• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with mkv format

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A big company like Adobe has a problem with mkv format ...why?

Is there a particular reason, or is Adobe unable to fix this problem and is incapable of identifying this format?

Please do something's for fix this problem...

I have a mkv format 6ch audio and then When I enter it into Primer, there is no reaction. Please give me a response. Thank you

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2019 Jan 11, 2019

Officially mkv is not supported but there are users who can import mkv without an issue (like me).

Easiest way is to convert with HandBrake to mp4.

BTW 12.1.2 is not the latest build: 13.0.2 is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My premier is 2018 lastest update 12.1.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Officially mkv is not supported but there are users who can import mkv without an issue (like me).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ann+Bens  wrote

Maybe converting is the easiest, but hardly the best way, imho. I'd just remux files instead of converting.

ffmpeg can do it nicely (https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/​)

How to:

- place the .mkv's in a separate folder along with ffmpeg.exe

- in notepad create a pair of .bat files there:

StartRemux.bat  with a string:

for %%F in (*.mkv) do remux_settings_.bat "%%F"

remux_settings_.bat  with a string:

ffmpeg.exe -i %~d1%~p1%~n1.mkv -c:v copy -c:a copy %~d1%~p1%~n1.mp4

Now you can just run the StartRemux.bat , and in a minute you'll get your videos in .mp4 container, without loosing quality and time. If you like, you can change .mp4 to .mov in the settings. Sometimes it's needed ( as in case when .mp4 does not allow uncompressed audio).

p.s. Important note - thoose .mkv filenames should not have spaces, or wont work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just found some JellyFish MKV's  for sample files, and I can confirm:

A) They don't go into PP 13.1.3

B) Basil's two batch files and ffmpeg work nearly instantly and very well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your tutorial. It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have saved me hours of work. This is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very fast, very efficient.

Thanks Basil1891

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked PERFECTLY, thank you! The link to ffmpeg didn't work (probably because I'm way over in the year 2021) but I got a compiled exe here: https://www.gyan.dev/ffmpeg/builds/ and you can get the sources at ffmpeg.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2021 Sep 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone pursuing the same issue on MacOS, please follow these simple steps :

- Install Brew : https://brew.sh/index_fr

- then,  install ffmpeg using Brew : https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/ffmpeg

- remex your file using this command : 

ffmpeg -i example.mkv -c copy example.mp4

where you can simply drag and drop the .mkv file repertory straight to the terminal, and drop it again (after writing -c copy). You can also make a .mov instead of .mp4 if you want to.

Please note that the new file may be located at the root level of your user folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2023 Apr 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, So I tried this, and it worked fine in the past, now I tried it again and it doesn't do anything. could it be that there is a limit of length of the clips that are capable? or do I have to start the .bat file in a special way?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been incorrectly marked as the "Correct Answer."

There is absolutely zero justification to degrade the quality of the .mkv file using Handbrake -- and it takes longer to render, anyway.

As Basil notes, you want to demux the .mkv file into the .mp4 format that Premiere can read -- without any degradation or rendering time.

However, if you prefer a graphic interface, just use the free program MP4Box with a full GUI:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/My-MP4Box-GUI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I do not (or seldom) mark my own answers as correct.

Besides this was 6 months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I do not (or seldom) mark my own answers as correct.

Besides this was 6 months ago.

Wasn't implying that, Ann (and agree that it's not necessarily a self-identifying mark).  Just trying to steer folks to the best outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A big company like Adobe has a problem with mkv format ...why?

Because it isn't used by professionals, the market segment Premiere Pro is designed for.  (Though that does seem to be changing lately.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is now limited, undocumented support for mkv. As of PR 2018.1.1.

See this thread. Post 61 and after is where this change is discussed.

For me, audio format was one variable that would result in no import.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10354566#10354566

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has recently removed the Matroska (MKV) container support from Premiere and AME again after they silently added support for it a year ago. The MKV support was limited to importing and no outputting, but it basically worked.

Removing the MKV-support again seems like a strange decision considering that MKV is used as the container format for 4K/UHD recordings on the majority of mobile recorders these days. But it is undoubtedly due to pressure from their stakeholders who are very much against open / roalty-free video standards (formerly just dismissed as "evil piracy formats"). But the real issue is that these open formats aren't controlled by the industry the way they have been used to. Of course, you can't say that openly, so you have to pretend it's because "there's no real demand for it" (But how do you measure 'demand' if not from your end users?).

But that is why you won't find any noteworthy support for open video codecs in editing software from Adobe, Apple or Sony.

Unless the MKV container has technical issues with frame handling/searching that MOV or MXF don't have, it should of course be fully supported by any company who wants to pull money out of people's pockets. Of course there is a massive demand for it. They have already been asked by professional media archivists to support it + other open codecs (FFV1) used for long-term storage of digitized analogue video... But they or their commercial stakeholders won't allow it, because that would make several patented formats redundant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I tested in PR 2019.1.2 and I can still import a simple mkv with audio.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speculation on the motives of others is often dealing heavily in fiction. It's something we all do, but any insistence on the accuracy or even applicability is naturally not available.

I've met and worked with enough of the program managers and engineers to ve comfortable in the opinion they couldn't care less about most of your reasoning.

It's a practical thing. They already support too many vastly different codecs for wise design considerations for stability.

And they have their core market production devices ... the RED, Arri, Sony, BlackMagic, Canon, and other cameras throwing more new formats at them all the time. They haven't even completed support for the BM BRAW format yet, and are taking a lot of heat over that.

Putting scarce engineer time into a secondary market codec like MKV ... or their primary market codecs.

Pretty easy choice.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2020 Jul 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the #2 request right behind BRAW native support.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least those are both sensible requests. I've been told of the top X listings at times, and most of them ... oh my, why would that ever be useful? ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone running into this with files recorded with OBS (link here) - OBS actually has remuxing capability built in. File -> Remux, pick a source & destination and you're good to go with theoretically lossless MP4s. Might work with MKVs from other sources but I don't have good files to test with.

(I also think ME/PR should be able to handle natively but I'll save it for Uservoice)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines