• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Proxy that matches original resolution

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to editing using Proxy files, but every Ingest Preset causes the proxy footage to be "squashed" with black bars and not match the original resolution.

Obviously this won't effect the final export, but it is a bit inconvenient and off putting to editing with.

How do I go about using an ingest preset that doesn't caused black bars?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 20, 2017 Feb 20, 2017

You'll need to make an ingestion preset for that ... 2.39:1 is not a particularly common A-R for basic editing.

So ... in Media Encoder, click the plus icon ( + ) in the lower left Preset Browser panel and select the option to make an Encoding preset. Using an online aspect-ratio calculator, I found that half the width of 2048 would result in a height of 854. A good starting point for a proxy media, I think.

I chose the DNxHR HQ 2K 29.97 option, then down in the Video options tab, un-checked the c

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the original resolution of the footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4096x1708

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need to create a custom preset with a frame size that is evenly divisible by your Full Res clip. e.g.: 1024x427 for your 4096x1708 clip(s). You will want to set all other video parameters (frame rate, PAR, Fielding) to Match Source in the preset.

More details on how to create Proxy presets can be found at:

Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Premiere Pro CC 2015.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to make an ingestion preset for that ... 2.39:1 is not a particularly common A-R for basic editing.

So ... in Media Encoder, click the plus icon ( + ) in the lower left Preset Browser panel and select the option to make an Encoding preset. Using an online aspect-ratio calculator, I found that half the width of 2048 would result in a height of 854. A good starting point for a proxy media, I think.

I chose the DNxHR HQ 2K 29.97 option, then down in the Video options tab, un-checked the chain icon in the Aspect ratio box, and set the height to 854. For my purposes, I left everything else and saved as it was.

Then ... you make an Ingestion preset using that encoding preset. Click that plus icon again, this time selecting the Ingest preset option. In that list, select your just-saved encoding preset, and also where you want the proxies stored on disc. Click OK to close out.

Now ... in that Preset browser, click on the Ingest preset you just created, then the right-hand of the two file folder icons to select Export Presets. There are two thinking approaches to locating this ... one is to put them in a file you can find easily and store such Adobe stuff in ... the other it to put them in the Adobe folder chain. I do the latter typically, so I went into the Program Files/Adobe/Premiere Pro 2017/Presets folder, and created a new sub-folder for Ingest. And saved the preset there.

Now ... open PrPro, go to the Media Browser panel, make sure the box for Ingest is clicked, then click on the wrench "settings" icon next to it.

As shown below, select the option to "Create Proxies" and then use the "Add Ingest Preset" button to navigate to your new ingestion proxy and select it. Tell PrPro where to save the created proxies via the "Proxy Destination" options. Save.

Now you're ready to use that proxy on new media to import, and you can also select a group of clips in a bin, right-click, and select "Proxy/Make Proxies".

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2017 Feb 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks dude, big help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 12, 2018 May 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a 2:1 proxy for 360 pano work (original footage is 3840x1920, variable frame rate).

I tried to follow the instructions here, but got stuck at "video options tab." Is that in the create preset dialog box in ME?

"I chose the DNxHR HQ 2K 29.97 option, then down in the Video options tab, un-checked the chain icon in the Aspect ratio box, and set the height to 854. For my purposes, I left everything else and saved as it was."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I was using "ingest" instead of "encoding" preset, that's why I couldn't find it--thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a sort of double process. You make an encoding preset, THEN make an ingest preset using the encoding preset.

Obvious, right?  😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Obvious, right?  ;-)"

Totally, heh-heh...

Yeah, I didn't know what I was getting into...I re-read your instructions more carefully and realized I had glossed over some of the finer points, whoops...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those details tend to be rather crucial  ... sigh.

And easy to forget even when you've done it a bit.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello, I have the same issue. I have footage shot at 6144x2560 (6K 2.4:1) and was wondering what resolution I would need for the custom proxy preset  I'm creating? Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4096x1708

I'm a little jealous, dude.  What camera shoots that spec?  (I wish more would.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Red Epic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice.  Knowing how Red is pushing the resolution envelope with 5K and even 6K sensors, I didn't realize they also included a DCI spec option for recording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just for information, what you're talking about is the aspect ratio of the media and the sequence, rather than "resolution".

If you have 16:9 media, like "standard" 1920x1080 files, you need a similar aspect ratio to the clip. If you have 4:3 media, like the old "SD" video-tape era, then you'd need an SD preset.

You may need to go into Adobe Media Encoder, in the lower left quadrant, create a new Ingest preset to match your media ... save it, restart PrPro, and use that preset.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure how this could happen other than this being a sequence setting issue. Drag a clip to the new sequence icon a the bottom

right of the project panel. It is the icon in between the bin and the trash icon.

Screen Shot 2017-02-20 at 3.45.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines