Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rule of thirds grid - Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am wondering if there is any way to display a rule of thirds grid on the editing screen - im just trying to do match some cuts of a birds eye drone shot and the positioning is a little off

Many thanks!

Jamie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Hi WanderingforWisdom - I have a .PNG and .MOGRT (Motion Graphics Template) file for the Essential Graphics Panel that you can import and overlay on top of your timeline. Just as MtG and Ann Bens mention above, you can poke the eye button on the timeline n the graphic layer to turn the overlay on or off.

Here is the link if you would like to download it for free: Rule of Thirds Premiere Pro CC Overlay — Premiere Gal

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can either make one in photoshop, or search on Google Images for a Rule of Thirds Grid. Once you have the grid, place it on a track above the clips you are working on as a reference. Delete it/disable it from the timeline when you are done with it.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have one made in the (legacy) titler. You can poke the eye to turn it on or off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi WanderingforWisdom - I have a .PNG and .MOGRT (Motion Graphics Template) file for the Essential Graphics Panel that you can import and overlay on top of your timeline. Just as MtG and Ann Bens mention above, you can poke the eye button on the timeline n the graphic layer to turn the overlay on or off.

Here is the link if you would like to download it for free: Rule of Thirds Premiere Pro CC Overlay — Premiere Gal

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it doesn't work without a credit card//

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jims link does not require a credit card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

leave credit card blank, you just have to put your name, a fake address and your email to download it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always wondered why Premiere Pro doesn't offer rulers, user definable guide lines and basic templates (rule of thirds, fibonacci sequence, etc.). Seems like a major oversight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 09, 2023 May 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is a super old post but I stumbled into this looking for something else. I'm not sure if you were able to do this at the time, but you're able to save custom guides you create and import and export them as well. I created and saved a rule of thirds guide for 1920x1080 projects. The support page doesn't support the file type for me to attach it but you can go to View > Guide Templates with the Program monitor selected to save your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the "Program" window.

1. Select View>Show Guides. Select again View>Add Guide. Change Units to "Percent". Change position to "30". Select "left". Change color to white (or whatever you prefer). Select the orientation to "Vertical".

2. Select again View>Add Guide. Change Units to "Percent". Change position to "30". Select "right". Change color to white (or whatever you prefer). Select the orientation to "Vertical".

3. Select View>Show Guides. Select again View>Add Guide. Change Units to "Percent". Change position to "30". Select "Top". Change color to white (or whatever you prefer). Select the orientation to "Horizontal".

4. 1. Select View>Show Guides. Select again View>Add Guide. Change Units to "Percent". Change position to "30". Select "bottom". Change color to white (or whatever you prefer). Select the orientation to "Horizontal".

5. Select View>Guide Templates>Save Guides As Template. Name it, "Rule of Thirds".

Now you can select this guide any time you want to for any of your projects. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2023 Jul 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoops, you can remove the "show guides" part. I repeated it by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines