• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

New Premiere (2021) no longer supporting .mkv files?

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the new Premiere no longer support .mkv files? I was working on a project and updated to the new edition and now all my .mkv files are gone and aren't showing up in my folders anymore. If .mkv files are gone for good, how can I convert the files I have into a supported format?

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe dropped MKV support with the release of CC2019. 

You could use the free (and incredible) LosslessCut app to very easily turn your mkvs into MOVs or mp4s

https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. For whatever reason, .mkv is the only format OBS Studio puts out, so do you know of any good alternatives to that? I'd ask their forums, but it's a living nightmare there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, Github is something you have to pay for to use, right? I can't use it then...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would not call it free if it were not free.

Here is a direct link to the Windows download: https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/releases/latest/download/LosslessCut-win.exe

That link is also on the original link I posted if you want to verify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope bro, Github is a free platform to host software projects. Anyone can use it for free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change the container OBS exports to, but MKV is considered the most stable and will not corrupt the file in case of interruption.

Best case is record in MKV, and then use LosslessCut. Or, you can remux your videos directly in OBS if you prefer not to use Lossless. This blog does a good job at succintly explaing the OBS remux process:

https://technicteller-67.webself.net/blog/2020/05/20/remux-recordings-in-obs-studio-its-easier-than-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying out Lossless Cut... and it wants nothing to do with the .mkv's. Not letting me do anything with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a quick mkv I tested in Lossless Cut. Can you try quitting the app entirely and reopening? Also make sure that mkv isn't open in another app.

loss.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I'm trying recording new things in OBS in an mp4 format, and when I try to put them in premiere, only the audio shows up!!! I feel like I'm going insane.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing STILL happens with .mov recordings!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere does not like the settings you are choosing. Can you try to remux one of your MKV files in OBS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I did

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said you were re-recording new things in OBS in mp4.

• Did you try taking one one of your original MKV files and going through the remux process in OBS?
  • Did you try to close and reopen LossLess Cut after verifying that MKV was not open in another application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep remuxing all my old mkv files and turning them into mp4 files or mov files, but now whenever I try to download them into Premiere, all I get is the audio. I've had this problem with mp4 and mov files in the past, I've only gotten .mkv files to consistently work, but now they took that away from me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere has supported MP4 and MOV for ages. Something is seriously wrong if you had better luck with MKV files. 

Can you post this specs of one of these files? Preferably using Mediainfo (it's also free)

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download/Windows

Like this:

Image 3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the videos I remuxed from .mkv to .mov

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically, it is supporting this file... just not the video part, which is generally more important to me than the audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this video is Variable Frame Rate, which Premiere is notorious for not playing nice with (do not confuse VFR with Variable BIT Rate, VBR, which is fine). Unfortunately, OBS defaults to VFR. Can you try changing your OBS recording settings to Constant Frame Rate, CFR, record a small test, and see if you can get that file into Premiere?

Also, 3Mb/s video bitrate is on the low side. Are you okay with the quality of the video (when you can see it)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm okay with the quality of the videos I've been recording. 

Where in OBS does it let you change whether the frame rate is variable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked the OBS people and they said there's nothing to be done about it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry they were not helpful. I just reinstalled OBS to check for you.

Try adding

-framerate 60

in the Custom Muxer setting on the Output tab. Or 30 if you prefer 30FPS.

gg.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's still not working. Are there any good alternatives to OBS that won't have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OBS People (when not insulting me for coming to them with a problem) insist that OBS is constant frame rate, when it's clearly not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines