• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trim Previous/Next Edit to Playhead on selected clips

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add the option for "Trim Previous Edit to Playhead" and "Trim Next Edit to Playhead" trim only with selected clips instead of trim all target track. People seem to use trim selected clip more often than trim track. Thanks
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I completely agree, this CAN be done (slowly and cumbersome-ly) by double clicking the clip, and selecting a new in/out point in the source monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it now can do manually by several click. I mean if the shortcut Trim Edit to Playhead work only selected clip, it will faster the work and also give user more freedom to choose what to trim the head and tail

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate a bit more on how you'd like this to work. Are you referring specifically to ripple edits? Have you noticed that we do have a trim option that will trim the clip under the playhead and will not ripple the track?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is not about the different between RIPPLE TRIM and TRIM TO PLAYHEAD. The problem is the option TRIM TO PLAYHEAD now is cut to all targeting track. We need an option that the TRIM TO PLAYHEAD cut only to the clip that we selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press Q to trim the front end many times,it will cut the footage frame by frame ,it should not ,WTF!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tuan, have you tried an Extend Selected Edit to Playhead? This works for both extending and trimming even though it's named "Extend".

Select the head or tail of a clip with the Selection Tool, position the playhead, and the press E (or Sequence > Extend Selected Edit to Playhead).

You can use the Ripple Tool instead of the Selection Tool to ripple trim clips.

This also works with multiple head and/or tail selections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, there is more than one way to trim a clip, so we suggest that trim to playhead on a selected clip could be faster. As extend selected edit could work to, but in some case for example the is to long so want to trim you have to scroll back to selected the edit.

If the trim to playhead could work on selected clip we also can trim while playing. Moreover, to trim head and tail of a selected clip, It only takes 1 mouse click (select the clip) and 2 key press on the shortcut (trim to playhead on selected clip)

With extend selected edit to playhead, trim head and tail could take 2 mouse clicks (select head and tail edit) and 2 key press on the shortcut ( E )

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use the "E" key

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be so nice to have modifiers so It only does Ripple Trim Previous/Next Edit to Playhead to a SINGLE clip. (eg: ctrl+shift+alt+W/Q) Currently it affects ALL clips which is tedious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The function should be called "Ripple Trim Next CLIP To Playhead". Should work exactly as Trim Next Edit To Playhead, except that it should ripple the following clips on the same track.

A variant could be to ripple only the adjacent clip.

The current Ripple Edit-version that ripple all tracks is extremely seldom used compared to how often this function would be used.

I have little experience from other NLEs, but when googling about this I find many comments that state "all other editors have this functionality" so I take it it's a no brainer and cannot take more than 15 minutes for your developer to add this extremely useful, simple, time efficient and very sought after functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Greetings Fellow editors,

I developed new extension: EXCALIBUR. It has "Trim In/Out Point to Playhead" command, which does exactly what you want.
And you can assign shortcut to this command.

But it does much more than that, learn more here:
overview: https://youtu.be/ecZ-UA3zavw
manuscript: http://manuscript.knightsoftheeditingtable.com/extensions/excalibur

Votes

Translate

Translate