• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Setting in and out points after merge clip stops working?

Enthusiast ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I use the merge clips function, the setting of in and out points by either keyboard or interface becomes unavailable until I reboot the application. Perhaps I need to reset user settings completely? Before I do that any one else seen this?

2020 Intel iMac 8 core i7 64Gb Ram AMD Radeon Pro 5700XT 16GB running Catalina 10.15.7

TOPICS
Editing , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Their "merge clips" option has some variuos issues and limitations. Have you tried the multicam clip instead? And you can have a whole bin of video (with audio) and separately recorded audio, and Premiere will create a new multicam clip for every pairing in the bin.

And that allows the use of say top & tail cutting (the Q & W keys) which you can't do with merged clips.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R Neil - yes I used to use multicam to sync audio and video (which is what I was doing here) - however it introduces one small limitation that you don't have with merge clips. When you merge a clip you can matchframe back to both audio and video at the same time, whereas with multicam, unless you use the multicam sequence audio (which I never do as I want control over the individual source tracks) then you have to matchframe audio and video separately.  

I've also found if I hand the project off to someone else then a merged clip is much easier for the other editor not to screw up 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thus illustrating some things probably most of us wish were altered ... there are different issues with merged clips and multicams, and depending on what you need to do, one may work better.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what version of premiere are you using and what are your source properties and sequence settings?  Any chance your sources are from a smartphone or screen capture recording?  If so, the issue might be that your source may be variable frame rate.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-issues-with-screen-recorded-footage-in-premiere-pro/...

use mediainfo to determine whether your source is variable or constant frame rate

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

if it's variable use handbrake to convert to constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr
and here's a tutorial on how to use handbrake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=xlvxgVREX-Y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - nope these are A73 4K25P merged with audio from an audio recorder. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the buttons on the panel Source and Program do they work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only checked the buttons on hte source monitor as I was marking clips in and out for a grab. But yes both the interface and the hot keys I set which are pretty stock I and O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

I'm having the exact same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2023 Sep 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I gave up on merged clips and I just use multicam these days. Merge clips has a number of unresolved issues. And even though you can matchframe back to the audio and video you actually break the link to the original clips which makes other things like a proxy workflow difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines