• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Off Screen Deletion in Timeline

Enthusiast ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a feature request, or a post meant to at least provoke a design discussion.

After decades of operating, one user-error I still execute occassionally is accidentally deleting media in the timeline if it is offscreen (not displayed in the current visible section of the timeline panel). This is a challenge as user, because I usually don't discover these errors until some time later, making them a real annoyance to correct. (If they are caught quickly, sometimes simple "undo"s will suffice, otherwise it's finding corrections in sequence versions or auto-saves.)

One such scenario is if I am working with the selection tool and happen to leave a clip selected and then work in another spot on the timline. Hitting the delete key will then have an effect I do not observe (deleting a clip, unseen in another section of timeline). Another scenario is having in and out and tracks selected, but with the in and out off screen in the timeline panel. If I hit the delete key it has an effect I do no observe.

In fact, in these scenarios, the software gives NO FEEDBACK to the user on operations just executed. They are definitely user error, but the software is not really helping the user by giving FEEDBACK as to what it is doing.

I suggest a couple of solutions:

- scrolling the timeline to the point where operations are executed; this would likely surprise the user (me) in the cases I've outlined above, and alert me to the fact that I've done something I don't want to do

- displaying a (momentary) warning that clips not visible in the timeline panel were just deleted

R.

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
1 Comment
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Moved to the Ideas section of the Premiere Pro forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate