• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolve Fonts: Unresolvable (Will be substituted with default font)

Contributor ,
Jun 28, 2017 Jun 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have projects with unresolvable fonts.

When opened, I receive a Resolve Fonts error window with some info and the message, "Unresolvable (Will be substituted with default font)".

If the default font is close to the missing font in the project, I may not be able to quickly scan and see what elements have been substituted and need to be corrected. I also don't know what the default font is set to so I don't know what I'm looking for.

We have a style guide in our organization that specifies an organizational default font, Avenir. Substitutions that are close enough to miss on a quick visual scan are not close enough to pass the style guide. I need to be able to quickly find and correct font issues.

My question is three fold,

1. What is Premier Pro's default font?
  2. How do I set the default font to Avenir? This seems like a simple setting to implement in a menu.
  3. If I can't, how do I quickly locate elements that have experienced a font substitution to the default font?

Thanks in advance to all of the gurus out there who take the time to figure this stuff out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I don't know.

2. I don't believe you can.

3. I don't believe you can do it "quickly".

One technique you might use is to ensure that any system opening a project already has the necessary fonts installed before opening projects.  I keep a Fonts folder on Dropbox for such reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.

This usually is a problem with older projects that are being updated. I don't know what's in them until I try to open them. I'm usually changing some of the fonts and colors to comply with our most recent style guide, so I'd rather not have to install fonts I won't be using in the future. If it's not already installed on my system, my organization really doesn't want me using it in a project.

It does seem odd that something as personal or subjective as a default font choice isn't a setting somewhere.  To have to change the font every time a new text element is created is at the very least inconvenient when having it set to the most commonly used font in a particular work environment would make sense and save time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Michael+L+at+UNCP  wrote

It does seem odd that something as personal or subjective as a default font choice isn't a setting somewhere.  To have to change the font every time a new text element is created is at the very least inconvenient when having it set to the most commonly used font in a particular work environment would make sense and save time.

File a feature request here:

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In regards to creating additional title cards without having to set the Font Family more than once, you can copy and paste type objects from one title to another (assuming that you're using what's now the Legacy Title feature).  Alternatively, you can click the "New Title Based on Current Title" button.

A nice thing about the copy and paste approach is that it does a "paste in place".

For projects that require the same graphics look, it's common to create a PR project file with just the various title cards (main title, sub-headers, lower 3rd, interstitials, backplates, end plates, island card, etc.) and then import that project into a new project so that all the titles are pre-made.

Of course, there's the new Motion Graphics Template, but it appears we're not discussing that here.

On Mac, the default font should be Myriad Pro.  On Windows, the default font should be Arial.  It's the system default font, not the Premiere default.

This may have already been mentioned, but if you get a missing font message the first thing to do is to install and/or activate those fonts and then re-open the project file.

It's not uncommon to require a "Font Callout List" for each project.  That's just a text file that names every Font Family and Font Style being used in a project file.

Avenir's a great font to design with as it provides a wide range of styles (black, book, heavy, light, medium, roman); however, the default system fonts are very close to it (the proportions are not as even, but san-safirs with very similar bowls, counters and loops.  It would take an experienced eye to spot the difference.

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been so long since I've had a missing font in Premiere Pro that I completely forgot what happens.

The Events dialog box (Window > Events) should name the font used for replacement.  For example, it might read, "Invalid font family: United Sans Reg, replaced by: Courier".

One would then have to go to each title card and inspect it for Courier, replacing it with a suitable alternate.

Yeah, this is a feature that could improve. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what's in them until I try to open them.

To solve that, start you own Fonts folder.  Copy everything currently installed over to it.  Whenever a new font is installed, copy that one as well.  Build up your Font collection in this way, and you'll always have whatever any given project needs.

It doesn't help much with the current issue, but it can prevent the issue in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. We have a style guide that dictates usable fonts, so anything I create won't have missing fonts. The issue has been with past projects created by others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2018 Mar 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon said:

To solve that, start you own Fonts folder.  Copy everything currently installed over to it.  Whenever a new font is installed, copy that one as well.  Build up your Font collection in this way, and you'll always have whatever any given project needs.

How do you do this? Where do I "start my own font folder"? Is all this font management built into Premiere or do you have to do this using the OS tools? Why are there so many fonts in the first place and why are they always missing from every "motion template" I've ever tried to use in Premiere? Why can't the software manage these dependencies automatically?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep my Fonts folder on Dropbox.  That way I have access to it from any machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That makes perfect sense. However I've never had to "manage" my fonts.

When I get a template I expect it to be complete and stand alone. So the way PP is designed with these lovely new motion templates is that I have to manage the template itself AND manage the fonts separately because they have no way to keep them together as a complete object. Does that sum it up or am I missing something (besides fonts :-).

The result is that I don't use the new templates in PP because looking for the fonts is a PITA so far. Not to mention that the first time I dropped one of those new templates onto my timeline, PP crashed and I lost my unsaved edits. That's how I got here, looking for a solution but I'm haven't found one yet and I'm done looking for now.

"I use no feature before it's time." -- anonymous

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have enough experience with the templates to answer your question with certainty.  I can only say that your description is how I'd expect it to work.  The template needs to font installed on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To have to change the font every time a new text element is created

That's why we have Styles.  But...this can be improved even more.

FR: Global Templates for Titles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way, quick or not, to find graphical elements that have experienced a font substitution?

Jim_Simon

One technique you might use is to ensure that any system opening a project already has the necessary fonts installed before opening projects.  I keep a Fonts folder on Dropbox for such reason.

How do I see what fonts are in a project to know what to install before I open the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I see what fonts are in a project to know what to install before I open the project?

You can't.  The process I described in post 4 needs to be done as you go, and won't work at all if you're not the only editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2021 and I can't believe this is still an issue.

I migrated from Mac to PC and many of the fonts used in previous and active projects are not in Windows. Yes, I could copy them over from the Mac but it wouldn't be legal for many of the fonts and, as a content creator, intellectual property rights matter to me. I also can't afford to buy all of the fonts I'd need. It should be possible to set a default font and default substitution font in Premiere the way you can in Adobe Acrobat.

I would expect that there are many of us working in environments with style guides, using a fixed set of fonts, who would appreciate being able to set those in the preferences.

If you're feeling the frustration, please up-vote the feature in Adobe's feature request page.Feature Request/Bug Report Form (adobe.com) Select Adobe Premiere Pro as your app and then search Set a Default Font.

The feature to upvode is: Ability to set a default font for new text in preferences/synced settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I hope you've been around the forum and PP recently also. 2 things. One, there is a default font now, and 2, you're using the old feature request form, it's not used any more.

MyerPj_0-1623185851301.png

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

If the above feature doesn't do what you need, User Voice is where the Adobe engineers look for bug reports, enhancement requests, etc. The urgency for bug reports or new features can be judged by how many of us users upvote the requests. You can search for similar requests using the search feature at the lower right. It's best to upvote a request that has some traction (votes) already, and you can upvote and reply to that thread. If you don't find one the matches your request, then enter a new one. Regardless, post a link back here so those seeing this thread can upvote also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines