• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow Performance with subtitles Premiere 2021

Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone having an issues editing with the subtitles layer on?

Every time I try to make an edit or playback my edit. I get the mac beach ball. 

Is there another way to improve performance?

I am working with mac os Mojave Macbook Pro 2019

2.4 GHz Intel Core I9 Radeon Pro 560X 4GB 32GB RAM

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Wallace5C73,

We're sorry to hear about this. Have you tried resetting app preferences to isolate any preference corruption issue that might be causing the app to misbehave? Also, are you experiencing this issue specifically with subtitles or is it happening with other caption tracks as well?

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Sumeet!

I am on a project that has a lot subtitles (30 mins TRT) and we need the subtiles to stay with the shots as we make edits (we are non native speakers of the foreign language). The behavior that I find daunting is the contant beach balling as I use the zoom key or use the slider in the sequence.

I deleted all of the media cache and I seen inprovements on smaller sequnces with about 100 subtitles. 

But nothing has changed with my current time line that has roughly 500 captions 

I hope this makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior that I find daunting is the contant beach balling as I use the zoom key or use the slider in the sequence.

I get it. It is a major frustration.

Do you see a performance improvement if you are zoomed in? 

> I deleted all of the media cache and I seen inprovements on smaller sequnces with about 100 subtitles. 

But nothing has changed with my current time line that has roughly 500 captions.

Thank you for this comment. I assuem you are saing that 1) based on deleting media cache, this improved performance on sequences with about 100 captions. And 2) that a sequence with 500 captions still has slow performance.

For the 500 caption sequence, does zooming in have any good effect?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan,

That's correct.

The lag happens on the larger caption sequence.   Premiere has to constantly think about performing the next command when I zoom in and out or click on another tab. I noticed that I can't have two subtitled sequences open at the same time. Using the zoom tool on the smaller caption sequence is not an issue for me at this time.

I am able to operate the application with little to no lag.

I'm thinking about investing in an external GPU.

Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2021 Aug 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't know why it is slow, so I don't know if the GPU has anything to do with it.

I can't have two subtitled sequences open at the same time.

With only one at a time active? Or editing using, is it called "pancake" editing?

Hard for me to really test the zoom issues as I don't have projects that are this big.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2021 Aug 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for so much for your input. I am using the pancake method (i never heard of that term until today). I have settled on deleting the cache before I start working . I also exported a ref file with burn in subtitles and timecode to work with from. I probably won't use this workflow with larger projects with multiple people. I am the only one managing the premiere project that this time.

I've been monitoring my GPU history lately. I noticed that the levels are very high when I play down my timeline with the subtitles enabled.  You can see when start  I playing the levels are high (the thicker chunk of lines) and when I stopped playing the levels are low. No other applications were open during playback. 

I also read that MacOS Catalina is recommended for PR2021. I may have to upgrade my MacOS for better results.  Just thinking out loud here. I will probably have to  upgrade anyway because the egpu and graphic cards I am considering only works with MacOS Catalina.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 3.23.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wallace, thanks for that detailed feedback. I'm not sure what to make of it.

What do you see for CPU levels on playback?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is when I stopped then play down my sequence (this time it is the sequence with over 500 captions).

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.06.30 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2021 Aug 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm PC, Win 10, so no direct comparison. But let's see what my GPU and CPU usage looks like.

I created a simple sequence, using an SD video to minimize the actual video demand, made it 17 minutes long, and added 225 captions (via transcription and copy/paste). CUDA is on and timeline indicator is yellow. Doing a  bit of caption editing, I am not seeing any slow action.

Older, less capable PC. With the caption track visible, the CPU is 30-35% and GPU at 5%. With the caption track disabled, CPU is 20-30% and GPU 2%.

I don't know what this means....

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try zooming in a little on the Timeline. I also advise you to delete media cache. File > Close All Projects. Then choose Preferences > Media, and delete all Media Cache. Quit Premiere Pro. Then, press the Option key and restart Premiere Pro to delete Preferences. I found my projects working better after doing the above.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would happen of I reset the preferences ? Would I lose my saved workspaces or functions  that I've added to my keyboard?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What would happen of I reset the preferences ? Would I lose my saved workspaces or functions  that I've added to my keyboard?

I think the answer is yes. But in my opinion, you should always have these backed up.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with the suggestions by Sumeet and Kevin.

See the posts in this thread for more informaiton on the workarounds of zooming and temporarily disabling the captions track.  Also, upvote the bug report linked there:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/timeline-is-lagging-working-with-captions/td-p/12212802

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this really a problem that has to do with individual machine performance or messed up preferences / cache / whatever, or is the subtitle tool just a piece of badly written, ill-conceived code that does not hold up to the otherwise mostly fine performance of this complex software?
Is there anyone who has this modul running fine and working without problems? 

On all the machines we tested it, it's just ridiculously slow and buggy. The longer you work, the worse it get's. It often (!) even does delete changes we made 10-20 minutes earlier leaving but a blank subtitle-clip. It's sadly unusable. Which is a horror, because I'm working on a polish film with a polish directress and subtitles are crucial to the editing process.

... when it could (and should) be such a basic (!) but killer feature: imagine transcribing interviews and long form documentaries and later performing text-based search for certain buzz words. It could be so wonderful.
Please, Adobe.

You can do this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem does not seem to affect all users. It is being worked on, but for now, workarounds are the only way. And they are no guarantee.

Zoom in on timeline; turn off visibility of caption track (they can still be edited).

See this thread for some ideas:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/large-number-of-captions-locking-up-premiere...

Upvote this bug report:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/43871721-captions-in-premie...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donni,

After deleting media cache with all projects closed, try a new project in the new version released today and let us know if you experience the same problem. There are some bug fixes that may help. Hope so!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Donni,

I ended up hooking up an external gpu to my macbook pro and it is way better now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, I am able the toggle through subttitles but the lag (beach ball) has shorten to a few seconds.

Playback with subtitles is good when one sequence is selected.  I have a subtitled sequence that is 5 hours in length.

I have not tried playing back a subtitled sequence with two subtitled sequences open in the project. If that makes sense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2021 Dec 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, I am editing a webinar of 3 hours and edit captions, delete, create, move, etc. are really slow.

My PC: NVMe, 32 RAM, 12 GPU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What specific version of PR? 2021? 2022? If 2022, 2022.0.0, 2022.1.1, or 2022.1.2?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!, thanks for your response.

The last, I use the CC version updated (public version, not beta).

I have try with different video extensions and with 3 hours is so (SO) slow, with 1 hours slow and I imagine that with 15 minutes long its fast or normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2022 Jan 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here with 22.1.2

1001 captions (literally) and most of the trim, move, merge, split and edit actions take 1-2 seconds to complete. Sometimes it's instant, most of the times it's pretty close to unworkable. 

It doesn't matter whether the text is visible in the Program monitor or not, how long the text is, whether it's at 1/4 quality or full quality, etc.

Can confirm using the Windows Performance Monitor it's mostly CPU usage which is high during these actions. More so than GPU  (i7 8700k, 1080ti, 32 GB RAM, Windows 10)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Auto-saving takes a good 5+ seconds *before* the progress bar is starting.

The footage 47 minutes long, 1080p, 30 fps.

The only things in the project are the sequence, the mp4 clip and the .srt file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Susanne, thanks for that info. I cannot replicate the problem, and have tried with just duplicating a lot of captions.

I suspect that a lot of "real" captions may be part of the issue.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines