Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video player recommendations

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2017 Feb 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Does anyone have any good video player recommendations for windows?

I used to use qucktime on a Mac to check my work. Which is really good as i can jump a frame at a time with the left and right arrows. And cycle the movie with the mouse.

In windows I cant find any video players that allow me to do the same, does anyone know of any?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

VLC is a really good player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I am aware of VLC

You just cant cycle frame by frame. And cycle with the mouse in pause mode. These things are really helpful to check work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In VLC under Tools, Customize Interface you can add a frame advance button and watch your video one frame at a time if you wish. You can also use a key combination to advance 10 frames at a time. Check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my favorite.  Very customizable.

http://potplayer.daum.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks cvid . I found that, but you can only go forward not backwards and it is still very difficult to scrub.

Thanks Jim potplayer is really good. Nearly as good as quicktime on mac, do you know of a way to scrub with out hearing the audio?

I am swithcing from a mac and there are so many things I can quite get back on a PC.

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do QC in Premiere.

It has full screen, multiple monitors including a broadcast output, navigation, scopes and is set up with matches.

It is also familiar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shooternz

Yes I do check my work in Premiere, though after I want to check in a video player as well. With full realtime playback and to see it played as others would play it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chrisc57769006 wrote:

I want to check in a video player as well. With full realtime playback and to see it played as others would play it.

In that case, you will need to use all of the players that you can, as different folks use different players.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robbie Carman, a major colorist and teacher of colorists, is now (very sadly, from his point of view) advising all Mac video-post people to begin migrating to PCs as it doesn't appear there is going to be much forward movement in the hardware capabilities within the Big Mac-o-sphere anymore.

As a long-time PC person, I did have to tease him after watching him speak, where he noted that ... amazingly! ... there were tools available on the PC side to do everything he'd always done on the Mac-o-sphere. Calendars that synced with his phone ... alarms ... note-taking/planning ... jeepers, everything!

Apparently they're more 'obviously' available on a Mac, and on PC, you search for such tools. They're all pretty much available in both OS's.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil

What are these tools you refer too?

What is the equivalent player to quicktime, with the save level of control?

Im getting this a lot, people are saying switch to a pc with windows. Though the moment I ask specific questions, very few people have answers.

Regards

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pretty much any tool you had on a Mac is out there for a PC, in 10 different flavors and both free-ware and for cost. Which tools you want, well ... that's for you to search for.

For video players, as Jim and Peru Bob note, Jim's Potplayer allows a TON of settings, and to outguess what others will see, you need to download a bunch of them.

However ... they'll be watching internet downloads from browsers and downloads from sites that modified them while uploading ... without calibration on the majority of the screens that people use ... and odd settings ... you can't ever guess how your material will be seen.

As Gandalf says: "That way lies ... madness!"

Learn to set your gear up for calibratable, repeatable results when seen on a properly calibrated broadcast-style system. Past that, you can't control other people's monitors or TVs.

And when Gramma's tv is set to show everything a bit green ... well then, it all looks "right", doesn't it? (sigh)

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For some one far cleverer than I..here is a great  idea.

Create a Video Player as good as Pot Player and give it the function to Chrome Cast.

Please PM  me as to where to forward my share of royalties for this idea! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Robbie Carman, a major colorist and teacher of colorists, is now advising all Mac video-post people to begin migrating to PCs

HOMER_WOO_HOO.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do you know of a way to scrub with out hearing the audio?

I've never tried it, so I don't know that offhand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris:

I've found the free version of Telestream Switch very helpful.  It's main upside is that it can play most of the CODECs that were supported at the OS level via the now deprecated/discontinued QuickTime drivers at the application level (as far as I'm aware, VLC Player still depends on QuickTime running under the hood for MOV files).

http://www.telestream.net/switch/overview.htm

-Warren

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines