• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save thumbnails cache for project panel thumbnail view

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The processing of thumbs at each opening of the project is really distressing. I would like to have the option to save these metadata at disk for faster start.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Hi All,

Sorry for the problem. We have added GPU support for thumbnails in the latest beta builds, and we believe thumbnails generation should be quicker and more efficient now. 

Please check out the latest beta build version from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Beta builds from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your project files(&med

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Afternoon all, just screen capped a video of this happening. Will upload in a bit. Wheres the dude asking for recreating the issue I saw post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just pressed the button, give it 20 mins https://youtu.be/0amCKcKB5dU . For the benefit of Adobe Dev this is the issue in effect.
Reminder: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor @ 3.60 GHz , 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. SSDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the video Luke. I can see two issues : first indeed the thumbnails are not cached, leading to constant regeneration. Second, some video files can be very slow to open and create the first thumbnails, slowing down even more the first issue. We'll study that more in depth

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe team. I'm running i9 12900k and 3090Ti on an SSD. It is ridiculous that I'll have to wait for footage thumbnails to generate every time. I mean... Why? Please fix! What good are system upgrades when a small thing can just render all that null.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
Could you confirm the amount of files per Bin/folder you have when it takes a lot of time to regenerate ?
Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Close to 15 files per bin. But the problem persists even if I have just 2 or 3 files. 1 file maybe doesn't take that long but still... It's still more than a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Antoine, the number of files in a bin makes no difference whatsoever in the processing of thumbnails as far as I can tell since whether you have 50 or 500, it will only generate thumbnails for the 20 or so files that are currently in view. Even if you open a bin, take a 30 minute break and come back, none of the files that are out of view will have a thumbnail. They'll get generated only once they're scrolled into view. This design is complete insanity and part of the reason I'm so annoyed with the Pr team for spending so many resources on interface redesigns that are of little help (ie. New import/output pages) while continuing to neglect massive problems like this one. A lot of people talk about background rendering. How about that rendering include thumbnails too?! Render files don't disappear every time you reopen a project, so why should thumbnails?! Adobe's silence on this issue is quite telling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Sunny and Pierre-Louis for the info. Once you scroll to the first batch of clips without thumbnails, how fast are the thumbnails generated for those clips ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Takes around 30 to 45 seconds for the first 9 thumbnails in the view. If I expand the window, it takes close to 1 minute or 2 for 25 clips to generate a thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all the information people. Seems like it's a complicated topic, let me ask one (hopefully) last question : as I see there are three places where the thumbnails could be constantly regenerated :

* 1) Project Panel Bin with imported files
* 2) Media Browser
* 3) Timeline

Pierre-Louis Baranek when you mean a "bin" you're talking about 1), correct ? Otherwise, would a folder in the media browser also display this annoying bug of regeneration ? We can replicate some of the behavior sometimes, but not all the time, so the more info to clear up the situation, the better

Thanks everyone
Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny, on my system with 32GB ram, 8 core i9, and a Geforce2070, this was no issue. But when I moved to an AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 core with 128GB ram and a RTX 3090, suddenly I'm having this issue and it's the worst. In case that data helps the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To follow up -- noting that for me, my cache folder had erroneously been reset to the project folder I guess after a PPRo update, and not the cache folder on my SSD. After updating that, the issue appears to be better. Another difference between systems is the i9 is running Windows 10, this one is running Windows 11 and running McAffee (have to for work)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been having this problem for a year now. I've tried everything (M2 SSD, proxies, cache clear and location, etc). I've made the decision to switch to DaVinci. This, crashing, and export bugs were bad enough to where I'm willing to learn a new application and lose a few features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Windows PC, this issue was annoying but now on my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro, it's downright aggravating. While editing, the thumbnails in my timeline often disappear completely and then quickly start redrawing one by one, slowing everything down, before disappearing again and redrawing in a constant loop, 3-5 times before the nonsense ends. Once this bug begins, it seems to keep happening until I reopen my project. Anyone else seeing this problem on a MacBook? It never happened on my Windows computer or on my 13.3" M1 MacBook Pro but that could simply be due to the fact I used prior versions on Pr on that MacBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,
Our latest version of Influx Importer https://www.autokroma.com/Influx
caches decoded thumbnails, It would be great if you could test it and give us your feedback !

There is a free demo where this feature works for free ! By default it'll only work for new extensions and codecs. But you could turn "override adobe" checkbox in the settings of Influx temporarily just to test this feature and see if we can improve on Adobe Premiere Pro behavior

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice, I have a massive project with 12 bins with each about 60- 100 video files in them, when I open the project I have to wait for all of them to load again, scroll through them to make them load.. This takes me about 5 minutes before I can properly start editing every time I open my project, how is this even possible. I have a super fast pc, this should not be okay for professional software like this, especially since this issue has been reported since 2018! How can creating a cash folder for this be so hard.. It is already storing them whenever they are created, why are they deleted upon closing the program I don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue... please fix this, it's very frustrating and can't focus properly on editing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. This issue only happens with inter-frame codecs. Use an intra-frame codec (e.g. ProRes with your proxies) and the issue will be solved. Scrolling through thumbnails will be as smooth as butter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@david Rivera
When modern computers are perfectly adequate at editing interframe codec clips such as H.264 without any hiccups, but the software being used huff's and puffs just to display thumbnails for those very same clips, the issue isn't the computer nor the user's workflow, but the unoptimization of the software itself.

When you create proxies, those proxies don't need to be recreated every time you open your project, right? Well, this same basic logic should apply to thumbnails too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please fix.
honestly I've given up at this point.
I've been in this abusive relationship with adobe premiere for the past 10 years.
I'm going to davinci after this project is done.
honestly, who is even managing this product?
do you know how many human hours you wasted just because you can't do your job and lead your team to bug fix properly? millions of hours wasted around the globe just because you're incompetent and a lazy sack of s**t.

this issue has been here for 4 years and yet no fix.
what a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this ever getting improved let alone fixed? I'll take any improvement at the moment, I'm actually yelling at my computer everyday.. that bad, all thumbnails in project panel and timeline which is really causing me some serious stress.. Trying to Grade a series of short mini Doccies I've been working on and it's driving me insane. PLEASE PLEASE FIX THIS !!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we are now working in two shifts (2x 9h)
- one scrolls through all the bins until the tumbnails are created
- and the second edits afterwards

again: a fix, a workaround or give some jobs with icebears in a snowstorm, so you don't need any tumbnails in the bin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

Did anyone test the solution I provided ?

Our latest version of Influx Importer https://www.autokroma.com/Influx
caches decoded thumbnails, It would be great if you could test it and give us your feedback !

There is a free demo where this feature works for free ! By default it'll only work for new extensions and codecs. But you could turn "override adobe" checkbox in the settings of Influx temporarily just to test this feature and see if we can improve on Adobe Premiere Pro behavior

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like it could just make a cache of them once and be done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been an important issue for some time... I think it´s time Adobe takes it seriously. I don´t care about how many new things you throw on an update if what really matters when working isn´t right.

Votes

Translate

Translate