• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problems with importing symlink files into Adobe Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All original files for these files with .symlink extension were created in Adobe Premiere Pro, so there couldn't be any problems with compatibility or cracked files. Files with extension .symlink were created using standard Windows 10 functions (CMD & command "mklink"). I have checked how Adobe Premiere Pro reacts on .symlink extension and found problems in its workability. Example: Taking file "clipbefore.mov" -> using command "mklink after.mov clipbefore.mov" (so it will create symlink file after.mov) -> trying to import this after.mov in Adobe Premiere -> receiving such error window, in English it sounds somekind of "Failed to import file. Unsupportable format or cracked file". It is strange because file clipbefore.mov imports without any errors or problems. What is more strange, if we create .symlink file after.mp4 from clipbefore.mov, it imports good.

Extra info: original clip with extension avi/mxf/mp4 after creating symlink file with identical extension like the original file has imported without any troubles. Clip with extension mp4 after creating symlink file with extension .mov also imports (also strange).

I've also tested how it works in Finalcut and there everything goes as it should correctly. Hope this problem will not go unnoticed by the engineer, 'cause in chat it was impossible to solve this problem. Thank you for attention to this issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Duplicated this request on uservoice: Problems with importing symlink files into Adobe Premiere Pro – Adobe video & audio apps. Vote for faster solvation.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Symlinks, hard links and all those functions are probably not recommended in order to deliver video files into Premiere.

Also, you say they were created using Windows 10 functions but you have tested this in FinaCut (MacOS only). What kidn of system are you using and where are your media files located?

I think you need to have a think about your workflow and forget using symlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, can't argue with that it is much better to import files in their original extensions like .mov, .mxf and etc, but for me and my colleagues it is strongly needed to use .symlink files for further import. System is Windows 10. In FinalCut just tested how that software feel itself with importing .symlink files. All media files were taken from desktop for easy checks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've got me curious.  What are you doing that you feel the links are necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can tell only that it is strongly important for usage. Also, just interesting for how long it may take to receive feedback from Adobe engineer. I may suppose that Adobe are not interested in fixing this bug, but if this opportunity of supporting .symlink extension is provided, why it won't work correctly. Me and my colleagues have paid for Adobe Premiere licenses, so it is at least deplorable that there is no ability to contact with engineer straightly, but a bit glad that at least community is kind and trying to help someway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it's a bug or not, but without understanding why you want it, the only advice I can think to offer is change your mind.  It's just not a normal operation for editors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for such helpful advice, but it doesn't help . I'm on this forum because Adobe don't give any feedback by email. I respresent company in this tread, why it is needed at all to share details with you or someone else "why I want it" or what is normal for edior and what is not. It is not tread of discussion like what kind of weather today and the problem I've described is not an innovation. This functional already exists, I have written what's wrong with it and that it need solvation and where.

Also, I have straightly left remark that engineer needed. Can't understand what is so hard in here, problem is on the surface and described in details, it is just needed to test again and fix a couple of lines in code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just a user forum.  If you want to reach the engineers, you need to post below.

Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Duplicated this request on uservoice: Problems with importing symlink files into Adobe Premiere Pro – Adobe video & audio apps. Vote for faster solvation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines