• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro 2022 22.5.0: Transparency of PNG on top of video layer appears as white

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 22.5.0 on macOS Monterey 12.5.1.

I've read about several issues regarding transparent PNG files in Premiere Pro in this forum and other sites, but nothing fit what I'm trying to do now.

I have a series of PNG files which I want to layer on top of a video layer. Each PNG is 24-bit and includes a 8-bit transparency layer. The transparency shows up in every other app, including Photoshop, Preview.app, and every browser.

However, when I import the PNG files in Premiere Pro, the transparency always shows as white, both in the Source panel and the Program Monitor panel. I cannot see the video underneath it and exporting the video shows the transparency of the PNG files as white as well.

How can I fix this?

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 26, 2022 Aug 26, 2022

My apologies. I cropped a set of transparent PNG images using ImageMagick, but the output set of images didn't have any transparency. I used the latter in Premiere Pro. I fixed the command I used to convert the images and it's now working. The issue was I didn't use ImageMagick correctly, not with Premiere Pro. The transparent PNG files are working as they should in Premiere.

If you are using ImageMagick and you are curious, do not forget to specify "-background none" in your command when conver

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

- Import the PNGs into after effect and see if you are facing the same problem first, if its the same issue. 

- Try to converty one of the PNGs to TGA with Alpha using Photoshop or After effect and see if that will solve the problem. 

Best, 

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My apologies. I cropped a set of transparent PNG images using ImageMagick, but the output set of images didn't have any transparency. I used the latter in Premiere Pro. I fixed the command I used to convert the images and it's now working. The issue was I didn't use ImageMagick correctly, not with Premiere Pro. The transparent PNG files are working as they should in Premiere.

If you are using ImageMagick and you are curious, do not forget to specify "-background none" in your command when convert transparent PNG files. For example:

magick convert in.png -resize x1920 -background none -gravity Center -extent 1080x1920 out.png

The above will have ImageMagick resize a PNG file down to 1920 pixels in height, and crop it down the centre in a 1080x1920 (9:16) frame, while preserving the transparency.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines