• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Speed ramp broken - shows wrong frame when scrubbing or going frame by frame

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm interpreting a 120 fps clip in 25 timeline and encounter this error.  Attached a vid showing what's happening. After time remapping, I try and move forward in timeline one frame at a time and it randomly displays a completely different frame (the same frame everytime). 

This makes it impossible to find the exact part where you want to slow down the clip. What can I do? 

Using version 14.0.4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgOgmJZg06o

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 14.0.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post vid on YT so we dont have to download.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

120 fps in a 25 fps timeline is not ideal.

Try rendering or convert the clip to 25 fps with a intermediare codec and use that on the timeline.

Did not mention your comp specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is an intermediare codec?

So the problem only happens when I modify and interpret footage. I.e. 120 fps clip> modify> interpret as

120fps is the same on a 23.97 timeline 

60fps is same on 23.97 timeline also 

Any time remaining added to these clips causes the glitch. 

23.97 fps clip in 23.97 timeline, not matter what time remapping, causes no issue. 

It's too much of a cumbersome workflow to render the clip every single time you make a minor adjustment to the time remapping you are working on. 

comp specs

Windows 10

Premiere latest update

Solid state drive

32Gb ram 

1070 ti 8gb Nvidia card

i7 7700, 4.2 GHZ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a different video showing it more clearly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR0J9ZE-Xn8&t=2s

My camera is Sony A7rIII and files are .mp4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It shows that interprete footage is the probably cause.

Could also try nesting before adding time remapping.

Intermediate codec is something like Cineform or Prores.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what's causing this to happen? Is it a bug. Surely this isn't supposed to happen? 

Nesting would take ages. 

Do you mean try converting to a different codec before importing footage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing to check prior to that is whether or not it will play as expected if you render that area. Set an in and out point around the area you're interested in previewing and choose Render In to Out.

Otherwise I'd also recommend Ann's suggestions. Try nesting the clip and apply your speed ramp to the nest. Potentially try an intermediate codec, which will edit better than that h264 that might be choking things up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"One thing to check prior to that is whether or not it will play as expected if you render that area. Set an in and out point around the area you're interested in previewing and choose Render In to Out." it does

"Potentially try an intermediate codec, which will edit better than that h264 that might be choking things up." so using .mov file instead it works fine. 

It seems like a glitch though - it's not that it doesn't play the clip at all, but scrubbing through for a moment instantly goes back and plays a random frame from somewhere else in the clip. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I had to guess it's that sped up h264 choking your system. It's just not a good editing codec. The fact that you rendered it and it works suggests that was the culprit as well. The type of media you work with has a large impact on the performance of your hardware and editing software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Phillip. 

What workflow would you recommend for converting 60fps and 120 fps footage (when the intention is for it to be used for slow mo on 23.976 timeline)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people like to convert all their media to an intermediate/intraframe codec before they start editing. The other option is to work with proxies-which is what I usually do when I'm working with h264 or the like. If you haven't made proxies before you can look up a couple of tutorials. I typically use ProRes Proxy at a slightly lower res. (I'm in Pr2019 and I think in 2020 they've renamed some of the proxy preset options and I don't know exactly how they correlate to what they used to be so you may need to experiment to find the one that works the best for you.)

As long as the framerates match it shouldn't effect the edit process if you're slowing things down-- although you probably can't use interpret footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2020 May 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - spoke too soon. 

Even if I create cineform proxies and toggle proxies on. The issue still remains. 

When scrubbing through it plays a random frame for a second, not the next one in the clip. 

This only happens when interpreting footage. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So to be clear: on 23.976 timeline

• Using 60 fps footage interpreted as 23.976 = glitchy frame playback (the file straight from camera - .MP4) 
  • Using 60 fps footage interpreted as 23.976 = glitchy frame playback (after creating prores or conform proxies and toggling on) 
  • Dropping that same proxy from above directly into the timeline (so not using the normal proxy workflow)  = perfect playback and scrubbing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you should opt for the first choice - also what Ann commented below - and transcode to an intermediate codec (effectively what you did by dragging in your proxy).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in Windows - can you convert in Media Encoder? 

I can't see any preset to convert to conform or prores?

Thanks 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try just using the clip as is, without interpreting the footage, and just slow it down in the timeline?

(FYI: ProRes is found under QuickTime)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 03, 2020 May 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just convert the 120 clip to 25 fps with an intermediate format your problem would probably go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, what's your workflow?

So I'd take all my .mp4 hi res clips - convert them to cineform hi-res (match source settings etc) 

And then when every single file converted, I could use the normal low-res toggle proxies on / off workflow?

I'm on PC - so Isn't prores for macs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So after countless hours on support chat with Adobe, problem is known error in version 14. And the fix is to revert to 13! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm noticing this as well. Never used to be a problem. Scrubbing through any time re-mapped clip on the timeline shows the wrong frame. Needs a fix asap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

V 14.3.1 here. I am having this exact same problem. I'm using ProRes... playback is fine, but scrubbing is not.

I'd love to try this in the latest version of Premiere, but it crashes constantly... so I had to revert from Catalina to Mojave, and back to 14.3.1 for Premiere. Now it operates smoothly.

Frustrating software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines