• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro freezes when Import My Large File

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having an issue where I go to import a mp4 file that is 6gb large and Premiere2019/2020 won't import it, it freezes in not responding mode and then crashes. I've tried resetting my preferences, I am giving it 24 of my 32gb of ram, I have imported smaller files of the same type (These video files are coming from recorded gameplay from OBS) and for whatever reason I just can't seem to figure out why I can't import this file.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Premiere 2019 and 2020

Ryzen 7 3700x

32gb ram 3066mhz

Several SSDs

Radeon 5700xt

If any of that helps.

Title edited by Mod.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2020 Jan 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

convert it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its MP4 already. As mentioned in the initial post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh darn, I actually didn't mention it was MP4 my bad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jackson,

Thanks for reaching out. We're sorry for the inconvenience caused. The freeze issue while importing screen recorded footage, is a known issue with the latest release and the Premiere Pro engineering team is working on a fix. However, Premiere Pro imports the footage after some time.

Let us know if there are any other questions.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Nishu,

I've been having the same issue, and am glad to hear that the team is working on a fix. With regards to what your saying about it eventually importing the footage after some time, I have noticed this is only SOMETIMES the case, and if it does happen to import, the footage can not be edited or played from the timeline in anyway, meaning it's not worth the wait anyway. If there is a temporary work around that we can give a crack while the team work on the official fix, that'd be awesome!

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the delay in response @MitchellColeman346,

You can transcode the videos using a third-party application like Handbrake and then import them in Premiere Pro.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Nishu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any chance of this getting fixed anytime soon? I tried using handbrake but I takes about 40 min to encode 1hr of game footage and such a hassle..I also tried waiting on the import screen but most the time it just crashes and if the clip actually goes Thru it just shows a yellow media pending screen pls help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey , 

did you grab the footage ? 
if so , you could while grabbing change the codec that you are recording the "new" videos you are producing. 

then choose a codec that you can import .

hope this helps 

Peter 

rejoice in the way things are.
When you realize there is nothing lacking,
the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
the whole world belongs to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what u mean by did I grab the footage but I've tried recording the gameplay in diffrent file types and they all freeze on import then crash..don't have problems importing any other mp4 files just gameplay 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

has this issue been fixed? i tried importing my 13 gb video file "and it is a mp4 file" and when i drag the file into premiere it imedditaely freezes and then does the whole "not responding" jist and i dont quite understand these solutions if i could hve a  more thourough explanation i would appreciate it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2020 May 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sooooo is that a yes  or no

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 31, 2023 Jul 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are grabbing the "screen video" with an app. Then you can define which codec it shall be recorded. 

If so you change the recording codec. 

the whole world belongs to you.>Be content with what you have;
the whole world belongs to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2022 Jan 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still an issue? I've tried updating my computer, the programs, restarting everything...Nothing seems to fix it. It all seems to work fine before imorting my files but as soon as it does, it's very glitchy and freezes, unusable! 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Samantha,

Sorry, but yes. Large files that are of a variable frame rate often need to be transcoded in order to work with them. You can inspect the clip's properties to make sure if it has such a frame rate or not.

Optimizing your source media is something that is often required when the original files do not originate from a video camera, camcorder, DSLR, or other professional source. Sorry, but it requires patience and adherence to a standard workflow in preparing a project in order to edit video without too much frustration. Part of that prep, again, is optimizing any source media that are not camera originals. If you plan for it, it's not a big deal. If it is a big deal, one can find other ways in order to capture these files so that they are nimble as any camera original, like using a video capture card, or a similar device, etc.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I am having this same issue on a "professional source" (Atmos Ninja V) with 1080p 59.94 fps ProRes HQ compression .MOV files. I definitely understand variable refresh rates being difficult to work with. However, that is not my issue. I have tried all of the fixes I could find, and think that using handbreak to convert my file would be silly given that this issue occurs with non-variable refresh rate media.

Please let me know if there is a way to fix the issue I am having, I can't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A correction to my previous comment: the import hang actually occurs when I try to import a file <1000 KB. Potentially there is an issue with some of my recorded files, do you have any insight?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are your files on the original card/drive or have they been copied to a drive and if so, how is that drive formatted?   Some drive formats have file size limitations which could be causing problems.   Will the files play in something like vlc?   And always a good idea to tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's ridiculous this issue still exists. Paying everymonth for a professional tool and i cant work cause it freezes everytime i try to import a video file omg...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

unfortunately professional tools are meant to work with professional formats and variable frame rates are not professional or at least have not been in the past.  I understand your frustration, but Adobe needs a constant frame rate because of the way it's been designed.  I know they're working on this as more and more people are using screen recordings).   I'm assuming you've checked your file with media info to confirm that it's variable frame rate

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

At least try converting the file with handbrake to confirm that it solves the problem.  

Maybe there is another tool for screen recording that does not have this issue. 

You might try blackmagic design davinci resolve to see if it can handle your material.  There's a free version that has most of the features of the full version.  The editing interface is no where as well designed as Premiere's but at least for me, solving problems is about getting the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally disagree - professionals are MORE likely to be using odd frame rates etc. from a variety of novel recording methods etc. as they try to push the envelople.

MP4, variable or not is a universal format. In my case the problem comes from encoding DV 32 bit which Adobe takes no responsibility for not supporting saying it is an Apple issue - yeah right they could make it work or provide an encoding system  - so that's most of the recordings 1980s  - to 2010s now impossibly difficult to access, and at the very least will take hundreds of hours of transcoding time that I do not have - that' the rub - PRODUCTIVITY - something  many computer people do not seem to understand. All this nonsense is only a means to an end - making good videos that sell. I would gladly work on older systems just to stop this kind of trouble but agian computer people need to be paid and in order to justify that they constantly upgrade everything - ignoring the mantra - 'if it works don't mend it.' 

I have 30 years fo broadcasting experience for BBC, National Geo etc. and work on all formats including Red etc. but this is a newish problem - has not happened until about 2017 - ufornuately also a continuing one in the lates June 2021 addition of PP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with importing OBS screen recs. So what I found as a fix is, import it in Davinci Resolve, trim the unwanted parts of the footage, then render it as mp4 from Davinci. The render is usually fast, depending on your hardware and encoding settings. Then I edit the trimmed version in Premier. It's a longshot, but for now, this seems like the best option. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear abhijithldr,

How are you? Thanks for chiming into this thread. Sorry people are still struggling with OBS files.

Resolve, Handbrake, Shutter Encoder - these can all transcode .mp4 VFR (variable frame rate) files to CFR (constant frame rate) files. That is what you need to edit these long gamer streams in Premiere Pro.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a little addendum...  Editready will transocde directly to a more robust all iframe format like prores...  while handbrake only transcode to h264.    it costs something but not a lot and it also solves any issues with spanned files 

https://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines