• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

.srt caption file imports as 720x480 and I need it at 1920x1080 (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

Participant ,
Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've been experimenting with YouTube's closed caption creation tools and using 3rd party downloaders to extract the .srt file from the video.

Even if I download the 1080P version of the video, the caption file gets interpreted by Premiere as a 720x480 and when I export the video, the captions get cut off...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

*steve

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

I have come to bring the solution to this, not even the Adobe guys knows this I'm sure.

You know the commands set to frame size and scale to frame size? There's actually a different behavior to them. I'm sure we all use set to frame size so we can have a better control of the scale of our clips, but try using these two with your captions on the timeline.

Set to frame size, scales the letters horribly, but Scale to frame size... chan! that does it! it actually changes the text sixe of the captions

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would check your process ... especially the 3rd party downloaders that do the extraction. As, if it is 1080, PrPro will see it as 1080.

You might try "dropping" one of those srt files on MediaInfo, and in the Tree view, see what is actually IN that file ... if it's 480, well ... proof the error is in the extraction software.

Media Info:        https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Yes, it's 480... but the strange thing is, all it is, is a text file. Seems like if I had a project open that was 1080, then it would be 1080 when it got imported.

Also strange is that the captions display correctly on screen within the project, they just get messed up after exporting.

*steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest looking to see if it's possible for those to be exported/transcoded or whatever by that software in 1080.

Also, check your "captions" tab in the export box, to see what options you have there ... I don't have any captions going so my box options aren't available right now, but here's where to look ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

I ended up going into modify>captions>interpret footage and changed the pixel aspect ration from NTSC (.9091) to NTSC Widescreen (1.2121) and that did the trick to get the captions exported properly.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out today!

*steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, not that I was that much help, but glad to see you're working away!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2016 Oct 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this, and the captions come out looking the right size and proportion, but they seem blurry as if they were zoomed in.

It really seems as though when you import from SRT, instead of letting you set the screen size like you can when you create one from scratch (using File > New... > Captions... and where you get the Video Settings screen where you can specify 1920 x 1080), it assumes it is 640 x 480!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 01, 2016 Nov 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the same. This makes the whole import subtitles feature of Premiere Pro 2015 worthless as of now. On 1080p footage I cannot make anything look nice with 480p pixelated subtitles. Very frustrating. Why such a half baked feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New version of Adobe Premiere PRo. Guess what? Importing captions are still broken and forcing footage to low resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

R Neil Haugen I have an SRT file exported from Premiere itself and it imports as 720x480 even though the original was 1920x1080. That doesn't seem to be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 29, 2017 Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My efforts at dealing with PrPro's c-c stuff are probably less-capable than yours ... I seem to always have to guess how to get it to do anything, even when seeing the instructions in front of me. One time it does what I expect ... the next time I try the same thing, it seems to either do nothing ... or something else.

This doth need major re-building.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I've tried to find similar post so that I can provide some insight. Unfortunately, I do not have a solution (yet) to this problem. I’ve looked into solutions within Premiere and 3rd party tools and didn’t find anything useful. I spoke with some folks from the team who worked on implementing captions. To give a little background on how/why this was implemented the way it was.

“It is somewhat intentional. To shoehorn the notion of captions into the video clip/track workflow, we had to treat things as if it were a special type of video media. As such, video often implies a specific number of pixels horizontally, and a certain number of pixels vertically. So the following defaults are in place:

·         CEA-608 = DV NTSC (e.g. 720x480)

·         CEA-708 = DV NTSC or DV NTSC Widescreen depending on the widescreen flag set in CEA-708

·         EBU Teletext = DV PAL.

This was all before the notion of open captions.  Now that we have open captions, the pixel size _does_ matter as it will affect the fidelity of the text. Unfortunately, for an SRT file, there’s no image dimensions in the file to tell us what it should be. It is just timecodes and text.”

I wish I could provide you guys with a good solution for right now, but I’ve yet to find one. I’ll post back if I do. As we look into how to address this feature, I (we) would love to hear how you think this feature could best be implemented. Please share here or create a feature request or both! http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Best,

Peter Garaway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I know that SRTs do not include any information on size, but how about this:

Upon import, SRTs are converted to the highest possible video format present in the project?

Or even better: Allow user to pick a resolution from their Open Captions video stream? I see you do these conditional things on import, such as 5.1 sounds "You need to install an additional codec".

Or even bestest:

Allow user to change desired clip resolution of a Open Captions video clip through the Source Settings dialogue found under the Clip menu.

Now we are at it: Also, allow users to pick a default Font size, background, color and Size in Source Settings. Your implementation does not allow for this, so I end up with imported captions at Arial 18, which is too small and the wrong font. And have to change all 300 captions by hand, one at a time. Dreadful! I might try to see if I can script my way out of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just been exploring CC in Premiere for a large series of videos we're about to make for a UK hearing loss charity.

I can't believe that this feature is completely unusable in HD video when importing .srt files. What a waste of time

I also agree with the other poster about selecting a number of captions and formatting all at once - it would seem like a pretty vital thing to be able to do.

Adobe - is CC actually going to be improved at all? I would guess not given how long this implementation has been around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it is atrocious is it not? The CC / Open Captions feature has seen changes for the last two updates, so I think it will be updated. However, unlikely in due time so people like you and me who need to do a job won't have to go elsewhere to find a solution that our customers can stomach. Anyways, we always had to, since proper open captioning is something Adobe has just been dabbling in since, what, premiere pro 2015.3 or something? And probably since YouTube made it a default feature for free

But this is just not finished in the oven yet. I wish they would have left it out or as a beta feature, clearly marked as "Not Suitable For Anything You Need to Earn A Living On".  Because I would never ever have tried to make a real project with the feature in it is current, sorry state.

But try those tools I mentioned, you need to finalize outside of PPro but it gets the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is - and doesn't promote the 'accessibility' cause either when the tools are either so difficult to use or are useless.

My current thoughts are to use Paul Tuersley's After Effects importsubtitles script available over on AEScripts.com.

Would probably suit me best - but for burnt-in subtitles only, not CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2017 Feb 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SiliconPixel  wrote

Adobe - is CC actually going to be improved at all? I would guess not given how long this implementation has been around.

Hi Paul,

We're definitely going to do a lot more with captions. We know there's much more to do in this area. We've received a lot of very good request and will continue to add more support and features in the future.

Best,

Peter Garaway

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 12, 2017 Feb 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I come from 3 years in the future, and even if you guys have added some features like import setings for captions they still don't work! so maybe you that are in 2017 could fix that so I can work today in 2020?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I have the same issue. Did you come up with a fix/did Adobe find a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No so far Adobe has left the Captioning feature of Premiere Pro as a half-baked, time wasting and frustrating feature. It is the second iteration of it and it is still not useful for anything but a few captions.

My work-around is to use vidcoder http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/364372-How-to-easily-burn-in-hardcode-srt-subtitles-to-mp4-mkv-wi...

If I have SRT files.

IF not, I use YouTube to subtitle my output, then export SRT file, then use this tool at the final step on my subtitle less-output from Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just spent an entire day trying to work out why I can't edit imported captions (srt). The adobe page makes it sound like the imported files are editable. Why can't they just say from the outset, YOU CANNOT EDIT IMPORTED CAPTIONS. I will try your work around. Thank you. Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 4.27.37 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tinac,

Sorry for the frustration. We do understand a good many of our customers need to create Open Captions reliably. Please submit any feature requests or bugs here.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have come to bring the solution to this, not even the Adobe guys knows this I'm sure.

You know the commands set to frame size and scale to frame size? There's actually a different behavior to them. I'm sure we all use set to frame size so we can have a better control of the scale of our clips, but try using these two with your captions on the timeline.

Set to frame size, scales the letters horribly, but Scale to frame size... chan! that does it! it actually changes the text sixe of the captions without breaking it! works with HD and 4K as well.

That's it, I'm the --... I deserve a full life time free creative cloud subscription....

Mod note: please do not use profanity, it's against our guidelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines