Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recording a voiceover records 'nothing'

Dec 07, 2018 Dec 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a Behringer Xm8500 mic, a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and I am having issues with recording voiceovers in premiere pro.

When I click the "voice-over record" button the red bar under the preview says 'recording' but the playhead moves and nothing green or any peaks are created.

I have tried recording in other projects and it works, it just doesn't work in this one project.

MacOS Mojave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware and make sure that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface in selected under Default input. I think that´s the issue, that the Default input is set either to No Input or to the wrong audio interface, thus no input signal.

If you still don´t find it, change the Device Class in the same dialog.

(Or is it Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio Hardware on a Mac?)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2018 Dec 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make new project and import this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

B&H Photo Video

Bypass the Scarlett.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mac doesn't have a mic input, so I can't bypass the audio interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 09, 2018 Dec 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Eeesh.

In that case, I would recommend something like the Roland R-05, or Zoom H1n.

Bottom line, bypass the Scarlet in one way or another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware and make sure that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface in selected under Default input. I think that´s the issue, that the Default input is set either to No Input or to the wrong audio interface, thus no input signal.

If you still don´t find it, change the Device Class in the same dialog.

(Or is it Premiere Pro > Preferences > Audio Hardware on a Mac?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have confirmed all settings are correct, Premier still will not record audio as of 12/30/2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! I had the same problem and got tired of just the "Go to Edit > Preferences > Audio Hardware and make sure that the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface in selected under Default input" as the only option in every forum I found.  Luckily, I stumbled upon System Preferences>Security&Privacy, select the "microphone" option on the left and choose Premier under the "Allow apps to access your microphone" heading on the right. If all your other settings are right, that should do it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 09, 2021 Jun 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the best! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2021 Dec 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Thank you for taking the time to share the solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after lots of fiddling I did what Ryan5C77 suggests and got it working like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have searched so many YouTube vlogs, forums etc. but is the only solution I have found! Thank you so much, it was the only one not selected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines