• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening a new project opens inside of old project

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recently updated to newest Premiere.  Sometimes I will open a project while a current project is already open.  I just go to FILE: OPEN PROJECT.  There has never been any issue and the new project opens up and the old project goes away.

Now, when I open a new project, the old project stays. So I'm seeing all of the files, etc. 

So I have to completely close Premiere, then open it up and open the new file.

Not a big deal, just curious if this is a bug or what.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 02, 2017 Nov 02, 2017

That is how the new version works.  You can open multiple projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is how the new version works.  You can open multiple projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. ok, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

honestly, I don't get how this is answering the question. When I open a new project and it contains all the files from the one I am running it is also not seperated. When I delete files in the new project they will also be deleted in the other. It is pretty weird, I don't really see any sense in that... does anyone know how to solve this issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never opened a new project that had anything in it at all ... I've had to import things to it. Which puzzles me about your post.

So I've never had that exact situation. And when I did copy say a sequence from one project to another, it didn't "connect" the projects.

I'm mostlly working in Productions mode these days, which totally gets around any project to project issues though.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem happening to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2021 Dec 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to close a project, you need to simply use the menu options to close the project. You can do so from the Project tab in the Project panel or the main menu.

Closing a project doesn't close Premiere, just that one project.

And opening a project has nothing to do with closing a project.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me. As a new user, I am easily confused and this is very frustrating. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a kbsc for closing project before opening another project.

I wish they made an option to disable multiple projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys here in community are not able to understand the situation.... I am having this same issue. When I open new project, it actually opens my current project wih the name of my new project and if I edit or delete anything, in my new project, it actually gets edited in my current project. It feels like Premiere pro is saying that I can only make 1 project at a time. This doesn't happen in my After effects, but dont know any way around in Premiere pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same. And comments that say you have multiple projects open in the projects panel, yes that's true. But it didn't start a new empty project as I "asked" Premiere to do. It asked me to import media, and I deliberately didn't do that. I named my project, hit enter, and it automatically put in the entire sequence from my other project, which is not what I wanted in my new project.

Worse, when I closed the other project, the sequence that I had copied from other project was not able to be pasted into the new project, either in the top left window, or in the left media window next to the working timeline, and not in the timeline itself. It is a massive pile of work to go into another project, delete all sequences that I don't want from that project, just so I have the pieces I want, and have to "save as" to get that new project done, instead of actually starting an actual new project without automatically inserting a sequence that I didn't import or ask for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens when you launch Premiere, from the desktop icon, and without selecting any project to open, select create a new project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course that works. The issue I'm talking about and others are talking about is when we say new project in Adobe Premeire and deliberately don't import any media or sequence, it fills it with the media and sequences from another open project. And if close that project from before, it removes everything from my new project to, and won't let me paste my "copied" sequence into the new project.

So closing it would cause the same problem, not being able to copy a sequence and paste it into a brand new project. I'm not saying it's a bug, it's a limitation, that only allows you to copy and paste sequences within the same project, and automatically adds your media and sequences to any new project you start, even if that's not what you want. 

In order to get part of my sequence in a new project, I had to cut out everything else but the sequence I wanted, export it, and then import it as media after closing all projects and starting a new one. Way more work than I want it to be. 

Again, I'm not saying something's wrong, just that it works in a way that's not at all intuitive. If I start a new project, what makes it think I want my old project just added to the new one when I didn't ask Premiere to do that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering the question.

We've always needed to close projects before opening or creating new ones in an old-style 'stand-alone project' mode. Having mulitple projects open in stand-alone mode can become a right mess quickly.

Which is one of the reasons I switched my shop to a Production a couple years back. I can have projects open for different clients, access all my b-roll and audio library, graphics etc. without any duplications or mess from having multiple projects open in stand-alone mode.

Try that with several stand-alone projects open simultaneously, trying to move assets around? Insta-mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2024 Jan 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what most people don't like is companies deciding things for them. Big brother. Who gets to tell me it's too messy, too unwieldy. I wasn't looking to start a mess. I wanted to take a sequence from one project, copy it and paste it into a new project. Then close my previous project and start working on my new one.

I realize it's a limitation but it's also poor design and frustrating if I start a new project and don't start with any media or import anything that Premiere automatically puts something there. That's controlling my workflow and not allowing me to build my project the way I am actually "telling" Premiere to do it.

I want to be able to copy a sequence or segment from one project into a new project. That seems simple and practical, and it's a poor limitation that is interfering it. Thus you have the thread with people complaining. It's unfortunate that many people think something's a bug when it's just a feature that they don't like. It gets reported over and over with people looking for solutions, but in fact, it's a way of functioning that Adobe needs to change if they want to gives us full control over our projects.

I can see the purpose of copying your other project into your new one, but that should not be automatic. When someone goes out of their way to not import media, and deliberately start a brand new project, they are trying to do something else and the software interferes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're missing a major function of the Import page. As the Import page is not just a new project tool.

It is also, by design, a tool to *add* media to the current project. As good as the MediaBrowser panel for importing spanned clips and other complex media.

So if you have a project open, and use the Import page, by design it assumes you are telling it to import into the current open project.

Close the project to create an actual new project.

Or use it within a project to add media to that project.

They could certainly make that more obvious but that is the design.

And you don't need to close Premiere, simply use the Close Project command or keyboard shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again though, I don't like assumptions. Assumptions mean that someone is deciding for me what I am meaning to do. If I deliberately try to start a new empty project, I don't want it putting something in there. As I said, what I want to do is copy a segment from one project and paste it into another one. Closing the first project removes that option. Closing Premiere and opening it again removes that option. It's a feature I want, and it's not there because Adobe decided for me that I want to import the same sequence I am working on into my new project. I'm not even sure why that would be. If I actually copied a segment or sequence out of the project, clearly I don't want the whole project placed into the new one.

Oh well, I don't get stressed about this, but it sucks because it's not what I am trying to get Premiere to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the frustration, certainly. And as I said, they could certainly make that clear ... which it most definitely is not.

As to assumptions ... with something this complicated, there will always be "assumptions" ... which is why many parts have added shorts or controls to allow the user to control the assumptions. That should be added here also.

I didn't even realize the Import page worked as well as the MediaBrowser for importing complex assets to a current project until recently, when noted Adobe staffer/expert Karl Soule posted an article about it in the Facebook pro Adobe Pro Editors group. It's as solid for metadata handling as the MediaBrowser and for many things faster to use. Huh.

Yea, there's a lot about this app that could be more clear.

For your needs, you'd need to hit your close-project shortcut, create a new project, then open the previous. You might be able to copy something, close project, create new, and paste ... I'd have to try that.

But then, I do not like working in stand-alone mode anyway. It's just a messy ... mess. We're all different of course ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Oh I'm going to try that. Thanks for the idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

timbishop4000  wrote

So I have to completely close Premiere, then open it up and open the new file.

Or you can just close your current project first, before opening the new project by going to the menu File > Close Project.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently ran into this same issue when creating a new project after completing the first of a few.  Which brought me here. I guess the mistake is keeping Premiere open and then creating a new project. 

Consequently, I created duplicate projects which made it difficult to find the project file I really needed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option past what MtD suggested, is that if there are multiple projects open, you'll have multiple Project tabs in the Project panel, and you can simply close the one you want closed from there also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. How did you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a 'fix' per se. In stand-alone or standard project mode, Premiere allows multiple projects to be open at the same time. So you need to manually close and open projects and pay attention to which project you are technically working in at any moment if you have multiple projects open.

But I'm so used to working in Productions mode that the old stand-alone projects seems like ancient history to me anymore. I don't understand working that way actually. Because in Productions mode this is never a problem.

It does take a bit of relearning your organizational practices. But is so slick to use once you get into it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2021 Dec 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem and found your post. I then figured it out. Click on the three lines next to the name of your new project in the media browser (bottom left panel) and click on close all other projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines