Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No audio when playing back timeline

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the following issue:

The audio worked perfectly fine the last time I closed (and saved) the project.
After opening the same project this morning, there’s no sound when playing back the timeline.

There’s no difference either between GPU acceleration on or software only.

I can hear the sound when opening a clip in the Source Monitor but not when playing back the timeline.

Premiere Pro Version 12.1.1 (Build 10)

Just installing the new Update

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version: 10.0.16299 Build 16299

Source Footage: MP4 File (.MP4)

Hardware:
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor, 3500 Mhz, 3 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 16.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

I found out you have to mute or solo track any of the audio tracks for it to work again !!!

Thought i might share this, because i have not seen any post with this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Known issue.

Have to wait for update

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea having the same problem also... Adobe whats up??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 21, 2018 May 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue and today even that wont work. Im dead in the water even with geeksquad support, and an alienware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too! I exported the project (not all audio tracks were rendered) Went back to project and no audio from timeline. Solo on/off worked for getting sound back, mute on/off didn't.

Thanks to OP for posting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2018 May 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known issue.

Have to wait for update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just updated to version 12.1.2 (build 69) and the issue remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 06, 2018 Sep 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

September 2018 and still no fix for this.

The mentioned solutions (solo track, muting/unmute track, disable/re-nable track), clearing cache, do not work for us consistently. Timeline audio will be playing fine for some clips, and then audio disappears when playhead crosses a new clip.

This has crippled production on multiple workstations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2018 Sep 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a work-around. Add a new track, move the problem audio to the new track... worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2018 Sep 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem today, and same solution. Movet track down.

One thing, Skype updated today morning, maybe it's conected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clarifying this as a media caching issue; we've been able to work around this problem by moving our work locally. It was our previous practice to work from external media (USB3) and network volumes.

While video loads just fine, the audio from that same media fails to load, or takes an inordinate amount of time to load, but only from external volumes. Moving the media to local drives (even to slower drives) solves this problem and the audio loads fine.

Now testing the latest release of Premiere. Perhaps 2019 solves for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't. I stil run into this problem several times a week. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2018 and the "no audio" issue is still here.

When you close the sequence, duplicate it and open the duplicate, then audio works too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the same problem, correct me if I'm wrong: there is a audiotrack in the timeline, but no waveform and it remains mute. Is there any solution for that problem?Timeline.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct: the waveform is there, if you double click on it and open it, it plays back as if everything is in order.

Except: no audio is being played at timeline level. (un)solo/(un)mute didn't resolve it for me.

I have to close the sequence, duplicate it and open the duplicate, then audio is back.

I hope a solution for this comes in a next update...

Anyone any idea when the next update will take place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2018 Jun 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thanks for your answer! Well I have a slightly different case:

1. It seems that sometimes not all the audio of the video is mute, but only of some clips. But after short time everything is mute and there is no way to change that, wherever I click. In the audio mixer everything seems to be dead and as you see on my picture there are no waveforms except for one clip.

2. Second there was an additional bug: One video in the timeline was obviously completely wrong despite showing the right name. I wonder how that is possible?

I also want to point out that I am unimpressed with how Adobe handles these problems: This is a corporation with 15.000 people and there is no real customer support, just a forum, where users help each other? The software is advertised as being made for creative professionals, but problems like that can ruin your business very quickly - because you simply can't get your job done. Where is the update, when will it come, will this specific problem be adressed - nobody knows. I mean what am I supposed to do, should I work with Windows Movie Maker now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe appears to be tone deaf to user concerns about major product defects.  If I cannot get this solved today, I am bailing on Adobe.

I "upgraded" from Adobe Premiere Elements 2018 since that product cannot sync audio worth a dime.  Now I find that the "professional" product cannot achieve the most basic command to play audio from the timeline.

I seems to me that Adobe has outsourced their development to a team that is running around in circles accomplishing nothing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing that fixed it for me was setting the Edit - Preferences - Audio Hardware - Default Input - to "No Input" 

?????????   Amazing that Adobe could not have either fixed that, or notified users of the problem in SIX MONTHS.  The product works now for me but my estimation of Adobe is even lower than previously.  I will also need to figure out what to do when I need real-time audio input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NONE of all these tips work for me, and believe it, I've tried.

What does work, is (and I admit it) a hack, namely routing the audio over NDI.

NDI is a free tool by NewTek, enabling video over IP. Including audio.

When you install NewTek NDI for CC and then enable NDI audio output via the PP Audio hardware settings (Output Mapping - Map output for NewTek NDI), you are playing back the video and audio over your LAN or on your local computer.

Any NDI enabled 'client' can pick that NDI video+audio up, and if you install the free NewTek NDI Studio Monitor (e.g. on the same machine that you run PP on), you can select PP as the source in that monitoring app. Make sure to enable its audio output via the 'hamburger' menu in the top left of the Studio Monitor, Settings - Audio - Speakers. Move your cursor to the top left in Studio Monitor to make the hamburger menu appear.

I'm not saying this is a perfect workaround, but it sure saved me.

As for me paying eur 600 a year, EVERY year, to Adobe and this issue STILL NOT BEING SOLVED: completely unacceptable.

How hard can it be? And no, it's not because I'm using outdated hardware or outdated drivers. Unless you wanna call a brand new i9 laptop outdated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had it like that and still no audio in just one of my clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2018 Jul 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check the Master track audio on the Timeline screen. It maybe all the way on the bottom, just click hold and drag it up. Look around the M on the audio time track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is it!!!  It's the master volume!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe in your case, but not over here. I'm experiencing it again right now. My audio meters (including the master) show audio activity. I've muted tracks, hit solo on several of them and moved audio around to different and new tracks. Nothing works. Already restarted Pr at least ten (!!) times without succes.

The Default Output is set to the exact same one as my system, which plays back audio with no trouble. The whole situation drives me nuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for luring me to this area.  The volume button in the Master section had the volume level so low I could not hear it.  It would play in the source panel, but not in the video panel.  Once I put the level back to 0.0 in the Master track, my sound MAGICALLY CAME BACK.  (THANK GOD)  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried muting an audio track but didn't change anything, but once I hit solo on/off the audio started to work normally again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. I had problems after copying the project from another drive. Had it backed up so I could restore properly but the backup program (Acronis) failed! As the drive was on the brink I just had to copy to anther one and that's where things got screwed up. Searched for missing files and reconnected, audio clips showed up properly, but no sound in the timeline and no flashing meters. Muting and unmuting fixed it! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines