Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need help with Go Pro Hero 3 and Premiere Pro CS6

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently acquired PP CS6. I put my clip (30 seconds long) and I go to preview while editing, for the first 1.5 seconds it is fine but then it is very choppy. The audio is fine but the video does not play smoothly. When I save and process the video it is fine. It is frustrating to try to edit video this way. I'm sure I'm missing a step when creating the project but I haven't used Premiere Pro since CS6. This is only happening with Go Pro Hero 3 videos, any of my other cameras are fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 10, 2013 Apr 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a lot of confusion over how video encoding affects subsequent editing performance - a higher data rate has no direct relation to how much effort is required to decode and play the footage, in fact a higher data rate often makes playback easier - which is why transcoding to AVI can help with playback even though the files can be hundreds of times larger. Data rates with the same codec depend on the frame contents and recording quality, but for playback and editing what matters is the GOP (group-of-pictures) structure and the complexity of the encoding algorithm. Provided your disks are fast enough the data rate is immaterial to Premiere.

With long-GOP files (as typically created by consumer DSLRs and helmet cams) we have keyframes (I-frames) with a complete set of pixel data, then a series of intervening P- and B-frames which only store the difference between 'now' and 'one frame before' or 'one frame after'. Unless you're on an I-frame you have to calculate the chain of differences from the nearest I-frame, and when editing or applying an effect we must  re-calculate the entire GOP, so Premiere has to hold a lot of data in the buffer. Remember all timelines in Premiere are internally transcoded to 32-bit floating point, so it's more work to 'play' the footage in the monitors than would be done by a simple playback-only application such as VLC, or in some other brands of NLE that only work in the footage's color space. Premiere's hardware acceleration (MPE) only kicks in once the buffer has been ingested, all the decoding of the original H.264 frames happens in your CPU.

With digital cinema cameras and some hacked DSLRs, we record "all-I" footage - so there's no GOP overhead and playback/editing is massively smoother. I can scrub all-I footage from a hacked 7D no problem on my relatively-ancient spare laptop, but the  long-GOP files from a factory 7D struggle to play at all. Our all-I 7D footage can hit 300MBit/s compared to 35 for long-GOP. Helmet cams such as the GoPro do all they possibly can to squeeze data onto their storage cards, which means they have long-GOP codecs that have some of the most complicated compression algorithms out there. The Hero3's implementation of H.264 uses the Ambarella chip, whose files are very small but an utter nightmare to decode - hence far more of a demand on your CPU than an equivalent clip from a DSLR.

Jim Simon wrote:

Might be the 35 Mbps that is causing the choppy playback.

It shouldn't, assuming sufficient hardware.  My GH2 clips often get up to over 90 Mb/s and play just fine on an older i7 920.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I am seeing the same behaviour with 1080p@60 from my Hero3 Black Edition. Luckily we get this 30 day trial period to spot stuff like this. I'd rather look for another tool than transcoding my files. It's just a shame because I like Adobe's rent license scheme.

If anyone of you guys got it working, Id be happy to learn about your solution.

EDIT: Just tested Sony Vegas 12 and it seems to able read the 1080p@60 without hickups......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As suggested I contacted Adobe Customer Service and let them remotely connect to my machine.  The customer rep confirmed the problem and asked if I could give the clip to them to test the program.  I uploaded the clip to some website and have not got a response since then.  A few days ago I contacted the same rep asking for status, but still no response.  This is probably because I have already subscribed for one year online service, so Adobe does not care.  Just joking, they probably are perfectly aware about the issue and working on a fix.

Meanwhile, I made another reservation.  If I fast play some "good" 1080p non-GoPro clips by holding the Shift and Right Arrow buttons, I observe similar behavior.  It seems that some internal memory buffer gets overflowed or something.  Zero.unknown2 (wow), do you have that issue?

Lastly, the best workaround to work with H3 footage I found is to put all raw clips into a sequence, apply some filter (I use AutoColor), and hit Enter to generate previews.

It takes much less time comparing to resampling and keeps the source resolution.  You can remove the filter before exporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe is aware of the problem with GoPro Hero3 footage and they are working on it. I don't know anything more than that, but it has their attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@AEDTugan, yeah sorry about the stupied name, I should change that! Thank you for the workaround description, I look forward to try that when I get back from work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AEDTugan, did you ever receive a response from Adobe? Thanks for the tip on using a filter and generating previews, it is indeed better for me than transcoding all files when what you need is only a few seconds here and there from only a subset of all clips captured on a shoot--saves time and HDD space!

I'm using trial of CS6 and would rather stick with that than going the way of subscription. Please let me know if anyone has learned of a decent workaround or fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just installed new update and found out that the problem with editing either 2.7K or 1080p at high fps is now gone!

I am positive that it is related to the update, as just before that, thanks to sunsurfh2o, I tried GoPro's footage and observed same sluggish behaviour.

I believe this is a great news for many GoPro owners out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello AED,

Thanks so much for your information here.  I had given up on PP for my gopro hero 3 footage and I can confirm that with the latest update I can edit in real time without having to render.  I even tried it with three tracks and some effects and it ran smoothly.  However when I went to close the project without saving my quick changes, it crashed.  I guess you can't have everything.

Unfortunately, I had just purchased Edius Pro 7 crossgarde, since it handles 4k and just about anything you can through in it...

It's a really nice program, but wish I had known this earlier.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, Im new here. Thank you all for the help. I was wondering if this update can work with the macbook pro? My specs are:

Processor  2.3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory  8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Graphics  AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

I had a problem with my macbook crashing and it must have to do with this. I filmed 1920x1080 60fps with my gopro hero3.

I would really appreciate the advice. It would be great if PP CS6 with upgrade is all I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well i know the playback is bad.. but does it affect the finished product? when you export it, does it pay well in other players after edit with CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2013 May 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for the info as I am having the same issues as I just bought a gopro hero 3.  Terrible issues with this codec.  The only way I have found to work with the GPH3 is to use the proxy (the .LRV) or convert the file to some other format.  Niether of these is acceptable.  For such a popular camera, Adobe should have been ahead of the game instead of behind. 

I am going to download and try Grass Valley whose time line is know for running just about anything.  Will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere CC handles GoPro3 footage perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2013 May 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Ann and thanks for your response.  Very interesting that CC handles it and not CS6.  I don't have cloud nor do I need to subscribe, as I am not a professional.  Would you happen to know why CC handles it and not CS6.  Also FYI, I was shooting 1080p, 30 and 60.

Take care,

Dale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im confused, I pay for Creative Cloud but when I load my Premiere it still says CS6 (not CC) is it a different app? I still have horrible choppy playback from my gopro 3 footage 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Convert to cineform avi's and use those.

http://gopro.com/3d-cineform-studio-software-download/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 15, 2013 Jun 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to agree with Ann, convert to an uncompressed format.

I am to make a bold guess - even if Adobe is able to optimize their decoder for GoPro native footage, it will never be fast enough to decode multible tracks real time and then add effects also. Atleast not with the current generation of computer hardware. If that statement is true, you would have to convert anyway and your wait has been wasted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2013 May 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to fix the same issue by running it through Adobe Media Encoder and then replacing the clip within Premiere.

You'll need to create a custom profile for the settings you had for your GoPro. I choose Apple Pro Res 422 @2.7 24fps. It plays in the source monitor at full resolution now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the above.  I just shot test footage frin 2,7k down to 720 and I will give it a try.  What was your original shots done at and what did you set up for the sequence in PP.

No matter what I have done so far, the output quality is not like the gropro file I viewed in WMP.  I am very dissapointed.  A friend of mine has Edius Pro 6.5 (I think that is the latest) and he says he isn't having these problem, but hasn't done much with his hero 3 yet.  I am going to call Edius.  When I spoke to them last to see about something else, they had great sales and tech support.

Yesterday, I couldn't even export my sequence because of a "disk full error" from AME.  This is ridiculous and I am getting tired of spending so much time just to find a workflow.  Found a work around for that, but why is it so hard to work with a very popular camera in PP 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Again,

Did you buy QT pro for the codec.  I don't have Apple Pro Res 422 in AME?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 20, 2013 Nov 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really easy, I've been struggling with the same problem the last few days, and realised that my sequence was set to 24fps (23,997) and the gopro shots were taken with 30fps, so the playback would just lag after a few seconds. Try to make a new sequence and in the settings make sure it is at 30fps, and it should work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2016 Jun 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found a possibly solution! I was looking and trying everything before bowing to the 'convert every gopro footage that I have' option. AND THEN I moved on to another problem: I installed ProRes codecs as explained in this video (and yes, you will need to watch the video because it's a special install):

How to Install ProRes Codecs FREE for Mac and Adobe Media Encoder - MindPower009 - YouTube

I went back to work on my project, and suddenly all my MP4 files and gopro footage started working! Yay!

I hope this helps others.

-Kristian L. Snow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines