• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Type tool / Essential Graphics Text not working.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! I'm trying to get this new Type Tool in Essential graphics to work, but I'm not getting it to work. (Premiere Pro 2017.1) Which really bums me out because this is exactly the type of change I have wanted for handling text in Premiere. Is there some setting I'm unaware of?

Here's exactly what I do:

1. I switch to Graphics layout.

2. I place the playhead over a clip, and select it for good measure. The clip shows up in the program monitor.

3. I select the "T" icon (TypeTool).

4. I click in the program monitor. A new clip named "Graphics" shows up on the timeline.

5. I try to write, but that just activates keyboard shortcuts. I.e. if I where to try to start writing "variety" I would get the Selection Tool, since that's mapped to V.

I've tried this many times, with no luck. Creating an ellipse or a rectangle work fine though. I can choose "New Item" in the Graphics clip an ellipse or rectangle shows up fine, but as before nothing happens when I press New Item->Text in the Graphics clip either. So regardless with what I've tried I'm still stuck with the old legacy titling window.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your help!

/R

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

This thread led to another thread that has the solution: restart premiere while holding shift + alt.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi R,

I don't think you're doing anything necessarily wrong.

Can you attach a screenshot of your Premiere Pro interface that shows the Essential Graphics panel?

Which OS are you on?

Additionally, try replicating the steps from this video?

Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017 New Titler & Essential Graphics Panel Workflow - YouTube

Thanks,

Rameez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have exactly the same problems with the text tool. How do we solve this?

Thanks

Joe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joe: Are you still having problems using the Type (or Text) tool in the Essential Graphics panel? If you have a new issue, please open a new forum post about it; I'm trying to figure out whether the original problem (Type tool not working) has been addressed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bryce: I'm trying to replicate your problem. Is the toolbar active (blue border) when you type the "v" in your hypothetical "variety" title? When it is, then pressing V will of course activate the Selection tool. Make sure the Program monitor is active when you start typing; your title should appear normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset my workspace and then under "Window" -> "Workspaces" -> "All Panels". I was then able to find the "Essential Graphics" panel.

I was never a fan of the old title editor but this will take some getting used to, I think. Not sure how to use the old custom title template I had before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was never a fan of the old title editor but this will take some getting used to, I think. Not sure how to use the old custom title template I had before.

These overviews should help: Create title graphics and New Type Tool in Premiere Pro CC (April 2017) | Adobe Creative Cloud - YouTube

More info here: Essential Graphics Panel vs. Title Tool (Titler)

And here: Working with legacy title templates in Premiere Pro creating using Adobe Title Designer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stefan.

Unfortunately, I'd hoped that the import process would convert the title into the Essential Graphics title format but, it imports the title to be used as a templated version of legacy titles (again). Do you know if there's any plan to add some conversion process?

Apologies for the OT talk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel: I do not know of any plans to make a conversion tool for old Text templates. Go here to log your request: Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 03, 2017 May 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

my problem is that it simply isn't working. I'm running Windows 7 Pro

64bit. Since I only have a few of the CC programs installed I thought it

might be because things used in other programs were necessary for the Type

Tool to work. I generally use AE and Photoshop. What happens is I select

the Text Tool, click on the Program monitor and the screen kind of flashes

for an instant as if something is happening (actually a second panel opens

briefly but then immediately closes before I have time to see what it is).

The Essential Graphics panel is there but clicking on the Program monitor

does not add the text items to Essential Graphics panel as shown in all of

the videos on the subject.

Thanks for any help to resolve my problem.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 5:12 AM, DanielCroft <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan: As you've probably seen in the various tutorials about the new feature, the only app you "need" to create or use Graphics templates in Premiere Pro that were created in After Effects is a current license or trial version of After Effects. Assuming your AE install is the same recent install as PR, you should have met that requirement. Creating a new PR project, as opposed to opening an existing project with "legacy" workspaces, should start you out on the right track with a clean UI and a functioning Essential Graphics workspace.

You described your situation already but I assume you have a sequence open and the playhead positioned somewhere (so the Timeline is active). You switch from the Editorial (say) workspace to the Graphics workspace. You click the T tool and then... there's a weird panel appearing/disappearing and then nothing happens? Does any Graphics clip appear at your playhead's location?

screenshot_1227.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan, thanks for your help. Yes, all is up to date. I've tried both with

older projects (updated to the new v11.) as well as new ones. When I select

the type tool and click on the program monitor there's a panel that flashes

and disappears and a graphics clip appears in the timeline but there's no

way to type text anywhere in the program monitor.

I'm stumped. It should be so easy.

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Stefan Gruenwedel <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan, and now to complicate things the dynamic link between PR and AE

isn't working. The changes I make in AE are not showing up in PR. Hope to

get this fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, this is quite strange. Perhaps @Mike Berry Adobe can help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's no essential graphics panel! Help me, please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2017 Jul 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bryce -

Do you see the red caret in the text field in the Program Monitor when you have the Type Tool selected? Can you drag select text in the title? If you can drag select some text, are you able to type then?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, red caret doesn't appear. I only get a new Graphics clip on the timeline that does nothing and the Essential Graphics panel has none of the necessary tools for adjusting the text. Just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

[Typo fixed. — Mod.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 09, 2017 Jul 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan: Is the Essential Graphics panel still not working for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread led to another thread that has the solution: restart premiere while holding shift + alt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2017 Dec 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried everything in this thread and still doesn't work! This is consuming my time for an absurd reason. So, what must I do in order to have the text working?

I had to use PS and save a jpg of it in order to save time but not a solution by all mean.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this issue still not resolved? I have the same problem. It seems the Text tool or layer does not stay active, the typing cursor disappears instantly, making the layer inactive and therefor using any touch of the keyboard for shortcuts not typing text in the layer.

It also seems that in a new project things work as normal, but my existing project is corrupted this way, even if I re-import the project in a new one.

Could it be a memory issue? Plug-in issue?

I did change the short-cut keyboard a while ago but have deleted this and restored to Default.

Any thoughts?

It's really holding up my work..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has there been any solution to this yet?

I still have a completely broken text tool (it worked fine before, just select tool, click and drag a red marquee and type away). Now it just messes up the project window and no text appears. It appears as a layer in the essential graphics window and as a blank clip on the timeline, but no text appears on my video.

Please help me fix this Adobe, it is not good enough!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I did this and it deleted all my projects... is that normal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 04, 2017 Oct 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also could not get the type tool to work and found a different solution.

In my case, it turned out to be because the Program Monitor was in "Multi-Camera" mode, instead of "Composite".  It is an option under the wrench icon in the Program Monitor.

It did not LOOK like a multicam display in my case, because the track selector (not sure of the right word, but the little "v2" over on the left") was set for more than just the actual multi-camera video track.  So the display just looked like one clip.

It was confusing because the "T" in the toolbar was clearly lit up blue, but it acted just like the regular pointer tool.  Only clue was that no amount of clicking with it on the Program Monitor would create a text box (and no graphic clip on the track, either.)

Just FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines