Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

your experince with final cut pro vs adobe premiere?

New Here ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just wondering about your experience with final cut pro and adobe premiere and which you like better and why. Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FCP 8 was anticipated to be GREAT!!!

Just needed to be updated to run better w/ the new CPU & GPU advances.

FCP X is essentially iMovie Pro.

Changed (for the worse) nomenclature & editing process.

Wacky project organization.

Non-adjustable GUI.

Lots of awesome Canned & Easily Applied FX.

Premiere CC stuck with my School-Trained way of editing.

I continue editing & making a living without jumping through hoops or changing my workflow.

Cross-Platform compatibility.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only did a little trial bit with FCP, then went with the Adobe suite because of the related programs. I'm a one-man operation doing all stages of production so having my NLE, effects, grading, audio, encoding & authoring programs all pretty much talk & play nicely with each other is huge. Especially now the Direct Link from PrPro to Speedgrade for grading ... slick & quick & possible any moment in a project without waiting hour/s for proxy/DPX/EDL outputs/inputs/returns.

Never looked back. And parts of FCP looked handy ... just only handled part of my needs.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dorian86 wrote:

I am just wondering about your experience with final cut pro and adobe premiere and which you like better and why.

I've posted this in other threads here: I've tried the Final Cut Pro X 30 day trial on my old Mac Pro 5,1 (heavily modified) and my new Mac Pro 6,1 (8-core, D700s).  I have a specific benchmark that I run on an NLE when I'm testing it: how long does it take to export one of my movies to a 720p h.264 MP4?

If we assume the length of the movie is represented by 't' (for time) -

The old Mac Pro and Final Cut Pro X 10.0: 2t

The new Mac Pro and new Final Cut Pro X 10.1: 1/2t + epsilon

The old Mac Pro and Premiere Pro CC: 1/2t + epsilon

The new Mac Pro and Premiere Pro CC: 1/2t - epsilon

The newer version of Final Cut Pro X is substantially faster at exporting my movie than the older version.  But Premiere is still faster than it is.  Also, Apple still can't get the whole "edit the source footage raw" bit right; my source footage is all spanned-clip AVCHD, with files that are over 4G a piece.  FCPX can't just open those raw, it insists on putting a MOV wrapper around the footage.  There's no transcoding happening, but the file I/O for those massive files slows the whole process down significantly.

Because I don't have years of experience editing with NLEs, I'm not married to any particular UI.  FCPX's UI is ... strange, but I didn't find it too difficult to become used to it.  If it were faster and more efficient for what I do, I'd reconsider it.  But for now, it's all Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines