• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lock Workspace

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us have the ability to LOCK a workspace once we have the panels and windows in place. Accidental click and drags causing windows and panels to shift and resize or disappear all-together when you're in the middle of editing is really frustrating.
Idea No status
TOPICS
User experience or interface

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us have the ability to LOCK a workspace once we have the panels and windows in place. Accidental click and drags causing windows and panels to shift and resize or disappear all-together when you're in the middle of editing is really frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In 15 years of using Premiere Pro I've never once "accidentally" changed the workspace. Nor has anyone ever complained about it in the forums.

I don't think this issue warrants the use of Adobe's limited resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that has helped me with this is binding a key to reset to saved layout. That way I can always get back to right where I like quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely essential. When you're using an editing app, you're using something akin to a 'single use machine'. Premiere is awfully sensitive to a stray click - particularly when using a pen and tablet, which many do. It's so easy to accidentally sweep a window offscreen or ***** up a workspace. Not only within the app, but also the entire window should be able to be locked. It should also be possible to run Premiere as windowless, as an option, so that it completely takes over the entire interface with no menu bar visible. It's an incredible interruption to one's work when you have to go and figure out where that window or tab went.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is incredibly frustrating. I am constantly having to reset the panels because I accidentally move them! This really slows me down. A lock panels feature would be nice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alan is right. I also have a shortcut for this and it's great.

On the flip side, imagine the frustration of a newer user who doesn't know that their workspace has become locked, and now they can't move things around as they could before. They'd believe it to be a bug. They might not even know what to search for to solve the problem. Perhaps "premiere panels are frozen, help!!"

It seems to me that if you are moving your panels around accidentally, perhaps you are attempting to work faster than you are able. I always focus on accuracy first, and then speed... never the other way around. Are you not quite looking at where your cursor is going? Is your mouse sensitivity set really high? I don't mean to sound patronizing... it's just that I've only seen this problem in editors who are trying to work faster than they are able... which ultimately slows them down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TaranVH You should make the best product you can. The fact that you can not LOCK panals is a complete oversight. I am sure a new user could figure out where the radio button to turn LOCK PANELS on and off. If they can not then they are going to have more future problems with the app.

Also someone mention something about "moving to fast" speed is everything and I have to reset my panels daily. I could blame the Wacom tablet but PP setup needs to work out of the gate and right now it is missing one LARGE feature and that is PANELS LOCK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes I know you can reset the panels but it is still an aggravation, there should be a simple way to lock and unlock it it is so aggravating whenever you accidentally move something and then have to reset it again.. I'm not worried about newbies they will figure it out..

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG PLEASE LOCK THE WORKSPACE! What is the point to having a saved workspace if you can change it at any time? Like another user who posted here, I sometimes click on the wrong thing and POOF whatever panel I was in goes away and I have no idea how to get this back. The interface is the opposite of intuitive. I am well versed in many programs in the Adobe Suite (especially Photoshop, 20 years of use and nearly expert) but just started using Premiere Pro. Right now I absolutely HATE this program because nothing stays where it is and I have no idea why things keep setting themselves. I waste a tremendous amount of time managing your interface and not creating. Again, PLEASE add an option to lock a workspace.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it needs to be said that the workspace lock should be an extremely easy to access button as well as highly 'discoverable' (and perhaps a keyboard shortcut as well), for those times an editor wants to quickly change the layout of something and then re-lock their workspace. Perhaps a lock icon next to the Help menu? Where ever this button is placed, it should always be accessible no matter what layout is used. Another possibility would be to always have the layout locked by default, and require users to press a keyboard modifier to be able to move anything around, such as Ctrl. If someone tries to move something and can't, a tooltip could warn the user they need to press Ctrl while changing the interface.

Which method do you guys think would work best?

Personally I think it would be a combination of both ideas. The lock button AND keyboard modifier to temporarily override the state of the lock button when it's locked. Best of both worlds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lock is not a problem for me, RECALL from my own presets is really still a problem.
While the fixed Adobe layouts always recall the same way no matter what project your are in, this does not work with selfmade presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So so SO important!! Very practical, day-to-day fix. Must have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim_Simon This happens to me on a daily basis. Premiere gets a little laggy or wonky or confused and I end up dragging a sequence changing the workspace. Or moving another panel.

It's possible that no one posted it before because most people do not post on problems in general. It's an annoyance that seems like a simple fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed that a lock button and option to create a keyboard modifier would work perfectly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TaranVH The simple obvious fix is Workspace Lock is not a default. It's something you can turn on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2023 Feb 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When we need to have multiple timeline tabs lined above the timeline window for quick access, we become super prone to dragging the timeline window somewhere else instead of scrubbing the timeline.
Current workaround is to constantly reset to workspace. Happens to me and all the editors around me too. Especially if we are using a wacom or moving too quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2023 Mar 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't agree at all. Just because it's never appeared in the forums before doesn't mean it's not a frustrating and important fix. Every issue has to be presented for the first time at some point. Not a reasonable example as to why this should be dismissed by the Adobe Team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe this isn't a feature. @Jim_Simon is an idiot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second the sentiment that Jim Simon has nothing of value to contribute to these forums. I've seen him post his drivel on many threads, and not once was it anything of value.  Trolls like him should be banned, but since he loves to play devid's advocate at the expense of other users, rather than ban him, Adobe gave him the label of 'Legend'.  Go figure!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, this is so so important and currently very annoying. At times Premiere does not even reopen my custom workspace properly even if I did not touch it. And yes, errors happen and it is very frustrating having to reset the workspace layout or reposition a window that for some reason Premiere could not recall the exact arrangement.

Already in May, hope that Adobe won't take 5 years to add a Lock button and correct the small bugs in Workspaces...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2023 Oct 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree, this should be a feature.  All too easy to accidentally re-arrange panels.  Has bothered me for a very long time but I never knew others shared the same sentiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2023 Nov 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should definately be the feature! Really annoys me, everytime I edit this happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

very annoying that I cannot lock my windows.  I work between timelines regularly and I often errantly drag a timeline out and seperate.  I do not have a dual screen so this is not a workable layout so I then need to reset.  Each instance takes about :20 but when you are in the minutia of editing, and it happens over and over, it is very annoying.  I'm not even sure how I do it (wish I knew).  Only started happenning with the newer magic mouse.  A visible lock, like you lock the sequence layers, would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate