• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2020 Crashes when deleting a mask point. Really? Seriously.

Advocate ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why did I upgrade?

OK, doing a simple mask, (standard def video)  Got a mask point I want to delete, I hold down the Ctrl key and get that - sign, and click on the point to delete it, and KABOOM!!!! TOTAL CRASH.

I've freshed booted, twice, same problem.  Reinstalled the latest 2020, and same nonsense.

This must be a bug.

Ryzen 8 core, 32GB,  GTX1050Ti , Windows 10.... solid system.

Was working fine before v2020.

Now, if I want to mask, I have to do it without being able to delete anything.  Annoying.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The obvious:

FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences.

FAQ: How to clean media cache files

Then make new project and import old one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neither of the links above is working for me.... Help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the mask point process is very frustrating. I'm always getting the dam 'arrows' popping up everytime I pass over a point. Then if I'm lucky to get a pen point, it's 50 / 50 that I can grab it, or it creates a new point that I didn't want.

Most time I start over and keep the mask as simple as possible. Or just cut the clip in pcs and start fresh again.

I'm just not going to be deleting any points. I've already re installed and cleared preferences. It's a real bug. But, it will take weeks or months before a real fix is made.

As for Ann being a little 'harsh' no worries, I'm used to it. Actually, that was kind compared to some of the advice I've gotten in the past. She means well, but sometimes her advice is a little on the "scold and teach" kind of style. lol But she does offer solid advice. Well worth it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're dealing with extremely complex software where the developer has little control over the vast variety of hardware and os's not to mention other software that's already installed on the system.   Expecting things to work perfectly when the software is released is unrealistic.   Any reason why you can't continue to work in cc2019?   You might also do a clean install of the operating system and the install CC2020.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue. -- I'm using 2020 because it was available 🙂 I'll try the first suggestion and see what happens, but I feel Letty2019's frustration. The 'points' appear on top of one another in some instances -- so when I move one, there is another underneath.. then another and another. I've very careful to make sure there is no plus sign when selecting so I'm not sure why the pointers built up like that. Makes it hard to manipulate which is why I'm trying to delete some of the points.

I did think your responses were a little harsh.. 'The Obvious' -- I wouldn't have known to do that... and expecting things to work perfectly is unrealistic... we don't expect that, but would have thought you'd just have said thanks for letting us know about this issue, we'll report it to our developers. 

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tracy 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-I did think your responses were a little harsh.. 'The Obvious' -- I wouldn't have known to do that-

The respons was not directed to you but to Letty ............

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, the mask point process is very frustrating.  I'm always getting the dam 'arrows' popping up everytime I pass over a point.  Then if I'm lucky to get a pen point, it's 50 / 50 that I can grab it, or it creates a new point that I didn't want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'arrows' popping up everytime I pass over a point.

That is normal behavior;

Might want to use the magnify option or full screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a teaching assistant at Adobe MAX in Premiere & AfterEffects labs for four years now. I've seen quite a few rooms of 150 people or more at computers sit down and try to work. Something that is so common it amazes me, is when users try and do masking with a program monitor panel set to an image of maybe 4x6 inches on screen. And then when they're having troubles, go to maybe 50% view within that small monitor panel.

I've stood at the back of the room time after time, watching this. The instructor suggests enlarging the monitor for setting mask points, and maybe 50 of the 150 do so.

The TA's look at that and at each other  ... and we shake our heads. Why? That's such a struggle.

When you start with a mask, I suggest hitting the grave/tilde key to make the program monitor full-screen but still with controls. This makes it dramatically easier to do mask work with a pen-tool.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes -- I have a BIG monitor with high resolution and full screen and increased the view to 400% when working with the 'points'. I've given up on 'deleting points' I just start a new mask if it becomes too much of an issue. 🙂 It's working for me and I've finished my project...just hoping maybe there was a quick fix or patch available.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the scaling on the monitor? I do know that Premiere seems to prefer 100%, 150%, and 200% ... and rather gets cranky with 125% or 175% or anything else.

Other than that, this is something you shouldn't have happen. Definitely post this on the UserVoice system so the engineers see this. Include details on your hardware, monitor, and media in use please also. And yes, they do read every one of those. Just talked with an engineer at Adobe MAX last month who reads them all. And ... he wants as many "odd behavior" filings as people can send him.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2020 Jun 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, I'm having the exact same issue and this nonsense is driving me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. I was somehow even able to finally separate each of the path points that were inexplicably created on top of each other, and tried deleting them and the first one causes the program to instacrash.

I'm still using 2018, so if you're getting this issue in 2020, it means Adobe ain't going to fix it.

Working with mask path points is the biggest pain in the nads. They're slow and buggy as hell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same situation from the last 2 days. I called support today and they tried to help but I still have the same issue. I hope they fix this soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you full-screening the Program monitor using the tilde/grave key when working on a mask?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Either with full screen or not I have the same problem. I'm pressing Ctrl and click to delete the points and it crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dumping the cache/media cache files and Trash Preferences are typically the go-to for stupid behavior from Premiere, if you haven't done both of those, do.

Wish I had better ideas, but I can't replicate on either my desktop or laptop.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's beginning to drive me absolutely bonkers...  I start out with two points on my curves, and then tracking/adjusting their location to the next frame, I now have 11 points, because Premiere won't just let me select the already existing point on 400% scale, full screen.  I click, move, and another point is simply revealed where the original one was. AHHHH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sucks.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll have to look around your system rather than waiting for it to be fixed, because it works for most of us. I tried to duplicate but could not.

It's pretty much a must these days to delete your entire cache files for each upgrade. So, try that as Neil said. I've seen some strange peformance issues related here and it turns out to be the Audio Hardware preferences. You might try setting the Default Input to None.

Here's the easy way to delete the cache:

• Start PP from it's normal desktop icon (IE: don't open from a project file link).
• Close the Open/Home screen (and you will be in PP without a project open).
• Go into Edit/Preferences/Media Cache (Mac users adjust menu name)
• Then Press: Remove Media Cache Files: and Delete...
• Select: Delete all media cache files from the system and OK
• Close PP - It will create any needed cache files on the fly as you edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again to all,

Still not working 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me either. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2020 Aug 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. It is unbelievably annoying. Mask edits points multiplying and the crashing when trying to delete them. It does drive one insane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing here. Every time. Even after deleting cache and trashing preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, so glad im not alone in this, i can't get any work done.

Every time i try to remove a point it crashes?!?!?!?!

Prayin on the update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines