hero 3 and Premiere Pro CS6

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently acquired PP CS6. I put my clip (30 seconds long) and I go to preview while editing, for the first 1.5 seconds it is fine but then it is very choppy. The audio is fine but the video does not play smoothly. When I save and process the video it is fine. It is frustrating to try to edit video this way. I'm sure I'm missing a step when creating the project but I haven't used Premiere Pro since CS6. This is only happening with Go Pro Hero 3 videos, any of my other cameras are fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the codec is a bit tough to handle.

Download GoPro Studio for easy editing.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick response. I downloaded the Go Pro Cinema Studio and converted to AVI. This did not solve the issue with playback. What am I missing?

Thanks,
DB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>What am I missing

More information, so people don't have to guess when answering

-Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840
-Effective questions http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416679
-How to get help quickly http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419406
Does your sequence match your video?
Please NOTE that the PPro CS6 screen may look a bit different (I use CS5)
For CS5 and later, the easy way to insure that your video and your project match
See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666
-and a FAQ on sequence setting http://forums.adobe.com/message/3804341
When your project sequence is correct, you will not see a red line over your timeline

at first import, before you do anything to the video

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am new to all of this. I recently picked up a GoPro Hero3 and I am having the issues that others are describing. I did use GoPro studio to convert the files, but it is still choppy.

Am I missing something here, or is this the best that CS6 will do? Is there someplace that give a set of instructions for how to use the Hero3 and CS6 together?

Thanks,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2013 Jun 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All I still am having issues with this and trying to avoid transcoding before I edit, but no luck.  I personally don't think Adobe is going to address our issue with any updates, as they want everyone to go to their Creative Cloud.

Many Adobe perpetual users seem to have serious issues signing up on the CC, not only with renting, but the ability to control your own media in the event you leave the cloud.  This seems to be a very scary step for me, not because of the price (at least today) but what they can do to me down the road.

Just the fact that Ann says Hero 3 footage works well on the Cloud is a perfect example of what they plan.  They are not going to support those who don't rent.

I am not a professional and don't want to get tied into a life subscription.  Guess I will have to wait for Edius Pro 7, which should be out.  It is suppose to run Hero 3 just fine.

I would be interested in anyone else having experience with the cloud.

Thanks,

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nor am I a professional.

I convert the files to Cineform avi and the edit perfectly in CS6.

Download Cineform Studio its free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I have downloaded CF Studio, and it does work, but when you have 75 clips that need to be transcoded it is a royal pain in the ...  It really annoys me that Adobe can make it work on CC, but won't for those of us not on the cloud.  I am not going to sign up for CC until Adobe works out the serious issues.  I can't see why anyone would, which brings me to a question for you.

You see to be happy on the CC and I would appreciate knowing why.  Aren't you concerned about the long term.  I am very interested in hearing other points of view.  So many have angry words for CC and Adobe and I'm not sure of what the facts are.

Also would you please disclose if you are compensated in any manner by Adobe, i.e. and employee, or do contract work for them or just get you CC subscription for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but when you have 75 clips that need to be transcoded it is a royal pain in the...

That is something I do not mind if I know in advanced its going to suite my needs.

In the past we also had to wait until the tapes were captured before starting editing....

I am not a Adobe employee, I do not get compensated in any manner.

Adobe just gave me a chance to check out an early development build.

Still not sure what I am going to do. Stick to CS6 or rent the new CC.

I do know I like the new CC very much.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2013 Jun 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ann,

I laugh when you talk about capturing.  I just looked at the dialog box for that today by accident.  It's been a long time since I have captured anything and I don't miss it a bit.

I did use the Cineform program and it does work just as you said, so I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and use it until I can decide what to do.

I was extremely excited about the Cloud also, especially when you said how well the Hero 3 footage worked,  until I heard the down side.  It is just hard to believe that Adobe would make the subscription so one sided. 

Anyway, thanks so much

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2013 Feb 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same problem with all my Go Pro 3 Black 2.7K clips. 

It has nothing to do with the sequence settings, because I experience the described simptoms not only when playing the sequence, but also when I try to play the video clips in the source window.

It also happens when I try to play any of those 2.7K clips inside Adobe Bridge.

The external programs, e.g. VLC, handle it without any problem.  And my hardware shoult not be a problem as well - i7 desktop with 16GB of memory.  The video files are on a local 7200rmp harddrive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Side bar question for you GoPro 3 Black owners: I have a Contour+ helme type camera, but have been pondering buying one or two of those units.   Are you have any issues (assuming you tried) editing or playing 1080p/60fps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not try editing 1080p/60fps in the Premier, because I think that 2.7K quality is much better.

I'll try to check later today if 1080p works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, that I have Pro Tune turned on.  Could this be the reason why the playback is sluggish in Premier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely.

(On a side note, having just seen a comparison video, why would you turn that on?  It's just nasty compared to the same exact shot with it off, even after CC/grading.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is not ProTune same as RAW for still shots?  Anyway, I was reading that ProTune allows for higher bitrate and wider dynamic range.  I may be wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not quite RAW, but it does look like it offers some advantages.  The sample I saw probably came from someone who didn't know how to properly use those advantages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering to previous question about playing 1080p/60fps.  I am experiencing same problem!

The clip properties:

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 1.9 GB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 59.94

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:05:53:05

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

In the SOURCE window the clip plays fine for about 2 seconds, and then becomes jittery.  Changing full to 1/2 or 1/4 playback does not help at all.

I hope it is a user (me) problem.  But I still cannot figure out what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be the 35 Mbps that is causing the choppy playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am starting to believe this is the case.  All my clips, including 1080p/60fps, are about 45Mbps.

VLC plays them without a problem.  Premier is taking only 22% of CPU, but still cannot play them smoothly.  Memory is also not an issue.

I cannot figure out where the bottleneck is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2013 Feb 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be the 35 Mbps that is causing the choppy playback.

It shouldn't, assuming sufficient hardware.  My GH2 clips often get up to over 90 Mb/s and play just fine on an older i7 920.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, are you playing your 90Mbps clips inside Premiere, in the source window?

I spent another couple of hours trying to tweak all sorts of things from Premiere's memory and playback settings, to NVidia card settings, to placing the files on SSD.

No success.  CPU consumption is around 15%, memory - 20%, HDD, network - no visible bottlenecks, though the playback becomes choppy in about 2 seconds every time I start it.

Someone on Internet suggested to convert gopro footage using Cineform Studio, but adding additional transcoding step and increasing file sizes 5 fold does not sound like an efficient workflow; besides the playback is still choppy if I keep resolution above 1440p (the resoultion I plan for the final video).

I also tried to play the files in Cyberlink's PowerDirector movie editor - no problem playing it even from the sequence.

I seem to have only three options now: use proxy files, or try editing despite the playback problem, or use another editor (as I said I have PD11).

Not sure if it matters, but I am on the first month trial of the Premier.  I have read people had problems with unregistered versions of the software.

Also I do not see any Cineform preset when trying to open a new project, though I have installed the GoPro Cineform Studio.

Should I try installing some other codec suite, e.g. K-lite? 

What else can I try to do?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have any of you tried giving Adobe support a call?  It sounds like everyone is having issues, GoPro's sell like hotcakes, so I would hope Adobe would help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, are you playing your 90Mbps clips inside Premiere, in the source window?

Yup.  Timeline, too.

Should I try installing some other codec suite, e.g. K-lite? 

Nooooooooooooo!

What else can I try to do?

Try some normal 1080i/30, or 720p/60, or 1080p/24.  See how those other clips work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2013 Feb 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed the same thing with playback from GoPro Hero 3's.  We use POV footage quite often and never had an issue with footage from the Hero 2 or the Contour cameras.  From what I know, GoPro is using a new codec in the Hero 3.  It is harder for Premiere to "decode" can play it back smoothly.  With the research I've done, it seems like the only solution is to transcode the footage.  Defininetly a waste of time and a bummer from such a widely used camera. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines