• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Playback play/stop lag ever since 2020 update

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Playback commands have been super laggy ever since I updated to the 2020 version. Playback continues to play for about 3-4 seconds after stopping it. It happens about a 4th of the time, but it's enough to slow my editing way down. Starting playback is the same way. It doesn't matter whether I'm on my 2019 MacBook Pro or my 2017 iMac, it still struggles. I'm on a super fast system with my footage, app, and media cache all on separate thunderbolt SSD drives, so I shouldn't be having this problem. I can't figure it out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I display a 3-minute song in the Source Monitor, the Premiere Pro interface slows to a crawl. You can watch a video I made demonstrating the problem.

It's obvious what's happening here...premiere is using lots of resources to display the waveform. It's not optimized. Must be the shape of the motherboard, though.

Others have discussed how slow and unresponsive Premiere becomes when the Essential Graphics panel is open. I have this problem as well. Apple is to blame here too? I wonder what the Apple Genius will say when I ask him why my Essential Graphics panel is causing a slowdown while I'm trying to edit a video...

Apple is to blame for Premiere's problems, and besides, Mac users shouldn't expect Premiere to work well anyway? Bizarre...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one is saying Premiere Pro does not have bugs. I am saying the 2019 Mac Pro has had problems with other software and 3rd party hardware. Can you accept that the Mac Pro is not perfect?

That being said no one said anything about the shape of your motherboard being the problem. I stated the Mac Pro is not a generic ATX computer like Dell, HP and Lenovo computers. It has funky hardware just like the 2013 Mac Pro. The funky PCIE slots for the graphics card requiring a proprietary chipset. My Z390 motherboard would not recognize the funky PCIE slots on the Mac Pro. Rather than tap into Nvnec your Mac Pro relies on the T2 chip to do that (the T2 chip is not the chipset). I doubt Adobe writes code for the 2T chip. Why should they? Why does Apple have to use crazy crap instead industry standards? Rather than post salacious arguments give us your stats so other people can try to help resolve the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how is the T2 chip a problem exactly? Maybe you should let Adobe know. It's installed in all the new products from the biggest computer manufacturer in the world, after all. They might want to figure out how to get their software to run well on those.

The Mac Pro could be made out of swiss cheese and spare Cuisinart parts. If Adobe claims their software is compatible, it should work. Full stop.

"Nvnec?" You know all Macs use AMD only right? You also know that the 2019 Mac Pro has standard PCIe slots, just like a PC? And this feature is very much unlike the 2013 Mac Pro? Is Mac hardware "funky" to you just because you can't buy it at a MicroCenter?

I already posted a link to my earlier problem, you can see where Adobe has suddenly declined to respond with an explanation. You, similarly, seem to be declining to be helpful.

Premiere doesn't run well on Macs compared to the competition, this has been my experience. There is nothing to argue about. I linked directly to a specific bug in the program with video proof and you still want to blame Apple, incredibly. No need to respond unless you want to be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benwinter

Keep in mind I stated the Mac Pro is an oddity. You decided to prove me wrong and waste a lot of time. I say stop with your fallacious arguments and concentrate on resolving your problems. Not all the PCIE slots in the Mac Pro are genric PCIE slot requiring a modified chipset. Apple is not using a standad chipset.

Who's fault is it that the Mac Pro cannot make use of Nvidia products? Do you blame Nvidia or Apple? Shouldn't Nvidia  have to run on Apple hardware like Adobe? As I stated enough with your fallacious arguments.   

Play H.264 using FCPX and Premiere Pro and check your stats. Is the T2 chip encoding or decoding? I don't doubt FCPX can make use of the T2 chip. That being said there is no need for the Apple to have the T2 chip for encoding and decoding when Nvenc and Quick Sync work great (more or less). For the record sometimes Nvenc can cause Problems. On the PC side we say dissable Nvenc and see what happens. Could the T2 chip cuase problems? Perhaps it can but who knows for sure? You have deicded it cannot cuase problems. Simply adding 3rd party audio and video devices can have in impact on Resolve, Avid and FCPX. 

That being said the video below has nothing to do with Adobe. Do you blame AMD or Apple? What is causing the problem? Is it the funky chipset? Is it the T2 chip? What is your best guess? Are you as upset at AMD as Adobe after watching the video below? Should all AMD GPU work flawless on the Mac Pro?  As I stated there are funky things associated with the Mac Pro that are a non issues on the PC side. I have yet to see a PC go into sleep mode and have the GPU rev out at 100%. If it affected one PC it would effect many and a recall would be made. Apple will have to fix the problem below because AMD will not recall the GPU just becuase it does not work on the Mac Pro nor should they. Do you comprende Mi Amigo?  The video below demonstrates just because the Mac Pro has PCIE slots does not mean they work with generic PCIE devices that work on PCs from Dell and HP. Apple only recommends Apple certifed hardware be installed. On the PC side I don't have to use ASUS or Gigabyte certified hardware. Do you see my point? Can you now finally stop with your fallacious arguments and focus on getting your Mac Pro working? Did you try selecting no input for audio As I stated show us your stats. That can help us find any issues with your system. There may not be an issues but who knows for sure until you check? 

https://youtu.be/U-6SqlGY_yg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Andy, I pretty much agree with everything your saying, but I do have a problem with the use of the word "silacious."  I think you meant to use  "salacious" which means having or conveying undue or inappropriate interest in sexual matters which doesn't make a lot of sense to me in this context.   I usually appreciate it if someone corrects me if I misuse a word.  you may not...  but we do seem to have gone down the rabbit hole on this thread and reached the point that nothing more is being accomplished.   Wait, did you mean fallacious?  

"based on a mistaken belief."  Just throw something at me if you think I'm being a jerk.  wouldn't be the first time that somebody's thrown something at me or I've been a jerk, but not always at the same time.  I really need to get back to work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgrenadier,

My bad. I switched it to fallacious. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not a problem.  you've been very patient on this thread and you have a much greater depth of knowledge on these issues than I do.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're really being obnoxious and this is not constructive. You seem to be arguing that because a Mac is not a PC, that we shouldn't expect software to work well on it. It's bizarre. You're talking about nVidia, H264, putting PC cards in a Mac... You link me a video of someone using PC graphics cards in a Mac, how is any of this relevant to me...?

Nothing you're saying has any relevance to me. You are on some other planet having your own argument, I don't know how to respond. I have a standard configuration Mac Pro, no "funky" PCI cards.

This lag problem did not exist in Premiere 2019, I upgraded to 2021...boom, problem. It's Adobe. It's not Apple.

24-core

Vega II Duo

2 TB hard drive

256 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benwinter,

I am being honest and even provided and example of an AMD GPU not working on the Mac Pro but it works on the PCs. I think you are very upset that I demostrated that the Mac Pro is not perfect. The Apple Mac Pros are always an oddity. Of course Adobe wants Premiere Pro to work on the Mac Pro but it might require some extra effort. Keep in mind problems can occur when using a Dell or HP. Adobe is trying to write code for the M1. The M1 is a new product and may have bugs in the beginning. 

I stated dissabling Nvidia's Nvenc can help sometimes.  That could be a Premiere Pro bug or a driver issue from Nvidia. Could dissabling the T2 chip help? I don't know but neither do you. That is my point. I am making a comparison I am not saying your Mac Pro has Nvenc. I will say if HP used proprietary motherboards with odd PCIE slots and a one of a kind chipset as well as some weird R5 chip like the T2 chip it would add elements to the eqaution when trouble shooting. That is true and that is all I have said from the very start. I have never stated Premiere Pro does not have bugs. We all know Premier Pro has bugs. That being said Nvenc and the T2 chip are supposed to work but sometimes they don't. Do you finally get it? 

Keep in mind you are posting fallacious arguments more than anything else. I am simply responding to what you are posting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Vega II Duo is an AMD GPU that was designed specifically for the Mac Pro by AMD. So its compatibility is guaranteed. You can't get hardware more certified than something that was designed specifically for the computer it's being used in. I'm not trying to use a PC graphics card in my Mac. I'm using what came with the computer. So the video you posted is irrelevant. 

I find it hilarious that you consider Macs an "oddity" when the chances of any two PC builders having the exact same configuration is close to zero. Meanwhile Mac Pros only come in one flavor and two kinds of graphics cards. If you develop software for Apple hardware, your job is easy. Make it work on one Mac, it will work on all of them.

There is nothing "odd" about my Mac Pro. If you bought a Mac Pro from Apple, you have the exact same computer as I do. So if the T2 chip were an issue, then Adobe would have caught the problem when they tested their software on a Mac with a T2 chip. 

So even if this were a T2 chip issue, it would still be an Adobe problem, as any Mac software development means dealing with T2 chips.

Would you like a video demonstrating how Premiere slows down when the Essential Graphics panel is left open? And the scores of people who have come to this forum to complain about it as well? Tell me how that's Apple's fault.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benwinter,

More fillacious arguments? Really? 

No one has said anything about the Vega GPU. That is actually a strawman argument. The link I provided demonstrated what happens when you install an AMD 5700 XT. It has some issues proving the Mac Pro has issues with AMD but it also has issues with AVID hardware. Do you blame Apple, Avid or AMD? It is not just Adobe that has problems running on the Mac Pro. That is my point but you cannot accept reality. You expect Adobe to be perfect but not Apple, AMD or Avid. 

You stated no two PCs will be configured the same way? That does not make them an oddity. The Mac Pro is odd an oddity because of how it is setup. From the chipset to the BIOS/EFI. Do you know what a BIOS/EFI is? Keep in mind the proprietary VEGA card for the Mac Pro will not work in my PC. Why? Because they are an oddity in computer industry. The head technicians form Nvida, Intel and AMD would tell you the 2013 and 2019 Mac Pro are oddities. The T2 chip is odd not mention the fact that the SSD is linked to the Mac Pro for secuirty reasons. The Mac Pro chipset is not a generic Intel Z390 or B360 chipset. I can put the devices at the bottom (link provided) in any Z390 motherboard and it will work. You know why? Because the Z390 is not an oddity. I doubt they will work in the Mac Pro. Why? Because the Mac Pro is an oddity. Do you finally see my point?

You are very confused. Not every Premiere Pro update would have an issues with Nvidia's Nvenc or CUDA acceleration and not every update would have conflicts with the T2 chip. Keep in mind I am not saying the T2 chip is caussing problems but I willing to be until now you never knew what the T2 chip did. 

For the last time no one in this thread stated the Essential Graphics Panel is perfect. I stated the Mac Pro is an oddity. You later started posting fillacious arguments.  You can post 2345 million fillacious arguments but it will not negate the fact that people using Avid, AMD and Resolve have had issues with the Mac Pro. Don't get me wrong there can be problems when using any Mac or any PC but most people in your situation opt to post their audio device and stats (I asked for them) as opposed to glorifying their PC. No one with a Dell or HP would have made post like yours. Why do you think that is? 

https://www.amazon.com/XT-XINTE-Adapter-Converter-Multiplier-Mining/dp/B07C79YLD9/ref=sr_1_3?crid=58...

https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Non-Raid-Adapter-Desktop-Support/dp/B07T3RMFFT/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&k...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, you're still misspelling fallacious...  and you are rattling the cage...  Let's all step back and try and agree to disagree.   I have a feeling that there are people out there using the same mac that benwinter is using preiere without any serious issues.  benwinter, would you like to do a teamviewer or zoom session at some point over the weekend and see if I can see if there's anything I can see we're missing in your situation?  If so, you can send me a direct message by click on my user name at the head of any of my posts.  Most of us here are just other users trying to help, although we do see adobe employees piping up occasioinally to help (much more than we ever saw apple employees helping back in fcp 1- 7 days - I have no idea what's going on in the fcpX forums).    Good night everyone.  It's been a long day for me and I need some sleep.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mgrenadier, 

My spell check does not work in these forums. My bad but I don't see how that is a major issue. 

We all need to step back and agree to disagree? For one thing you stated I am rattling the cages but no one else is. I find that very odd. How is pointing out the obvious rattling the cage? Keep in mnd you cannot always agree to disagree. For example the 2019 Mac Pros do not use genric ATX power supplies like desktops from Dell and Lenovo do they? Rather than agree to dissagre wouldn't it be better for people to accept the truth? 

Neil at times has been accused of being rude and insulting but if the information is correct it correct. It may not be what people want to hear but that is not Neil's fault. Neil mentions the iMacs color space can be problematic and describes why. It tends to upset some people at times but simply stating false information to make people feel good is not going to help is it? I simply pointed out the 2013 and 2019 Mac Pros are an oddity and Most Mac Pro users admit. In fact articles have been written about it. How is providing facts rattling the cage? Should I tell Benwinter the Mac Pro is not an oddity it is like any other desktop PC from Lenovo or Dell and you can easily swap out the power supply with any generic ATX power supply? Do you see my point? 

I know there are people with Mac Pros that work just fine I never stated otherwise. Keep in mind I am not saying the 2013 and 2019 Mac Pros do not work or that they are no good. I am simply stating they are unlike other desktop PCs from Dell and Lenovo. That being said I did want to see Ben's stats and know what audio device was being used. I did not get that information. All I got was fallacious arguments. I simply responded accordingly by correcting some of the information but I am the bad guy?  There is no way Benwinter could be a tad bit loyal to Apple? That being said Ben has misinterpreted what I have posted on purpose several times but that is not rattling the cage? Are there settings that could have been changed in Benwinter's audio device? Who knows? Are some of the stats in Benwinters computer a tad bit odd compard to other people with a Mac Pro? Who lnows? We never got that information. Do you kind of see my point? Once again I am not saying there is not a bug in Premire Pro nor did I ever. That being said to state I am rattling the cage is abusrd and you know it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Time to lock this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 9.22.19 PM.png

Do you see macOS on that list?

So why are you prattling on about it?

Someone put a PC card in a Mac and it didn't work, and you're surprised? This is supposed to be evidence that something is wrong with my Mac?

It doesn't work for the same reason my Vega doesn't work in your PC. They are not meant to be compatible.

There is a PC version of Premiere, and there is a Mac version. They are not interchangeable. No one expects a PC graphics card to work in a Mac.

Macs aren't PCs. Nor are they oddities. Apple is literally the biggest computer manufacturer in the world. They are just a different platform. They do not have a responsiblity to build computers that are more PC-like. The onus is on software developers to create good software for the platform.

I don't understand, nor do I care about, your obession with denegrating Apple. They are perfectly fine machines, and literally every other piece of software I use on it works FINE. Premiere is the exception. It drags along like a cargo ship in a sea of molasses, and that's on a good day. I constantly have to engage with workarounds and hacks to get it to work properly. For many years, it would cause my computer to restart randomly. And it still does. Here's a crash report from a crash that happened just yesterday while I was encoding with Media Encoder. I lost an hour worth of work. Now you might ask, why did you lose an hour's worth when Premiere is usually set to auto-save every 15 minutes? Because Premiere didn't auto-save either. Bug. Why didn't I save it manually at least once within that hour, you might ask? Because every time I hit command+s on projects of any considerable size, I have to sit and wait 10 seconds for the process to complete. That may not sound like a lot of time, but sit in a moment of silent contemplation for 10 seconds, and tell me you would be willing to be forced to do that while deep in the middle of a task. Premiere makes saving an annoying interruption, it interrupts an editor's flow. Surely there is a clever way for programmers to speed up this process. I don't have any other program that takes that long to save. Go hog wild and tell me that's an Apple problem.

Stop doubting my experience and blaming my computer. It's not Apple. It's Premiere, always has been. It was unstable, clunky, and slow a decade ago on my 2010 Mac Pro, it's unstable, clunky and slightly less slow now on my 2019 Mac Pro. My computer is fine. No other program has given me headaches like Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines