Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting a customized thumbnail to my video using Adobe Premiere CC 2017

Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm on a PC - Windows 10 OS - ADOBE PREMIERE C 2017, and I made my video and saved it to my desktop. When I look at the video on my desktop I see that it has a thumbnail that does not match the main contents of my video. Therefore; I want to create my own thumbnail for that video and set it to it so that wherever I have this video of mine (whether on my desktop, shared in social media ... etc.) then it displays the customized thumbnail that I have set for it. I know that Premiere can take a snapshot of any segment of the video to be used as a thumbnail, but can it also set that same video to use the selected snapshot image from it to set it to its default thumbnail?

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2017 Apr 18, 2017

Poster frames aren't set in the video, they're set by the container or application that opens the video. QuickTime 7 used to let you choose a poster frame, QuickTime X doesn't appear to have the same option.

Some sites that you upload videos to will offer the ability to set a custom poster frame, but you would have to upload a separate file. It looks like Twitter sets it's thumbnail of whatever's 5 seconds into your video, which is smart because most videos probably start with black and then it

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Premiere Pro​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Poster frames aren't set in the video, they're set by the container or application that opens the video. QuickTime 7 used to let you choose a poster frame, QuickTime X doesn't appear to have the same option.

Some sites that you upload videos to will offer the ability to set a custom poster frame, but you would have to upload a separate file. It looks like Twitter sets it's thumbnail of whatever's 5 seconds into your video, which is smart because most videos probably start with black and then it takes a few seconds for some interesting action to start happening.

YouTube and Vimeo allow you to upload images to set as a custom thumbnail, but I don't know Facebook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and to make the whole thing worse...once you've set your poster frames in your O/S - be that Mac or Windows etc - when you upload it to Dropbox, they change it back to the DEFAULT thumbnail making all your efforts into a complete waste of time! Sigh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a site i download movies from, each video came with customized thumbnail after download as if it was encoded together with the video. Could that be achieved using Adobe Premiere? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, for example - Youtube - does indeed allow you to set a thumbnail BUT for displaying it there in their list of available videos, but as soon as you download that video from Youtube in your desktop then that thumbnail goes away and another random one gets selected by your PC, and this is not what I want. I want a way that I can set my thumbnail for a video once and for all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well like I said, the thumbnails, if one is shown, is decided by the player or video container (if the container supports that feature). YouTube takes your image and uses it as a poster frame, but it's not actually part of the video. So it's not that it's getting lost upon download, it was never applied to the video in the first place.

I know iTunes allows you to set a custom thumbnail, and I believe it's retained on the Mac (again, if your video container supports it), so it might work on Windows. I just did a very quick Google search and came up with this: Edit Thumbnail of individual Video File on Windows 7/8/8.1/10 - YouTube which simply implies that you change the artwork/poster frame in iTunes and it will apply it in Windows. Give that a whirl.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, it's completely ridiculous that Adobe Premiere doesn't let you set a thumbnail. At the very least, the thumbnail should be the first frame that appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rchrdgrace,

Sorry about that. Create a feature request here: Premiere Pro: Hot (1382 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Thank You,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin is Support staff, not Development. And yes, it's clear he talks with development frequently.

But it's better for feature requests to come from us users rather than him, really.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2019 Aug 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree with rchrdgrace. And Kevin - why don't you create a feature request - your Adobe staff and you are part of this discussion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why... is it something to difficult for Adobe programmers to set up? Wouldn't it be wonderful if your video came out with the best thumbnail for EVERY app or web platform you would use it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works:

Click the little stills-camera icon under your video preview screen, and save a JPEG or whatever to the folder of your choice. Ignore most of the rest of this video, I haven't a clue what he's on about:

https://premierebro.com/premiere-in-post/adobemasters-how-to-create-thumbnails-in-adobe-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines