• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save thumbnails cache for project panel thumbnail view

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The processing of thumbs at each opening of the project is really distressing. I would like to have the option to save these metadata at disk for faster start.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Performance or Stability

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Aug 08, 2023 Aug 08, 2023

Hi All,

Sorry for the problem. We have added GPU support for thumbnails in the latest beta builds, and we believe thumbnails generation should be quicker and more efficient now. 

Please check out the latest beta build version from the creative cloud and let us know how it goes there.

You can download the latest Beta builds from Creative Cloud --> Beta apps
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/creative-cloud-public-beta.html

If you still face this issue, please share your project files(&med

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came here looking for the solution to this 2018 question and it's still not resolved in the autumn of 2021. Adobe, please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree with these comments. I have a killer computer I built - to the design specs as outlined by Adobe. I feel like an idiot thinking they would not support their own advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all - I saw a comment about enabling proxies. OMG - that really helped me at least. I went to Edit/Preferences/Media and turned on Enable proxies. Wow. really helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am downloading Davinci Resolve right now. This is just too much...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Horrible having to wait for all the thumbnails to load. I have freeware that does a better job of saving and loading thumbnails from the last time Ive opened a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate the slow loading of thumbnails, drives me crazy. Please fix a.s.a.p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, yes and yes. Please implement this feature as it would hugely increase the editing-workflow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello world, I'd also like it very much if I could have Icon View that creates thumbnails once, and saves them. I've got a decent computer but this flaw is a total **** in that I have to recreate thumbnails, every, single, time I open the project.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 1600X Six-Core Processor @ 3.60 GHz , 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. SSDs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please fix this in the timeline as well! Working with hundreds of 4k clips is a nightmare due to the thumbnails in the timelines needing to be regenerated every time I scroll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the worst part of Premiere and seems so absurd. Why does it not do some kind of caching of the thumbnails? Why can't I just generate them all? It redraws them constantly as you scroll around the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is crazy how painful this is. I could see if there's a lag when you mouse over the Thumbnail/Icon, and it has to switch from still to live video, so you can access that scrubbing functionality... but just to see the default image for each clip? Why does it take so long? It's not ACTUALLY generating a new image dynamically EVERY time, is it?

Is there a way to change the configuration of Premiere to handle these folder's media display differently? Or target a different location for the thumbnails and/or cache specifically for these?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to chime in here too. Been an issue for the decade I've been exclusively using Premiere. Not only do bins have to reload their thumbnails all the time but even timelines. Every time I bounce back and forth between sequences, thumbnails need to reload. Sometimes they even reload while I'm in the middle of playing back. This really needs to get addressed. Its an issue they keeps getting worse as the more advanced the footage keeps getting year after year, camera model after camera model. This whole part of Premiere needs a complete overhaul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This drives me nuts & to the point I stopped and took time out of my day to hunt down a uservoice request. Lo & behold, I forgot I've already voted and commented on this 4 year old idea twice now!!!

So here's my periodic upvote. I'll be back again next year I'm sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No matter how powerful the machine, how big the files, what format. This issue persists everywhere and with everyone. It drives us insane. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FIX IT.

Every single person using premiere wants this issue solved. More information of this issue at the community post below.
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/slow-thumbnail-generation-in-premiere-pro/m-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone in adobe is watching this please listen to these bulk of comments below including mine that the slow loading of Thumbnails in Icon view is just ridiculous and very hard to deal with when you have to get projects done in time. Please make the thumbnails cache once they load in. I don't care how much space it takes i.e. how much does it take to be honest it's just a small jpg maybe.. SO please please please fix this. I'm a Davinci User as well and they have seem to have no problems like this. But I am primarly a Premiere user because that is what I grew up on and this issue is like you're pushing your customers towards other alternatives so Please I request again. Please fix this issue....

Running on Premiere Pro 2021
My Specification:
Lenovo Legion-5
Ryzen 7 5800H
RTX 3060
16 GB 2666 MHz Memory
512GB Gen 4 SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're trying to improve this situation at Autokroma, could anyone share sample files that pose this kind of issues ? We don't reproduce this issue fully yet on our computers. Contact us here https://www.autokroma.com/contact

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Antione,

Any 4K 50 of 100fps files of H264 of H265. (Sony A7s3)
When starting the project zooming in and out of the timeline
With proxies there is no issues. But full size videofiles it's a delaying issue when editing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Boy. Are you still talking about the Project Panel media explorer thumbnails ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. The timeline as wel as the project tab with the thumbnail view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean the thumbnails you see on the timeline takes time to appear ? Or you're talking about the Preview Monitor of the current sequence is laggy (slow decoding of the files) ? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Boy Linders - Your video just shows that computers struggle to decode Long GOP video - no real surprises there and it's why you use proxies.

The feature request relates to the need for project panel thumbnails to be saved to disk so that Premiere doesn't re-generate them in RAM every time a bin is opened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Boy, We don't see the bottom and right of the screen but yeah you're also talking about real video decoding here

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Alex Elkins Yeah you're right, but isn't it related. If there is going te be a cache for the project panel. Couldnt this also solve this issue in the timeline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not the same because for it to work in the timeline you'd need Premiere to generate a thumbnail for every frame - that is what a proxy essentially is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I'm sorry that I misunderstood this topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate