• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why doesn't the playhead snap to an edit point in the Timeline?

Participant ,
Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a recent user of Premiere coming from Final Cut, there is one behavior in Premiere that I can't get used to. When I drag the playhead around while in the Timeline, I expect the playhead to snap to the ends of clips, the edit points, but it doesn't. The reason this is important behavior is because it's often that I want to do something in between two edit points (or at the end of a clip which may not be the last clip on the timeline) such as insert a clip or some other asset. In FCP, as you drag around the playhead, it will snap to various edit points, making it easy to park the playhead at a given location where I will insert a clip. With Premiere, I can get the playhead close, but it won't snap, so I never know if I'm on the exact frame I want. That means I could easily miss the end of a clip by one or two frames and never know it.

Is there a way to force a snap? or change a setting to enable playhead snapping? Of course, I would also like to temporarily disable this behavior by a keystroke, which I assume would be easy to do using the current "snap" toggle keystroke (S).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 11, 2013 Feb 11, 2013

When using the mouse and in the proximity of an edit point hold SHIFT, it will snap to that edit point.

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use these hot keys:

Go to Previous Edit Point (enabled track) - Up

Go to Next Edit Point (enabled track) - Down

Go to Previous Edit Point on Any Track - Shift+Up

Go to Next Edit Point on Any Track - Shift+Down

Of course, you can re-map these keys to suit your preferences.

Default keyboard shortcuts in CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. These keystrokes require moving my hand from the mouse to the keyboard (a step not necessary in FCP).Often, I am trying to locate a specific edit point far from where the playhead currently is so I use the mouse to get there more quickly than hitting a key several times.  Is there also a way to do it while dragging with the mouse? (Or, to put it more simply, can I set Premiere to mimic the FCP behavior of snapping while scrubbing through the timeline?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These keystrokes require moving my hand from the mouse to the keyboard

I have mapped them to left hand proximity for the same reason...

keeping my right hand on the mouse.

There is also a UI button in the program monitor for 'Go to Previous/Next Edit Point'.

Is there also a way to do it while dragging with the mouse?

Not that I am aware of.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Feature request time.

Good idea to map for lefty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PixelshotWDC2 wrote:

Thanks. Feature request time.

Good idea to map for lefty.

You want to be able to turn on snapping for every edit point? Yes, make a feature request: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing the page up or page down key snaps to the edit point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the mouse and in the proximity of an edit point hold SHIFT, it will snap to that edit point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice pick up... I wasn't aware of the feature.

Thanks, Ann.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never knew that either.  Nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fantastic. Holding Shift! Thank for the help solving such a simple problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 29, 2015 Apr 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we are getting some new functionality in these areas soon.  eg Clip selection under Playhead.

Did I read that or imagine that?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 27, 2014 May 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your preferences, on the general tab check Snap playhead in timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew you had to be able to make it automatic without using another keystroke... thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You've got it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better point pointed out below by jbellomo‌ is to open Premiere Preferences, General, and check the tap "Snap playhead in timeline". Now it will ALWAYS do it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this, Keith! I just reinstalled Premiere and wondered what happened to my playhead snapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try the keyboard shortcut "S". This enables and disables the snap to feature in Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1626890722581.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines