• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Frame Loss / Frame rate Change?

New Here ,
Jul 27, 2017 Jul 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay so I have a problem I cant seem to solve, When I import a video file from my webcam (.wmv) into Adobe Premiere, I seem to lose half my frames.

I noticed my exported video looked a bit choppy so I tried exporting it under a bunch of different settings, when i noticed that exporting wasn't the issue, the video became choppy when I imported it. So I tested it a bit further, I recorded a video of me tossing a small object from one hand to another, when I watched the video back in windows media player, the object was on screen for 8 frames, but when i watch it back in Premiere, the object is only on screen for 4 frames.

I did some digging and came up with the idea that maybe it was a transcoding issue, so I tried using Adobe Media Encoder to change the file type, however when i do that, the file suffers the same frame loss, 4 frames instead of 8. I've tried tons of different file settings with Adobe Media Encoder but I cannot figure it out, no matter what, my frame rate seems to half itself when going through either Adobe program.

Is there any way to fix this issue or at least work around it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Hi CynicalRadiergummi,

Mobile phones, Webcams & Screen capturing apps often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere Pro. This could affect the quality of the final output due to frame rate conversion. Many users also experience audio sync issue with variable frame rate material.

I have seen similar issues before & converting your variable frame rate footage to a fixed frame rate using the free HandBrake software before importing and editing in Premiere Pro can fi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CynicalRadiergummi,

Mobile phones, Webcams & Screen capturing apps often use Variable Frame Rate recording, which is not ideal for use in Premiere Pro. This could affect the quality of the final output due to frame rate conversion. Many users also experience audio sync issue with variable frame rate material.

I have seen similar issues before & converting your variable frame rate footage to a fixed frame rate using the free HandBrake software before importing and editing in Premiere Pro can fix this.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Kulpreet Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 26, 2023 Jul 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please go grab a copy of MediaInfo and run it on the source footage please?

I am thinking your footage could be 'Progressive-Segmented' type which can cause iossues if it is not correctly interpreted. MediaInfo will give you all the details you need, and once you know the source settings & frame rate you can then simply right-click on the asset in the Project Browser, select 'Modify' and then 'Interpret footage' - this will allow you to override the import setting and specify the true frame rate - and the footage will then match what it should be (or at least, it should do).

The answer above - variable frame rate footage - is unfortunately a fact although I really wish it were not something that could be done at all - never mind being a default setting in some devices - as a variable frame rate can be a total disaster. If at all possible, disable this in your devices - there should be no place for this setting at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@neil wilkes you posted to a thread from 2017....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It came up in my feed via email, so I responded as it was something I knew about. At no point did the board tell me I was replying to an old thread (it used to do this IIRC) and if it is 6 years old howcome it came up in my email feed?

Most peculiar - although I thank you for the report here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines