• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WARNING: If you rely on exporting captions for broadcast....

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.mxf OP1a exports with embedded 608 or 708 captions is NOT working. Master control sees the captions flag, but no captions. This WILL BLOW UP YOUR TV SHOW if you're not careful. As a workaround, I exported a ProRes 422 HQ file and captioned it as per usual in 14.9. Thank God. Of course now I have to suffer with the grief of having two versions on my machine... but it's better than running color bars in my time slot. Lord.

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up! Please keep us posted if you're able to narrow down the issue. It's terrifying to run into these kinds of issues at the last minute.

I just sent a TV episode to a network early to have them check it out. They've alerted me to captions compatibility issues in the past, but they said this program worked fine on their system. Here was my setup:

Successful:

MXF OP1a (XDCAM 50 NTSC 4:2:2)

Embedded captions on 608 CC1

Premiere v15.0 / Mac Mojave 10.14.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clint - that's our exact recipe. I think we're solved for now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting an embedded 608 and 708 caption timeline in 15.4.  When I see the export I believe that the caption is burned in the video like a subtitle but I can't be positive because I can't see how to turn captioning off in a viewer like VLC.  I don't want to send the stations a burned in caption when it's supposed to be closed.  Do you have a suggestion for ensuring the captioning is hidden?

Thanks,

JIm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm exporting an embedded 608 and 708 caption timeline in 15.4.  When I see the export I believe that the caption is burned in the video like a subtitle but I can't be positive because I can't see how to turn captioning off in a viewer like VLC.  I don't want to send the stations a burned in caption when it's supposed to be closed.  Do you have a suggestion for ensuring the captioning is hidden?

Thanks,

JIm

By @mcnallyj

Just import the file back into premiere and you can see the caption tracks, enable and disable them as you wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! Got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bizarre to hear, what playout system are you using? We haven't had any issues at our station and our ITX playout server is seeing the captions from our premiere mxf op1a files just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By any chance are you using any of the effect options under the Effects tab in the Export Settings? We do have an open issue with effects applied via Effects tab in Export Settings (eg: Time Tuner, Video Limiter, etc.), that we are working on. A possible workaround is to apply the effect(s) in your Timeline, rather than Export Settings (eg: apply effect(s) to Adjustment Layer in Timeline)

One other open issue we are working on involves Sequences with non-standard frame rates (eg: Variable Frame Rate, 23.98 fps instead of 23.976, etc.). Possible workaround is to create Sequence with one of the available Timebase fps options or use one of the supplied Sequence presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No effects upon export, although I do put an SMPTE limiter adjustment layer across the entire timeline upon export. I'm also acquiring in 29.97 and 30p, but exporting 29.97. I have had better luck lately exporting out of Premier 15 with results as expected. With that said, there are still what I would call some strange behaviors happening with captions that are too inchoate to describe here - but I have had OK results lately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a really awesome app called MediaInfo.  It will show you your file and if the CC is embedded. It's $2.99 for one year and $7.99 for a lifetime subscription.  https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

carlw86156958_0-1658248951105.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for reviving a long-dormant thread, but I'm experiencing a very similar issue in Premiere Pro 2022.

After exporting my MXF OP1a, I can import the clip back into the project, and I see that the captions are embedded. But the network sees no caption information once it hits their server. They told me they're using Carbon Coder to flip all their files... and they also receive files from other vendors who successfully provide captioned programs.

I've exported both 608 & 708. Always export MXF OP1a (XDCAM 50 NTSC 422).

Windows 10

No Export Effects

Any developments on this front?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My problem has been resolved a couple of updates ago - but I can't tell you
why. I'm actually self-captioning my show now the tool is so good...
finally. So I've kinda' left this behind.

Tom Layson
(PII removed by moderator)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines