• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why aren't I seeing dropped frames?

Engaged ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally I can see dropped frames easily, such as when importing a 30fps clip into a 23.976 timeline. But I can't see dropped frames in the latest clip dumped into the timeline, but that clip is different – it's 25 fps. I've looked and looked but no dropped frames. I want to understand why. Here is the background. I'll work in frame units not time units.

• I captured a PAL VHS tape into ProRes 422HQ.
  • The capture shows up in Premiere's Project window as Progressive, but Premiere is wrong. It's actually interlaced, Upper Field first.
  • So I intrepret the clip as Upper Field First and place it in the timeline. Looks beautiful. No interlace artifacts. If I don't interpret, I can see the interlacing. So let's say it's interlaced.
  • In the Project window, Premiere reports the 25fps clip as 46640 frames.
  • In the 23.976 timeline, Premiere says the clip is 44729 frames. The frame ratio (44729/46640) is exactly the same as the fps ratio (23.976/25). All is good so far. 1911 frames have been dropped.

The problem is – I can't see those dropped frames, and I don't like it when my understanding of what should be happening, differs from what is actually happening.

Ques

What could explain the lack of visible dropped frames? Is Premiere doing some fancy blending of the interlacing?

If anyone would like to play aroung with a 5-second extract from the clip, I can upload it. Maybe you can work out why Premiere reports that clip as Progressive and why the dropped frames are not obvious.

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you could upload a clip I can have a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply, Richard, but there are dropped frames. It took me quite a while to find them by comparing the original capture with the version inside Premiere, one frame at a time, slowly stepping through. Very difficult to detect when you're only looking for one every second. I'm used to seeing half a dozen every second when going from NTSC to 23.976.

So it's turned out that theory and practice match in this case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines