• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Error Compiling Movie: Unknown Error" - HELPFUL TIP!

New Here ,
Jun 12, 2016 Jun 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just spent the whole weekend banging on this problem, and the solution was so obvious and yet also not that I thought it was worth posting here for future reference as it seems like this is a common problem in one regard or another.

I was using a project I'd exported out of a dozen times, and sequences that had also been exported numerous times, and suddenly this weekend every time I tried to export a quicktime using ANY codec, of ANY length, the export would crash and I'd get the mysterious 'unknown error'.

I removed nested sequences, I cut out effects, I tried removing pieces I thought might be causing it to stick, I imported sequences into a new project, copied and pasted into new sequences - all to no avail.

Until I realized, using old Spidey Senses from building computers in the 90's - that my FILE NAME had a "." [period] in it, carried over from the names of the sequences.

I had been working with a cut I was calling PREVIEW 1, and was using sequences I was calling v4 - but when I did revisions to those sequences I renamed them v4.1, and the Preview Cut v1 became PREVIEW v1.1, v1.2, v1.3.

I changed the names of the sequences to be v1_1, and - - everything is working totally fine with no errors whatsoever.  Nests, effects, everything working flawlessly.

I can see many people easily making this mistake and hitting this most frustrating of errors both for rendering and for exporting, especially when Mac's seem to generally be OK with using "."s in file names.  It can start a chain reaction of misery that is not necessarily intuitive to resolve.

It is REALLY DUMB that there isn't a simple message when exporting to an illegal file name that it doesn't just stop you right there and say "hey moron, that's an illegal file name and you should know that, try again and be smarter about it next time!"

Hope this helps some of you!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

JML Film,

We do have removing punctuation as a troubleshooting step for exporting troubles in the following doc: How to fix issues that cause errors when rendering or exporting

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I have heard this reported by our support queue, as well.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2016 Jul 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm hoping this is my problem... changing names now...Screen Shot 2016-07-28 at 10.00.47 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my God. Thank you for this post!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you sooo much for sharing this.  It solved my problem of exporting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2017 Dec 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yoooooooooooooou are amaaaaaaaaaazing dude

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My computer was displaying the same error message, and when I checked the suggested portion of the project, I discovered that one of the clips had the warp stabilizer effect applied, but it hadn't analyzed the clip yet. After letting it analyze and stabilize the clip, it rendered perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JML Film,

We do have removing punctuation as a troubleshooting step for exporting troubles in the following doc: How to fix issues that cause errors when rendering or exporting

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hola tengo un error parecido
ya trate mucho de renderizar en otros formatos y me sucede lo mismo
quisiera saber si alguien de aquí sabe de alguna solución para ese error
ya lo exporte de mil maneras y anda ya le cambie el formato y nada

alguien que me pueda ayudar.
info2.PNGinfo.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just had the same issue, same error code, and tried all the above to no avail. 

3.5hrs later,  all Cache cleared, new project opened and imported, nests un-nested, several re-starts and many, many, many deep breaths... I did a Navdia update (which was only done a few weeks back) and it rolled back my software on my driver and as if by magic, it worked again!  so for me this error code was not an Adobe Issue but a faulty driver update!  

Highly frustraiting waste of a days work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines