• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premire Pro File Imports

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to import my MP4 file into PP, I get an error saying that the file is either unsupported or damaged.  I have seen this, Importing MP4 Into Premiere pro CS3​, and I have used cyancat​ 's advice:

--

"For MP4 files that give this error message, rename the file extension  from MP4 to MPG or M4V. This will invoke an alternate import module that  will correctly handle the file."

--

When I rename it to a MPG, PP locks up when I drag the video file into it.  When I rename it to M4V, it does not lick up, but I do get the same error about it being unsupported or damaged.

Any Ideas on how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Expected something like that. It's likely variable frame rate (VFR) media and PrPro needs CFR, so the best thing to do would be download Handbrake, a well-regarded conversion program, and concert this to CFR.

In Handbrake's Video tab, click the CFR button AND set a specific number in the frame-rate column. Someone else testing recently said that using 23.976 still got VFR out, where 24, 29.97, and 30fps got proper CFR output.

I'd also recommend setting the level to 4.2 and the compression to near

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the source of those mp4 files? Mp4 is a rather broad wrapper, and not all that is put in an mp4 wrapper will edit within PrPro.

I'd suggest installing Media info ... when you've got the icon on your desktop, drag/drop one of the files onto it ... when it pops up, go into "Tree View" and make a screen-grab of the Video section, post it back on your reply either by drag/dropping the png file into the reply box, or using the flower-icon in the middle of the formatting bar to navigate/select the file.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MP4 was a screen video recorded with Nivdia GeForce Experience/Shadowplay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Expected something like that. It's likely variable frame rate (VFR) media and PrPro needs CFR, so the best thing to do would be download Handbrake, a well-regarded conversion program, and concert this to CFR.

In Handbrake's Video tab, click the CFR button AND set a specific number in the frame-rate column. Someone else testing recently said that using 23.976 still got VFR out, where 24, 29.97, and 30fps got proper CFR output.

I'd also recommend setting the level to 4.2 and the compression to near "placebo".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I can't seem to find out where to convert it to CFR in handbrake under the video tab.  Do you think you could post a screenshot or something?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here ...

Handbrake VFR Settings.PNG

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2017 Nov 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, this has worked and I now have my video imported into Premiere Pro.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What codec does this file contain?

Moving to Premiere CS6 and older forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Handbrake, the Codec is H.264.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2017 Nov 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use MediaInfo to analyse a clip and post outcome in treeview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines